This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Lunches

Will The Thrill

Will The Thrill Rookie

Does anybody know of any good gluten free lunches to pack your child for school who is also a vegetarian?

Please respond

Will

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Amyleigh0007 Enthusiast

My son enjoys Glutino crackers with cheese slices. I also sometimes send him a small thermos with leftovers from dinner such as pasta with red sauce or mac and cheese. Nut Thins with peanut butter is good as well as corn tortillas with cheese. We also like peanut butter smeared on a corn tortilla wrapped around a banana. Apple slices and baby carrots are a hit with my son as well. This year we might try waffles with syrup in a small container. I'm not sure if he would like the waffles at room temp. I usually send a bite size Hershey's bar for a sweet.

Mango04 Enthusiast

here are some things you can pack:

peanut butter (and maybe jelly) on Corn Thins (or rice cakes)

wraps made with Food for Life brown rice tortillas (fill with you favorite veggies and hummus, or make them into burritos using rice and beans - and cheese if you can do dairy)

...or use corn tortillas for the above

carrot and celery sticks with hummus (or your favorite dip)

corn chips

rice chips

Enjoy Life trail mix

Nana's gluten-free cookies

corn tortilla "sandwiches" - corn tortillas wrapped around veggie sticks with mayo, mustard or hummus

missy'smom Collaborator
Does anybody know of any good gluten free lunches to pack your child for school who is also a vegetarian?

Please respond

Will

I know that vegan and vegetarian are not exactly the same but there's a great blog called the Vegan Lunchbox. Maybe it'll give you some ideas. They are not all gluten-free but if you find something there that you'd like to try, we may be able to help you with brands or adapting it to gluten-free. Open Original Shared Link

debmom Newbie

Protein bars such as Think Green or Think thin, KIND bars with fruit and nuts and other bars are gluten free and really good. We like the KIND bars with almonds and apricots.

My daughter takes a gluten-free bagel with some light cream cheese or jelly often and her school makes her a baked potato every day. She will eat a salad or a small cup of natural apple sauce, hummus, rice crackers, cheese, etc. that I send with her. I make banana bread frequently and sometimes put peanut butter on it for her. At first I thought that her gluten free diet with her vegetarianism was going to be impossible, but it hasn't been that hard to find food for her to take for lunch. I was surprised at how many prepared foods there were such as fruit cups and applesauce without preservatives that were good for her.

Phyllis28 Apprentice

Unheated Gluten free pancakes with jam/jelly. I sometimes take this along when I travel. I bring the jelly/jam in a plasitic container along with a plastic knife. Since gluten free pancakes are subject to crumbling I also put them in a container. A "sandwich" size container is about the right size.

Cinnamon Apprentice

Pizza "lunchables" - when I found a pizza crust the kids liked, I made a bunch of small ones and put them in the freezer. Then in the morning, I put a couple crusts in a baggie, and spooned some pizza sauce in a little container, and put some cheese in another container. My daughter had this almost every day last year.

Kraft mac 'n cheese - Tinkyada macaroni, with cheese sauce made from the sauce envelope from Kraft mac n cheese.

Fried rice - whenever I made rice for dinner, I made extra for the next day. In the morning, I melted butter in a pan, added the rice with leftover vegetables, salt, pepper, garlic and soy sauce. It only took about 5 minutes to make.

Tortilla chips with container of salsa, and cashews or almonds in a baggie.

Van's blueberry waffle with a container of peanut butter to spread onto it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Juliebove Rising Star

Hard boiled eggs, hummus with crackers or raw vegetables, salads, corn chips and nacho cheese or Chreese sauce, 1/2 a melon hollowed out and filled with cottage cheese and berries, or cottage cheese and canned fruit in a thermos.

buffettbride Enthusiast

We do cheese sticks or cheese pizza on Kinnickinnick pizza crusts quite often.

Glutino crackers with cheese is pretty common, too.

My daughter isn't a vegetarian, but there's not always a meat product in her lunch.

She's 11 so she's exploring salad right now, and that has been fun.

Archived