74 replies to this topic

#1 Will The Thrill

Will The Thrill

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 10:53 AM

I'm a 13 year old boy and have had celiac for 3 years and have never intentionally eaten gluten once. Everywhere i go i am surrounded by wheat and temptations and I just cant take it. All of the specially made gluten free food tastes awful to me so i only eat things that are naturally gluten free. My sister and all of my friends try and get me to eat just a little bit of wheat and i don't know what to do. I am also a vegetarian and my family only buys low or no fat things. Can anybody help me? I don't think i can go without eating gluten unless something changes.
It's raining snowman parts!!!!!!!!!!
people need to appreciate the little things in life........ like socks

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Ridgewalker

Ridgewalker

Adavanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:25 AM

Will,
I am so sorry you're going through this!!! Dealing with both your own cravings PLUS other people being gluten pushers.... the combo is incredibly hard to deal with.

Let's look at one thing at a time. First, the Pushers.

If you were older, I'd suggest spelling out the symptoms you get when you get glutened. But I'm betting that describing your vomiting, diarrhea, or who knows what to your friends wouldn't be something you'd want to do. So how 'bout this... Every time someone offers you a gluteny food, you respond in a calm, casual, friendly voice: "No thanks, that would give me cancer." End of story. Same line, every time, and it doesn't need to be embellished on, unless you feel like it.

Secondly...
As for your cravings, you HAVE to find some treat that you can look to when it gets bad. Do you do any cooking, or pretty much leave it to Mom? Either way, the people here (myself included) have tons of recipes and many of them truly do taste great. The cold fact is, pre-made gluten-free stuff, and even a lot of mixes, don't taste very good.

Do you just not do meat, or are you totally vegan? I always bake with eggs, but I understand there are good egg replacers out there. I also use Light Smart Balance instead of butter in my cooking. Low fat, and it's actually labeled gluten-free. If you're willing to do just a teensy bit of baking from scratch, you can have some killer desserts. If you want, I can give you the best ones I've found, and you can print them out.

I wish I had more to offer. :( Hang in there!!!
-Sarah

--Son, Lucas, age 7. Gluten-free since May 2007
--Son, Ezra, age 5. Gluten-free 10/13/07. Bipolar tendencies, massively improved on gluten-free diet! He's also allergic to a jillion antibiotics.
--My mother has Celiac Disease, dx'ed by Positive Blood Tests and Biopsy. Diagnosed Sarcoidosis 6/08.
--Myself, Gluten-free since 8/07

Time heals all hurt of heart... but time must be won.

#3 ShayFL

ShayFL

ShayFL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:41 AM

It is tuff for sure!! You do need some FAT though and it will help with cravings and temptation. A growing man needs some FAT. Eggs are good and so are nuts.

I made the Pamela's brownies this weekend and everyone loved them. Some of the mixes are quite good and anyone could bake them. Just tell us what you like and we can tell you what is tasty. :)
GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

#4 Janessa

Janessa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:52 AM

I am vegetarian too, and I agree you need more fat in your diet. You also may need to eat more since a lot of things that are left for you to eat are naturally low fat and calorie.

You definitely should continue to try different gluten free treats until you find one you like so you will have something around for when those cravings or temptations hit. I love all of the Pamela's Mixes also Trader Joes makes a good brownie mix.

Naturally gluten free goodies are a chocolate bar (most Endangered Species Brand is gluten free) or ice cream (Ben and Jerry's will clearly label gluten ingredients)
peanut free Nov 06, gluten free June 07, corn and soy free July 08, latex free Oct 08 Banana and kiwi cross reacting with latex allergy
happily vegetarian

#5 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:58 AM

I totally agree withyou on the specially made items--most of them taste like styrofoam.

BUT--the home-baked gluten-free breads, cookies, pancakes, etc., taste just as good, sometimes even better than the gluteny items.

So I would suggest asking your parents if you can try baking things like bread for starters (you can always have it toasted with butter or margarine and fruit preserves--that's a pretty good snack!). And when you have wowed them (try the flax skillet bread, it sounds healthy, has olive oil for fat, and is DELICIOUS either plain or sliced and toasted with tomato sauce and melted cheese on top like pizza), then you can move on to things like cookies, pancakes, etc.

You also might ask your parents to come on this board. If they don't have to deal with this diet themselves, they just might not be able to appreciate how hard it can be--and they might be unaware that your sister and friends are trying to sabotage your diet.

They need to tell your sister in no uncertain terms that she CANNOT ever encourage you to eat "just a little" of something that can literally lead to cancer, lupus, juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes...

The more I think about it, the more I wonder if family counseling might be a good idea, as well as consultation with a celiac-savvy nutritionist, because vegetarian diets tend to be grain-based--and if you can't eat wheat, and they won't let you eat meat, you stand a very good chance of missing key nutrients, unless you really know what you are doing to replace the wheat/meat sources.

Also, my teenage son's favorite snack is steamed rice sprinkled with gluten-free soy sauce, sesame oil, chopped green onions, and chopped peanuts. Hope that helps!

#6 Ridgewalker

Ridgewalker

Adavanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 12:04 PM

[font="Garamond"]Will, if you've been diagnosed with celiac disease, you really, really do NOT want to eat wheat gluten. The only exceptions to this rule (that I can think of) are:

(1) that your doctor told you told to do because you're due for a biopsy confirming your diagnosis; or

(2) while at a restaurant, you have no choice but to order the dish containing the smallest amount of wheat, barley, or rye AND are going to take Gluten-ease or Gluten Defense pill with your meal.

WHAT!?!? Do NOT do that, ever ever ever ever, do NOT deliberately ingest gluten and think that a pill is going to do you any good! It's NOT! At the risk of going on a complete RANT, I am APPALLED that anyone would suggest this to ANYONE much less a kid!

This is exactly the problem with these pills! They make you think can get by with doing things like this, and you CAN'T! You always have a choice as to what you eat. I cannot think of any situation where you MUST order something with gluten. That is NEVER the case, unless someone has a gun to your head. If you have to wait ill you get home, you wait. Period!

These enzymes are NOT going to protect a Celiac from getting CANCER. :angry:
-Sarah

--Son, Lucas, age 7. Gluten-free since May 2007
--Son, Ezra, age 5. Gluten-free 10/13/07. Bipolar tendencies, massively improved on gluten-free diet! He's also allergic to a jillion antibiotics.
--My mother has Celiac Disease, dx'ed by Positive Blood Tests and Biopsy. Diagnosed Sarcoidosis 6/08.
--Myself, Gluten-free since 8/07

Time heals all hurt of heart... but time must be won.

#7 ShayFL

ShayFL

ShayFL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 12:05 PM

(1) that your doctor told you told to do because you're due for a biopsy confirming your diagnosis; or

(2) while at a restaurant, you have no choice but to order the dish containing the smallest amount of wheat, barley, or rye AND are going to take Gluten-ease or Gluten Defense pill with your meal.

I dont recommend either of these. Your already have your Dx and even the "smallest amount" can damage you. Gluten-ease and Gluten Defense are not for Celiacs and there is no evidence/studies or proof that they will protect your body from damage. Bad idea!!
GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

#8 Will The Thrill

Will The Thrill

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 12:05 PM

Thanks for all your comments, but for the record, i have enough nutrition and fat in my diet. I get fats from cheese and nuts, they just get like skim milk and fat free cool whip and sour cream and stuff. Also my parents are health nuts so i take vitamins. So please don't comment on my nutrition, just on what would be good to eat, or do stuff that will help with how im feeling B)
It's raining snowman parts!!!!!!!!!!
people need to appreciate the little things in life........ like socks

#9 Nancym

Nancym

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 12:15 PM

Will, sorry you're having trouble with this. I'll tell you one thing that helped me out was to look at gluten containing foods and say to myself "poison". It really worked! I can be around those foods now and I don't want them at all.

