#1 hwaters34

hwaters34

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 08:05 PM

Hi All-

New to the site. I'm a Silly Yak (yahoo member). I'm 36, a celiac (dx 0ct 03) and have 4 kids, two with celiac disease.

I'm a teacher who is in grad school and am gathering my own research on celiac disease and school.

Q: How does the gluten free diet effect children's feelings about school? (But from the kids perspective--not the parents!!)

I'll be posting questions, and looking for kids to keep a "feeling" log during school in the near future--but I'm looking to see if people will be willing to help. I'll take all ages, including college.

Has anyone seen research focused on school from the kids perspective? I've been searching and have yet to find a close link. e-celiacs.org has an art on celiac disease in kids--but not hard facts stuff.

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help. When the time comes, a letter from my school advisory board will be included--just saying that I'm for real. :)

Heather

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 10:43 PM

That is really interesting to think about. How did you come up with this topic? Is it from your own chidren since 2 have Celiacs and two don't?

I would think the answers would really vary depending on when the child was diagnosed. I was diagnosed my senior year of High School (and am now a sophmore in college) and am sure that the feelings I feel about school and Celiacs are very different from those of someone diagnosed when they were a baby or very young. When younger kids get diagnosed I am so happy because they won't remember how life was when they ate gluten (taste and pain -wise) as much as adults do.

I am sure you will find people willing to help you. Good luck!

Kristina

#3 hwaters34

hwaters34

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 04:57 AM

Thanks for your response!

The topic is close to home--obviously. I want to share celiac disease with teachers in the field, and this will do it (my class will know more!). Also, as a parent who is celiac disease and who has celiac disease I go through different problem solving techniques when thinking out being out of the house for long periods (like when a meal will be eaten). To take care of myslef, I don't stress so much. I know I can always eat a baked potato or dry salad (yum, I know--but I won't pass out). With the kids, (mine are young, 4 and 6 w/celiac disease) it consumes my thoughts because they depend on me to take care of it while we are out. And, they are not going to eat a salad or bp!!

I also feel, as a parent, one of my main responsibilties is to feed my kids (you know, the basics: food, clothing shelter). Simple! I think about gluten free all the time when they are out of the house. I want to now how much are they really thinking about it.

I've been thinking about homeschooling my kids too. I want them to love learning and I want to see if celiac disease is taking fun out of learning because school and gluten-free are not always easy.

Thanks for your time,

Heather

#4 celiac3270

celiac3270

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 05:17 AM

I agree--the opinions are going to vary. For myself, though: I've always liked school, always tried extremely hard and been the top of my class...basically no problems or aversion to education here :lol: . I don't think the celiac necessarily affects a person's perspective on school, but you might feel a little left out.....(w/ food and all)

#5 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 06:05 AM

I've always liked school too. I loved high school and now I love college. Not even the gluten-free diet changed it. :D I'm sure answers will very though
Good luck with research :D
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#6 hwaters34

hwaters34

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 06:08 AM

I think they will vary--but I think it will be interesting/helpful to see the factors that contribute. I might find something that can help parents and kids who are having a difficult time! :)

Heather

#7 Merika

Merika

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 08:09 PM

Hi Heather,

There is a book, available on this site and amazon I think, called "personal stories on celiac disease" or something. It is 3 page stories by all sorts of people on how they got diagnosed and their reactions and whatnot. There is a chapter written by people diagnosed as kids, and another chapter written by people diagnosed as teenagers. Very different stories in the two chapters. You may want to check it out.

Merika

#8 FaithInScienceToo

FaithInScienceToo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 08:48 PM

I believe the book the previous poster is refering to is entitled, "A Personal Touch On... Celiac Disease (The #1 Misdiagnosed Intestinal Disorder),"
by Berlin, Stone.

Best wishes with your research,
Gina
"Get busy living
or get busy dying."

--------------------------------------------------------------
gluten-free since Jan 1 '05
Positive response to diet within days, felt 'alive again' within 2 weeks

Feb 22 '05:
Diagnosed "Celiac Sprue, and IBS" by a GI doc, Dr. David Lin of Danville, CA
via blood testing 53 days after I began the gluten-free diet on my own:
Test results at 53 days POST going gluten-free were:

Gliadin AB IgA = 29.9
Since 30+ = positive for Celiac Disease when ingesting gluten, my doc
diagnosed me with Celiac Sprue then and there.

Gliadin AB IgG was 5.6 at that point
-------------------------------------------
Endoscopy with biopsies, AND colonoscopy with biopsies were done,
only to rule out other possible GI problems (especially intestinal
lymphoma) - My doctor told me the results indicated "no current damage
found" - and that as long as I stay gluten-free, I don't need another
biopsy for ten years.

Follow-up blood testing was done about one year later, by the same
Gastro doc, in Nov '05:
Gliadin AB IgA =26, Gliadin AB IgG <1

Blood testing done again by him, 5 months later (March '06)
He then told me my tests results were back to normal, and "Keep up the
good work! You can't argue with success!" :-)

I now see him one time per year for routine testing to make sure I am
staying gluten-free.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ADDTIONALLY:
I was also diagnosed as positive for antibodies and autoimmune
response to gliadin by Enterolab, via stool specimen taken 56 days
gluten-free

and I have one of the two genes that 'cause' Celiac Disease:

"HLA-DQ8," via Enterolabs cheek cell test kit
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I began a COMPLETE 'Gluten-free Casein-free' diet in Nov '05, due to:
"positive" for casein antibodies from Enterolab (in Feb '05)
and
"positive" for casein IgG (Elisa) via York Labs' finger-prick blood
test, Sept '05
and continued 'stomach pains,' although nothing compared to before
going gluten-free....

UPDATE: ALL remaining symptoms disappeared within weeks of going gluten-free&CF!

My PAST illnesses I believe are attributable to Untreated Celiac Disease:

Recurrent ear and throat infections in childhood
Frequent childhood stomach aches, underweight, picky eater
Tooth enamel problems/excessive cavities in childhood
Diagnosed in 20's with non-allergic rhinitis
Two spontaneous abortions (childless)
IBS diagnosis at age 28 (all better post going gluten-free and casein-free)
["Horrible" digestive problems from ages 32-47 - excess gas,
diarrhea gone post gluten-free!]
Reflux diagnosis at age 35 ('reflux' gone post gluten-free)
ADHD diagnosis at age 38 and at age 48 (not as bad with Gluten-free Casein-free diet)
Broke elbow in 2 places, age 39
Osteopenia diagnosed at age 44 (bone scan revealed thinning of spine -
taking Calcium and Vit D now)
Fibromyalgia diagnosis at age 40 (fatigue and pain all gone post gluten-free!)
Minor depression with anxiety diagnosed at age 42 (taking Paxil)
Skin cancer - squamous at age 43 and pre-melanoma at age 45
Adult acne (this, too, went away, but only after going dairy-free)
Topical dermatitis (so bad I needed steroid shots) diagnosed at age 46
(That's gone now, too!)
Excessive bruising of skin began at age 45:
I was told by derm doc AND family physician "That's just thin, aging
skin, nothing you can do about that" (GUESS WHAT?! ...NO unusual
bruising POST going gluten-free! I can now wear skirts and shorts
again!)

SO many years of being sick...
Hopefully, others will benefit from Science, and the increasing media
attention being given to Celiac Disease and gluten-based illnesses,
and will not have to go through what I, and others on here, have had
to go through.

#9 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 06:10 AM

Several of us that post on this board are in that book (just a side note).

-Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#10 hwaters34

hwaters34

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 08:09 AM

Ahh--yes-I know the book. I wanted to write my "story" but was slow moving to do so. :(

Thanks!

Great advice!!!!

Heather

#11 hwaters34

hwaters34

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 12:43 PM

Hi All--I meet (again) with my professor after class and he says it is a no-going with my cliac research. He thinks there is not enough there to "learn" from the project. He thinks I could write it without research. Hmm--maybe some of it...

Thank you to all who said they'd help!

Heather

#12 dreamhouses

dreamhouses

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 08:52 PM

Hi Heather, I was so excited about your research project till I got to the last post about your professor not supporting it!! I'm wondering if you are in the psych dept. or med school or what. I guess that would change how appropriate the research would be. Despite his/her response I think its really cool that you are channeling your energy and thoughts on celiac into what you may be able to study. Maybe you could just re-package it a bit for the professor. Could widening the topic a bit to include other health issues be to your advantage? Like maybe comparing the effects of several different health issues which change specific ways that kids are able to function in the school situation. Maybe a hypothesis that deals asks how health issues affect a childs self concept, and assesses how much support or lack of support they need to compensate for that. A lot of that seems to be uncharted territory in the research area. From what I can tell there really isn't much of a format for educators to rely on in helping students cope with these types of health issues. Lots of strategies and laws now cover various learning disabiliites, but the health issues can also impair kids learning situations because of the additional pressure it puts on them. I can tell by your enthusiasm on is that you really have something to offer with this type of work even if this doesn't turn out to be the place. Good luck, and keep up your creative thinking. Dreamhouses

#13 Holly04

Holly04

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 01:19 PM

Gluten-Free + School = No Fun

I'm Holly [Age 13] and I don't really like being gluten-free at school. I get frustrated when they see other people eating gluten. I'm not saying I would cheat. But every single day I think, 'What if I just took one little bite of that pizza' or 'Maybe just a taste of that breaded chicken'. But I know I can't and I know the result. Not good. But you know- there are some people who try to hide their food so it doesn't make me feel bad; some who don't care what I think; some who don't know I have Celiac; and some who rub it in your face. None of the above are good. Sometimes I wish I never I had Celiac.

One of the science teachers in my school does have Celiac. I've talked to him but its not really any help because he says he cheats all the time. And thats obviously not good. He is the only other person I have talked to face to face who has it and he said he was diagnosed when he was about 40. No help.

In my opinion- I hate being gluten-free around other people. (Except my family)
And I am getting pretty tired of answering "Celiac Disease? Whats that?" or "Eww you have a disease. Get away"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: