This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is Rice Dream gluten-free Rice Milk Really gluten-free Now?

Gwen B

Gwen B Rookie

Rice Dream rice milk used to use barley enzymes in the processing. It is now labelled as gluten-free but is it really? Just had a bad reaction to something and wondered if it was that or the chocolate I had last night - it said may contain milk and soy traces but I thought that I'd be ok. :huh: Bit cross because I've been sooo much better for the last few months. :angry:

I only wondered about the Rice Dream after reading an article in the last Celiac.com newsletter.

Anyone know about Rice Dream or other rice milk ingredients?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient
Rice Dream rice milk used to use barley enzymes in the processing. It is now labelled as gluten-free but is it really? Just had a bad reaction to something and wondered if it was that or the chocolate I had last night - it said may contain milk and soy traces but I thought that I'd be ok. :huh: Bit cross because I've been sooo much better for the last few months. :angry:

I only wondered about the Rice Dream after reading an article in the last Celiac.com newsletter.

Anyone know about Rice Dream or other rice milk ingredients?

Hi Gwen,

I spoke to the company after the label change--the formula has not changed, they still use barley in the processing of Rice Dream. They can label it gluten-free since the level of gluten in the finished product is so low.

Unfortunately, any level is too much for us.....I'm sure that's what made you sick. :(

I use Pacific Foods Rice Milks :)

Gwen B Rookie
Hi Gwen,

I spoke to the company after the label change--the formula has not changed, they still use barley in the processing of Rice Dream. They can label it gluten-free since the level of gluten in the finished product is so low.

Unfortunately, any level is too much for us.....I'm sure that's what made you sick. :(

I use Pacific Foods Rice Milks :)

Thanks for such a swift reply. I will switch milks. I can't beleive they're allowed to say gluten-free and not mention the barley enzymes on the ingredient. That's just not fair. No wonder I have been lying awake feeling queazy for the last week or so. They only change I made was to Rice dream instead of almond milk/hempmilk. I avoided Pacific foods because I wasn't sure it was gluten-free/SF. I expect the Rice Dream was just building up in my body.

It really is a minefield all this labelling stuff. <_< Thanks again.

sickchick Community Regular

I can't have Pacific Foods because it has Carageenaan in it, are you intolerant of that that you are aware of? I think it has Soy Lecithin in it too...

check the label if you are LOL B)

lovelove

Juliebove Rising Star
I can't have Pacific Foods because it has Carageenaan in it, are you intolerant of that that you are aware of? I think it has Soy Lecithin in it too...

check the label if you are LOL B)

lovelove

Does not have soy lecithin. Daughter got very sick from Rice Dream.

sickchick Community Regular

Cool, wasn't completely sure on that one, Julie! ;)B)

tom Contributor

I recently noticed a new (to me anyway) Trader Joe's rice milk, kept in the refrigerated section w/ the rest of the milk. I think it's gallon size only.

(The non-refrig one has been around for a very long time, I think, but has some ingred I shouldn't have. Don't recall what)

Does anyone use this refrigerated one or know it's ok?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gwen B Rookie
Does not have soy lecithin. Daughter got very sick from Rice Dream.

Have been using the Wholefoods own 365 brand and am fine even though it does have carrageenan in it. Not sure if I'm sensitive to it anymore. I have slept much better anyway. My mother is using Rice Dream in the UK (also celiac and not healing as fast as I have) and although they don't list it as gluten-free but actually declare may contain traces of barley. She seems to think she doesn't have a problem with it. I wonder if it just builds up in your system gradually making you sick?

Gwen B Rookie
I recently noticed a new (to me anyway) Trader Joe's rice milk, kept in the refrigerated section w/ the rest of the milk. I think it's gallon size only.

(The non-refrig one has been around for a very long time, I think, but has some ingred I shouldn't have. Don't recall what)

Does anyone use this refrigerated one or know it's ok?

Trader Joes lists the rice milk on their "No Gluten ingredients used" list on their website but I haven't tried it yet, so don't know if it contains soy lecethin.

Ginsou Explorer

Well, I'll be.....I just started purchasing Rice Dream again because about 6 months ago some travel packs listed barley as an ingredient, so my husband drank them. I had been using Rice Dream for a while....even tho it was labeled gluten free, after about 6 weeks I began getting sick and for the life of me could not understand why.

Two days ago I purchased Rice Dream because the newer label said gluten free.....decided to try it again. I agree, Pacific Foods is not as good as Rice Dream, but after reading this my husband will have to drink the Rice Dream. I'll go back to Vance's and Better Than Milk. Recent blood tests show potato and corn problems, so I may also be in trouble with Vance's and Better Than Milk!!

GFinDC Veteran

I have been trying to figure out what glutened me this week. I only added a couple things to my diet that I hadn't been eating. Rice Dream milk with Rice Chex gluten-free cereal, and ground cumin and corriander spices (separate food).

Something definitely got me good and it's probably the Rice dream or the spices. But the spices are Mccormick and should be ok. My box of Rice Dream doesn't say gluten free but also doesn't list any gluten ingredients.

What the hey, I am tossing the Rice Dream milk and going to but some whole spices and grind them myself. Better not to have to think about these things. And better not to have to be awake all night too with symptoms..

Ginsou Explorer

I haven't checked the Rice Dream company website lately, but here is some interesting information.Open Original Shared Link

Shelly D. Newbie

Because I don't like dairy milk and the phytoestragens in soy do a whammy on my PMS I have been drinking Rice Dream. After I read the previous messages I became concerned that I might be glutenating myself (again :( ) so I emailed Rice Dream Saturday and this was the reply I got this morning,

"Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding our Enriched Vanilla Rice Dream Beverage. We strive to maintain the highest quality products and appreciate your patronage.

Analytical testing methods and detection limits have improved over the years. Recent testing shows that the Rice Dream Beverages (as well as the barley protein used to make the product) meet gluten free requirements. This has probably been true historically, however analytical testing methods did not permit us to make this claim. We have always maintained a conservative stance regarding gluten in the beverages. The same rigorous standards now allow us to declare them gluten free. The formula and processing methods for Rice Dream beverages have not changed. Each batch will be tested appropriately.

Thank you for your continued support. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-434-4246, Monday through Friday from 7AM - 5PM Mountain Time.

Sincerely,

George

Consumer Relations Representative

I guess I'll have to see what happens since I just ate a bowl of Koala Crispies with Rice Dream before I got on my computer.

• 2 months later...
Sinenox Apprentice

My understanding was that Rice Dream was at the lower threshold of what can be tested. If that's the case, what is to say that any of the other milks could be considered better? How can we be sure that they aren't processed with/exposed to gluten?

ShayFL Enthusiast

It is true unless you make it yourself with whole foods, you cannot be certain about any processed food. I make my own almond milk now. I also make hazelnut milk too which is delicious. Im not eating any processed foods anymore. I dont lose sleep anymore over food either. :)

• 3 years later...
BarBlume Newbie

Oh my gosh, I'm sitting here trying to figure out what is making me so sick. I had a small glass of Rice Dream rice milk and I've developed pain, foggy thinking, and a whole slew of symptoms. I'm so glad to have found this forum. I also was alerted to the problem with some corn products (canned corn) from this forum as well. I'm so thrilled to have found you. Now I've got to wait out this horrible reaction. Well, at least I know one more thing to eliminate to improve my health.

Blessing and healthy eating!

• 1 year later...
Wilder Newbie

I just had a bad reaction to Rice Dream. I got an instant stomach ache and I got really queasy. It was nutty to find out that other gluten-free folks, also had a similar reaction. Thanks for the answers :)   

Archived