#10 LuvMoosic4life

LuvMoosic4life

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 12:24 PM

Hi

try Pamela's cookies in the box.The chocolate ones are amazing, even my gluten eating mom said they are the best cookies she ever had.

#11 Phyllis28

Phyllis28

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 12:29 PM

I am not sure my gluten free treat ideas will meet your parents approval but here they are anyway:

Ice Cream - Ben and Jerry's in the best IMO with Haagen Daas my next choice

Frozen Yogurt - Haagen Daas and Ben and Jerry's are both very good IMO

Sorbets - Haagen Daas makes good ones IMO

Lara Bars

Glutino Breakfast Bars

Enjoy Life snack bars

Glutino Crackers topped with cheese

Glutino Pretzels
Phyllis

Gluten Free - 30 years

#12 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 12:30 PM

Will, if you've been diagnosed with celiac disease, you really, really do NOT want to eat wheat gluten. The only exceptions to this rule (that I can think of) are:

Will - Don't do this!

This person is misinformed. Those pills may help you digest starches, but they do nothing for gluten. You will damage your body.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#13 tom

tom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 12:32 PM

(2) . .. ..order the dish containing the smallest amount of wheat, barley, or rye AND are going to take Gluten-ease or Gluten Defense pill with your meal.

This is wrong &, to me, highly irresponsible "advice".

PJ, if you use this "strategy", it's my belief you will one day greatly regret it. :(
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

#14 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 12:42 PM

So please don't comment on my nutrition, just on what would be good to eat, or do stuff that will help with how im feeling B)

Will, the problem is that how you are feeling may have something to do with your nutrition.

Many of us here found that when we went gluten-free, we needed MUCH more protein in our diets than what we were accustomed to. THAT'S what helped me feel satisfied, not the gluten-free breads, etc.

For most of us, that meant fish, chicken, and beef, but that's not an option for you if you are vegetarian, so I really do think it's vitally important that you get perhaps even more of the protein/iron combinations than most vegetarians.

I'm also wondering about your gluten cravings. That might mean that you have (possibly inadvertently) been ingesting small amounts of gluten--which DOES cause cravings.

Practically everyone here on this board knows that after your system is 100% clear of gluten for a certain amount of time (usually a few weeks), you no longer crave it. With celiacs, gluten has an opioid effect on the brain, and it DOES make you crave more and more--the chemistry behind this is well-established.

Could your sister have been feeding you "just a little" without your knowledge? Probably she didn't know just how devastating an effect it can have on a celiac, even without considering the risk of intestinal damage.

And someone needs to explain it to her NOW. :ph34r:

#15 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 12:55 PM

[font="Garamond"]Will, if you've been diagnosed with celiac disease, you really, really do NOT want to eat wheat gluten. The only exceptions to this rule (that I can think of) are:

WOW! That is some of the worst advice from a fellow celiac that I have ever heard. This person obviously is either new to celiac and just believed the first thing he/she read or is in denial. You should never eat any amount of gluten as even the smallest amount will give you damage whether or not you have symptoms.
I do have glutenease and if I somehow accidentally get glutened I will take them for one reason...they can't hurt anything because I am already miserable! lol and to me thats the only purpose they serve.

There are actually alot of "snacks" and "junk food" that we can still have. Alot of ice creams, chips, etc. if that is what you crave. As far as gluten free specialty items...some of it tastes like crap BUT there are alot of good brands and if you ask for suggestions I am sure people will be more than willing to help I know I will help.

I am a very picky eater and a brand I like to get alot of stuff is Gluten Free Bakehouse by Whole Foods has some really good Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins, sandwich breads that don't tast like cardboard, cookies, and more that my husband loves and he is picky and not celiac.
Glutino has a pretty good cheese pizza too

As far as people trying to force it on you...just tell them it can die and it will just slowly kill you if you eat it. If they don't understand that is their problem. I know it is difficult. I was 17 when I was diagnosed and I had pizza parties and all that I went to and it was tempting but in the end I was able to resist because I was so miserable and knew how it made me feel. Just stay strong and know that you are not the only one.
If you need any help just let me know
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: