This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Soon Before Seeing A Change?

Triplets

Triplets Newbie

Thanks to those that responded, I have realized that I was "reinfecting" myself through pans, cutting boards, toasters, shampoo, face moisturizer and horse feed. I have made changes, but still seem to be having daily discomfort (although milder). So I guess my next question is: Once I am truly gluten-free, how long before I should start seeing a reduction in episodes of diarrhea and abdominal pain? I know that everyone is different, but should I give it a couple of days or a couple of weeks to let things settle out?

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sickchick Community Regular

For me it took a while because I had other intolerances that I was totally unaware of.

But once I got all my no-no's out of my system, 2 weeks for my 'd' to stop totally. :)

Good luck!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com:
    Donate

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17-M):

• Recent Activity

1. - GardeningForHealth replied to GardeningForHealth's topic in Coping with Celiac Disease

10 years later, my celiac is progressing

2. - GardeningForHealth replied to GardeningForHealth's topic in Coping with Celiac Disease

10 years later, my celiac is progressing

3. - sc'Que? commented on Scott Adams's article in Summer 2024 Issue

Speculating on Benjamin Franklin's Health: Could He Have Had Celiac Disease?

4. - TessaBaker replied to MiriamW's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Hair loss

5. - Celiac16 replied to Sultana's topic in Related Issues & Disorders

Thiamine supplementation

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Celiac Family
    Newest Member
    Celiac Family
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• GardeningForHealth
      As a side note, it seems that medical science has evolved in the past 5-6 years regarding Celiac Disease, and I am now catching up. It seems that anything that disrupts the microbiome sufficiently enough can--in genetically susceptible individuals--lead to Celiac Disease. I have been reading now that antibiotics, excessive simple carbohydrates such as refined sugars and starches, the manner of birth such as C-section vs vaginal delivery, the diversity of one's diet, the presence of certain bacteria or viruses, can all contribute to microbiome dysbiosis, which can lead to Celiac. This is fascinating research.
    • GardeningForHealth
      I mostly eat healthy. My diet has varied over the past 10 years but mostly consisted of meals I cooked at home made from scratch. Ingredients I used over the years include (not in order): non-wheat grains such as teff, sorghum, millet, and eggs, butter, cheese, some milk, meat (poultry, red meat, but very little processed meat), gluten-free baked bread (mostly Canyon Bakehouse brand), vegetables, fruits, nuts, legumes, peanuts, chocolate (not in the past 6 months). However, the mistakes I made in my diet are that I consumed too much sugar and carbohydrates from gluten-free baked goods that I baked myself at home such as gluten-free dessert items, and also I ate pretty much the same exact meals over and over, so a great lack of diversity in what I ate. I got lazy. I think this messed up my microbiome. The meals I ate were mostly healthy though. I always made sure to eat vegetables and fruits on a daily basis.  I have checked for nutrient deficiencies over the years and I am sometimes low in Vitamin D. I started supplementing it after that. What concerns me is the progressive nature of the food intolerances, which indicates the gut is not healing and has been leaking all along. 
    • TessaBaker
      It sounds like you're dealing with a complex situation, and I can understand how frustrating it must be not to have a clear answer. Gut health can indeed play a significant role in various aspects of our well-being, including hair health.
    • Celiac16
      I have found similar benefits from thiamine. I was diagnosed with celiac at 16 and never really recovered despite strict gluten and dairy free diet and no detectable antibodies on checkup bloodworks. I’ve tried stopping the b1 but start to feel bad again- I wanted my doctors to do more extensive testing for the different thiamine transporters and enzymes which would be a better indication if I was deficient or dependent on it but everyone dismisses it (there are know genetic mutations where you need to take it daily for life). I have looked into Thiamine Responsive Megablast Anemia and I have a lot of the more mild symptoms of the disease that manifest when thiamine isn’t given to the patient such as optic neuritis… I just find the parallels interesting. i think that celiacs could be a side issue of inflammation that resulted from vitamin deficiencies. I was eating a lot of sugar leading up to my diagnosis and since eating gluten free didn’t make me feel much better, I’m wondering if this was more the underlying issue (sugar heavily depletes b1). I usually take 1.5g thiamine a day.
    • Fluka66
      Thank you for your welcome and reply.  Yes I've been carefully reading labels looking for everything in bold and have been amazed by what I have seen. However Heinz tomato and basil soup is wheat free so I m thinking I already have ulcers?  The acid could be causing the pain . My pain always starts in one place then follows the same route through me . GP confirmed that is the route of our digestive system.  So much pain from stabbing to tearing. If I throw in milk with lactose it's horrific.  Many years of it now, won't go into details but been seeing a consultant for a supposedly different problem . Wondering what damage has been done over the years. Many thanks for your reply. Wishing you the very best.