5 replies to this topic

#1 Ken70

Ken70

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 05:08 AM

Looks like my father is being diagnosed with this. I had never heard of it until yesterday. From what I've read briefly it is a bacterial (not fungal) overgrowth. It is treated with anti-biotics and pro-biotics oddly enough.

I would like to know any theories on why it may occur. Is candida related to this?

I find probiotics to be the most helpful for me. I'm wondering if I don't have both SIBO and candida. I have been diagnosed through saliva testing with candida but have not been tested for SIBO.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 05:16 AM

After I stopped the abx for SIBO, it came right back. I took oregano oil, uva ursi, and plant tannins for a longer time than the abx, which I had taken for 21 days. The herbs worked and got rid of it.

Humaworm also works for SIBO. www.humaworm.com I used it as well.
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#3 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 07:39 AM

Here is one product which has a lot of the things often recommended for intestinal overgrowth issues:
http://www.nowfoods....mp;item_id=2790
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#4 Ken70

Ken70

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 07:40 AM

After I stopped the abx for SIBO, it came right back. I took oregano oil, uva ursi, and plant tannins for a longer time than the abx, which I had taken for 21 days. The herbs worked and got rid of it.

Humaworm also works for SIBO. www.humaworm.com I used it as well.

Is abx an anti-biotic?

#5 fig girl

fig girl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 05:44 PM

Hi,
My Dr. diagnosed me as gluten sensitive in Jan. 08 and as having sibo in July and prescribed me VSL#3. Has anyone used this? I've read a few posts on here about this and it seems some were concerned that it may have traces of gluten. There's not a phone no. on the package i have or the website. I have the unflavored and the ingredients are lactic acid bacteria, maltose, natural flavorings, silicon dioxide. I've been gluten free since 1/22/08 but have had gluten accidents. Eggs seemed to start bothering me in June so i stopped eating them and felt better. I first started taking the whole packet of VSL but felt it was bothering me a bit so i only take 1/2 packet a day and that seems to be better. I was glutened last week from most likely charcoal (didn't realize until yesterday it has wheat starch fillers!) so from now on will buy the lump all natural charcoal. I thought it was the hot dogs (which it still could have been) but they were the natural uncured gluten free turkey hotdogs - maybe had cc. My husband cleaned the grill really well and bought a new grate but i haven't used it yet - i may only feel comfortable buying a new one and using it....probably safer to get a gas grill?

Thanks! Any info. on the VSL would be greatly appreciated. This forum is so wonderful. I've learned so much and it's been a life saver!
Diagnosed gluten sensitive 1/28/08
Began gluten-free 1/22/08
Promethius results - DQ8 heterozygous gene, HLA allelic variants detected
Premature Ovarian Failure (POF) - dx 4/2004 at age 39, began symptoms at about age 37
Attended NIH POF study 10/04 - no known cause of POF found
Osteopenia - dx in 02
Mother passed away at age 56 with colon and stomach cancer
Stomach pain, gas, brain fog, joint pain, sore stomach especially when awakening, bad taste and breath, possibly lactose or casein intolerant - not sure, fatigue, dry, flaky skin on face and scalp. They got better after going gluten-free but still had some symptoms.
Egg free - 06/08
Started SCD 9/19/08 - feel much better!

#6 ShayFL

ShayFL

ShayFL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 04:41 AM

abx=antibiotics

I agree that antibiotics will only be a temporary fix and can result in more problems. I would go natural FIRST. Save abx as a last resort.
GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: