This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Restaurants In Washington, Dc?

slmprofesseur

slmprofesseur Apprentice

Hello all... I am going to DC for a few days in Aug. I was wondering if anyone knew of any Gluten-free restaurants. Thanks in advance!:)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Tim-n-VA Contributor

Most of the chain restaurants that are mentioned on this site have locations in the area. A local chain - Austin Grill - serves Tex-Mex and they have a gluten free menu.

Do you know what area you'll be staying in. I'm not familar with the Maryland suburbs but someone might have specific suggestions for that side of town.

slmprofesseur Apprentice

We will be staying in Arlington, close to the Rosslyn Metro stop.

Tim-n-VA Contributor

There is a Chipotle in that area (many threads here on the pros/cons regarding cc). There is also a BBQ place called Red, Hot and Blue that doesn't have a gluten free menu but I've survived work lunches at their other locations by getting one of their all meat platters - not ideal.

Assuming you are going to take the Metro and do the tourist thing. The American Art museum and National Portrait gallery are just a few blocks north of the Mall. They are open later than the other museums (until 7 on weekdays). One block from there is both a metro stop (Verizon Center/Chinatown) and a Legal Seafood.

GFinDC Veteran

P F Chang's chinese and Outback Steak house are 2 chains with gluten-free options. Although I wouldn't trust the fortune cookies or condiments that PF Changs gives out with the gluten-free options.

slmprofesseur Apprentice

Thanks! I will suggest one of those places to some friends. Luckily I will have use of a kitchen for all but one night.

One question about PF Changs, (we don't have one in SWVA), will there be any shellfish or peanut cc issues I need to consider?

Tim-n-VA Contributor

What part of SW Va? I frequently visit family around Abingdon and am always looking for gluten free option there or along I-81.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

slmprofesseur Apprentice

Roanoke, it's 2-3 hrs I think from Abingdon. We have Abuelos, Caberra's (Italian), and there's a restaurant in downtown Roanoke called Nico's. If you get reservations, they will prepare a Gluten-free meal.

I am not sure p-f changs will work. My son was diagnosed with more allergies this week. We added chicken, fish, rye, and barley. Ha, ha. The doctor was surprised but I wasn't. I knew a long time ago that he reacted to rye and barley. She said there was no way he could be celiac, but tested him anyway.

As for our trip, I will be staying in a hotel. Grandma doesn't understand even the allergies.

Archived