Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Tyson Chicken Breast
2 2

14 posts in this topic

Is their boneless, skinless chicken breast gluten free? I see they have added broth.

Ads by Google:

No one knows? I emailed them, but no answer. I just thought someone would know.

I got a bag of the frozen chicken you are talking about at WalMart... I have had it a couple of times and haven't noticed any problems. I was going to call them about the broth in it but forgot before I left for work.

There should be a toll free line on the bag you can call.

Is their boneless, skinless chicken breast gluten free? I see they have added broth.

I just called really quick and asked -- did't get into detail though about what type of broth (ahh forgot, I am on lunch right now at work). The rep at the contact phone number said that the broth is gluten free and so is that chicken.

All plain meats/chicken/etc are gluten free. By law, any grain must be listed on meat products.

Its gluten free.

Thanks all. It just said chicken broth and not what was in the broth. So I just wondered. Thanks again.

I never did get an email, but I DID get a letter in the mail. :D It said the chicken broth was gluten free and they sent me coupons. :P Yeah!

I never did get an email, but I DID get a letter in the mail. :D It said the chicken broth was gluten free and they sent me coupons. :P Yeah!

Thanks so much for doing the leg work on this for me! I usually buy the Great Value brand at Walmart, but they were out and I bought the Tyson brand. Forgot to check on gluten-free status until just now when I'm about to throw it in the oven. Thanks so much!

I'm not sure if they have gluten or not, but I do know that I always react to Tyson chicken, along with Holly Farms, Great Value, and Kroger brands, all of which say they contain a broth solution. The reaction is just like a gluten reaction, maybe even a tad more violent than if I simply ate a loaf of bread. But it's bad.

I've since switched to other brands of chicken like Perdue (they provide a gluten-free list on their website), some Food Lion frozen chicken (that uses only a salt/water solution), Harvestland, and locally-raised options...and I never react to them.

I did a test to confirm my suspicions, and isolated it to the chicken after having continued gluten-like reactions to simple dishes like chicken and rice. When I switched chicken suppliers, the reactions went away and have been gone for more than 8 months.

Not sure why that would be, but I avoid Tyson products now as a result to be on the safe side. I don't even have chicken in a restaurant unless I can verify its source, it's too risky and I react too horribly to it to take the chance.

"I always react to Tyson chicken, along with Holly Farms, Great Value, and Kroger brands,"

I've used all of those brands except GV and they are gluten-free.

richard

Hi All,

I know I'm arriving late to this conversation but I found this thread today as I was doing a bit of research (somehow I just realized that the boneless skinless chicken breasts I've been purchasing for 3 years may have had gluten in them - yikes!). Anyway, I did a search on the Tyson website and found this information:

http://www.tyson.com...en-Chicken.aspx

It specifically states,

"INGREDIENTS:

Boneless, skinless chicken breasts with rib meat contains up to 15% natural chicken broth. ALL NATURAL CHICKEN BROTH INGREDIENTS: Chicken broth, salt, natural flavorings.

CONTAINS NO ALLERGENS"

This may be old news to everyone else, but it was helpful/reassuring for me :)

On 2/18/2013 at 1:44 PM, texasarah said:

I'm also responding late to this thread, but when I read this last response I had to comment.  I'm not celiac, but have a multitude of food intolerance, which cause extreme inflammation in my whole body and many physical repercussions.  I'm Always finding something else that titles up my body even when I thought I was eating safely.  

Please be aware that natural flavoring is something you should avoid.  It is listed on ingredient lists, but they don't tell you what is in it!  I have too avoid it like the plague, along with caramel coloring.  They both very often include a wheat derivative.  

I just ate two different kilter products, a fresh Turkey for thanksgiving and a Tyson whole chicken yesterday.  I have reacted to both. 😭😭.  The solution is the culprit.  There was no other foods that were suspect because they were freshly prepared veggies and sweet potatoes which don't bother me.

This is so frustrating....    There are many other additives and preservatives that also affect me.  So I eat fresh only... Make all my own food.  

Hope this helps someone who still reacts when they think they're eating cleanly but react.

On 2/18/2013 at 1:44 PM, texasarah said:

"INGREDIENTS:

Boneless, skinless chicken breasts with rib meat contains up to 15% natural chicken broth. ALL NATURAL CHICKEN BROTH INGREDIENTS: Chicken broth, salt, natural flavorings.

CONTAINS NO ALLERGENS"

This may be old news to everyone else, but it was helpful/reassuring for me :)

3 hours ago, snow4jc said:

Please be aware that natural flavoring is something you should avoid.  It is listed on ingredient lists, but they don't tell you what is in it!  I have too avoid it like the plague, along with caramel coloring.  They both very often include a wheat derivative.  

I just ate two different kilter products, a fresh Turkey for thanksgiving and a Tyson whole chicken yesterday.  I have reacted to both. 😭😭.  The solution is the culprit.  There was no other foods that were suspect because they were freshly prepared veggies and sweet potatoes which don't bother me.

This is so frustrating....    There are many other additives and preservatives that also affect me.  So I eat fresh only... Make all my own food.  

Hope this helps someone who still reacts when they think they're eating cleanly but react.

Please do not spread rumors like this on the board. These 2 items are a huge misconception. Please read the following links:

http://www.glutenfreedietitian.com/flavorings-extracts-are-they-gluten-free/

http://www.delightglutenfree.com/glutenfreemyths#.Vm8UoRGG-Ww

If natural flavors and carmel coloring were glutening celiacs then most of us would be dead by now. 

Squirming itch is right.  I drank a Diet Coke on Saturday during a party and I did not get glutened.  It was full of Carmel coloring.  There was not any safe party food for me.  Diet Coke is not healthy, but at least I looked like I was indulging in something!