This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is Whey All Wheat Or Is There Milk Whey?

rmducote

rmducote Apprentice

I am a bit confused!! I know that whey is a wheat product, but there is also whey in lots of ice cream products and cottage cheeses. Is this the same thing or is it milk whey? Or is there a difference? I have just been assuming that all whey is bad whey. thanks a bunch for help!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rmducote Apprentice

Not sure if this posted the first time...

My question is: is all whey bad? I have been avoiding all whey, but have wondered if whey in dairy products is a different kind and ok?

Ursa Major Collaborator
Not sure if this posted the first time...

My question is: is all whey bad? I have been avoiding all whey, but have wondered if whey in dairy products is a different kind and ok?

There is no whey in wheat, whey is always from dairy.

happygirl Collaborator

Whey is gluten free and is a dairy product. https://www.celiac.com/articles/181/1/Safe-...ents/Page1.html

happygirl Collaborator

(I merged the two posts since responses were posted on both)

rmducote Apprentice
There is no whey in wheat, whey is always from dairy.

Well, I feel stupid now!! thank you! I thought is saw wheat whey listed somewhere

home-based-mom Contributor

Little Miss Muffet sat on a tuffet,

Eating her curds and whey. ~~~~~~~~~~~~(more or less aka "cottage cheese")

There came a big spider,

He sat down beside her.

And frightened Miss Muffet away!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 11 months later...
John and Gemma Newbie

Hello, we have been confused about this too. How come it olny sometimes says from dairy after it says Whey. If it is always from Dairy why does it only sometimes say this:

Whey Powder (Wheat)?

thanks.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Hello, we have been confused about this too. How come it olny sometimes says from dairy after it says Whey. If it is always from Dairy why does it only sometimes say this:

Whey Powder (Wheat)?

thanks.

Perhaps they have added wheat to it either as a thickener, binder or to up the protein level. Whey is a dairy product though. Below I have pasted info from the Whey Protein Institute

Open Original Shared Link

What is whey protein?

A: Whey protein is a high quality protein powder from cow's milk. Milk has two proteins: Casein (approximately 80%) and Whey Protein (approximately 20%). Whey protein is more soluble than casein and also has a higher quality rating. It is often referred to as the "Gold Standard" of protein as it is the most nutritious protein available.

Q: Does whey protein contain gluten or wheat protein?

A: No, pure whey protein does not contain any gluten. However, protein bars and beverages often contain gluten so always check the product ingredient label prior to purchase if it is not allowed in your diet

mushroom Proficient

I have also found whey protein powders made from rice milk and hemp milk. Not sure of the protein content, but for those intolerant of dairy...

John and Gemma Newbie

thanks very much for that info.

• 5 years later...
cyclinglady Grand Master

Welcome to the forum, Cynthia! Unfortunately, this is a really old thread from 2009. I would hate to have you wait for a response. You can start a new topic, or feel free to respond a current post.

Archived