103 replies to this topic

#1 Mountaineer Josh

Mountaineer Josh

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 11:12 AM

I've reported in the past that I regularly drink Bud Light without any issues. For the third straight blood test "check-up" my numbers are great and no sign of gluten entering my system. I'm looking forward to the "gluten-free" definition being finalized because I believe that if Anheiser Busch/InBev does test their lighter beers, we'll find that their gluten levels are well below 20 ppm. Hopefully they view this as advantageous from a business perspective.

I also drink Corona without any issues. I think the key is to avoid all gluten from other sources.

Anyone else drink beer on a regular basis without problems?
Positive Biopsy - February 2006
Positive Bloodwork - December 2005

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Ken70

Ken70

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 05:08 AM

I'm not Celiac but gluten is a problem for me.

Carona Light - no problem

any regular beer - problem

#3 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 09:36 AM

I've reported in the past that I regularly drink Bud Light without any issues. For the third straight blood test "check-up" my numbers are great and no sign of gluten entering my system. I'm looking forward to the "gluten-free" definition being finalized because I believe that if Anheiser Busch/InBev does test their lighter beers, we'll find that their gluten levels are well below 20 ppm. Hopefully they view this as advantageous from a business perspective.

I also drink Corona without any issues. I think the key is to avoid all gluten from other sources.

Anyone else drink beer on a regular basis without problems?

Idunno, I definitely have Celiac and I always tested negative anyway. I wouldn't trust it so much, I'd say try going without the beer for a couple months and then try, that would be a better indicator than tests that are historically undependable.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#4 Mountaineer Josh

Mountaineer Josh

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 09:47 AM

Idunno, I definitely have Celiac and I always tested negative anyway. I wouldn't trust it so much, I'd say try going without the beer for a couple months and then try, that would be a better indicator than tests that are historically undependable.

After my first celiac panel bloodwork revealed my antibody count was around 275. Also, last year, I had a follow-up endoscopy, while drinking beer regularly, showed no signs of celiac after being on a gluten-free diet for the previous year. Obviously, we all have different levels of sensitivity to gluten. Apparently the levels in watered down beer like Bud Light and Corona simply don't affect my system.

I've read that others drink regular beer on here in the past. Again, hopefully beer companies will test their levels once the definitions have been finalized.

#5 Calicoe

Calicoe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 11:37 AM

Yeah, I've been having the same experience. Some beers make me sick as a dog for days, and some beers I can drink 2 or 3 close to bedtime and wake up clear as a bell. I have found that the clear lagers and pilsners are a good bet for me. I'm sure it has something to do with the brewing and fermentation time. Darker ales usually have a caramel color added. I find the beers I can drink and stick with them: Bavik Beer (Belgian Pils), New Grist (Gluten free and good), Budweiser (rice water), a polish beer (forgot the name, but it's in Whole Foods). I think Asahi may be safe as well.

There must be a reason that can be explained in the ingredients and fermentation process of lagers.

*However, I'm not sure what is wrong with me. It may be celiac disease/gluten intolerance, or it may be something else. If I have Candida A., I don't think any beer is good. You have to trust your own experiences on this one, because my own are not a standard.
-First overt but unrecognized symptoms after reintroducing dairy and wheat to my diet after a 2-month absence, 2002.
-First appearance of chronic aphthous stomatiti, 2002.
-Giardia infection and treatment with albenzole, 2005.
-Persistent symptoms and treated for Giardia again with Flagyl twice (without testing), 2006.
-Dx milk allergy from a blood test, April 2007.
-Also presented for anemia, high white blood cell count, and candida in the same test. Dx IBS, April 2007.
-Response to diet and self-diagnosis through overwhelming symptoms and possible genetic link (hypothyroidism, fibromyalgia runs in the family), April 2008
-Currently learning to go gluten-free (April 2008), and coping with new sensitivities.

#6 Lockheed

Lockheed

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 01:55 PM

Well.. I'm a silent sufferer. At 20 I developed osteoperosis and only found out because while riding my bike across campus to get to class I hopped a curb and my then 10lb backpack strap caused my right collar bone to shatter (okay well not shatter exactly but one full break and two fractures and all of which lined up with the strap when they finally x-rayed me). So totally random in my unsuspecting gluten afflicted life. So the moral of my story is just because you don't notice a symptom doesn't mean there isn't one present.
Gluten Free since 2003

#7 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:06 PM

This is the Gluten-Free Celiac Disease Forum. If one has Celiac disease, one doesn't consume gluten. Wheat, Barley, & Rye contain gluten. Beer is made from malted barley. Celiacs don't drink beer. Perhaps you people don't have Celiac Disease.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#8 Ken70

Ken70

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 04:43 AM

This is the Gluten-Free Celiac Disease Forum. If one has Celiac disease, one doesn't consume gluten. Wheat, Barley, & Rye contain gluten. Beer is made from malted barley. Celiacs don't drink beer. Perhaps you people don't have Celiac Disease.

best regards, lm

We can debate the differences between celiac and GI but that is another topic. I think some of us feel like some beer may not have gluten in it either at all or in parts so small that some of us don't react. Noone is recommending drinking beer for Celiac sufferers but there is more that we don't know about all of this than we do know.

#9 Tim-n-VA

Tim-n-VA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 05:17 AM

There is so much variation from human to human it is hard to generalize.

I'm not sure what "... I definitely have Celiac and I always tested negative..." means considering that celiac overlaps other diseases/conidtions in symptoms, etc. A true wheat allergy could symtomatically be exactly like classic celiac symtoms, test negative on all standard celiac tests and still allow someone to consume gluten in the form of barley or rye.

Just to be clear, I really don't care how someone chooses to describe their "condition". I am concerned that someone might try to extrapolate one person's experience into a general statement about celiac and beer.

Added note: I have accidentally consumed malt from barley with no symptoms. I didn't have an immediate blood test so I don't know if there were other things happening. I would not jump from that to starting to consume all foods with barley (although that would make cereal selections significantly better).

#10 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 01:30 PM

best regards, lm

not really sure this type of attitude is necessary... A lot of people react differently to celiac disease, Mountaineer Josh- Just because you're not having a reaction to the beer, doesn't mean that it isn't doing some serious internal damage. If you were diagnosed then I think it's best you don't drink beer, even if you don't have a negative reaction. My ex-boyfriends father is a Celiac, a diagnosed Celiac, who doesn't react to certain foods so he eats them...never once have I questioned his diagnosis. Just because someone has Celiac Disease, doesn't mean they're going to follow the directions and do what's best for them.

no need for rudeness.

#11 elye

elye

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,063 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 02:11 PM

not really sure this type of attitude is necessary... A lot of people react differently to celiac disease, Mountaineer Josh- Just because you're not having a reaction to the beer, doesn't mean that it isn't doing some serious internal damage. If you were diagnosed then I think it's best you don't drink beer, even if you don't have a negative reaction. My ex-boyfriends father is a Celiac, a diagnosed Celiac, who doesn't react to certain foods so he eats them...never once have I questioned his diagnosis. Just because someone has Celiac Disease, doesn't mean they're going to follow the directions and do what's best for them.

no need for rudeness.

I don't think Larry Mac was trying to be rude, just straightforward in his point that with celiac disease, it's all or nothing - - you cannot be a little pregnant, and you cannot be just a bit celiac. When you say, "a lot of people react differently to celiac disease", if you mean that people with the illness have varying degrees of reaction to gluten, this is quite true. However, the treatment remains the same regardless: no gluten in the diet.
"If you were diagnosed then I think it's best you don't drink beer" - - well, if you were diagnosed, from a medical perspective I know that it's mandatory that you don't drink beer....unless of course it is gluten-free. :)
Emily

diagnosed type one diabetic 1973
diagnosed celiac winter 2005
diagnosed hypothyroid spring 2006

But healthy and happy! Posted Image

11 year-old Son had negative blood panel, but went on gluten-free diet of his own volition to see if his concentration would improve, his temper abate, and his energy level would increase. Miraculous response!

The great are great only because we are on our knees.
--Pierre Joseph Proudhon (1809-1865)

#12 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 04:29 PM

Bud Light is brewed from hops, barley malt, and rice.

This poster had repeatedly posted that he drinks this beer and claims to have no "issues" with it, however, this item is not certified to be gluten free and is made from barley, which is part of the wheat family, so it also would cause an auto immune reaction in people who are known to be sensitive to gluten. He is offering up a personal experience as an example of how in the future, an item might test out to be below the proposed legal limit for gluten.

But this is all speculation.

People's reaction to minute amounts of gluten truly varies from person to person. But to rely on a physical reaction to gluten is not enough for most people to be able to truly tell whether or not an item is "gluten free." I am basing this not only on my personal experience (not from drinking beer, but from eating other contaminated things accidently and finding out after the fact that it was contaminated but I did not react much at all, one of the mysteries of life. I have, of course, also eaten supposedly gluten free items and reacted badly.) but on what I have read here written by many other people. Lack of obvious reaction does not mean that an item made from barley malt is going to be safe for consumption by people who are supposed to be adhering to a gluten free diet.

In the majority of gluten intolerant people the disease is silent, undiagnosed because the damage is occurring in a way that is not obvious. In many people the

If any beer company wanted to make a truly gluten free beer they are free to do so and then market the item as truly "gluten free."

If a beer company wanted to increase their market share by [i] implying[/b] that they were gluten free (while still being made of gluten sources) then that would not be a good thing to be trying to market it to people who had to stick to a gluten free diet.

#13 neesee

neesee

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 04:59 PM

Josh,

You really shouldn't drink beer. I'm not one to preach at someone, but if something clearly has gluten, you shouldn't consume it.

I'm sure it's tough to be young, male and celiac, but you've got take care of yourself. You are only issued one body, and you are lucky enough to know you should be gluten-free. You've been given a gift. The gluten-free diet! Don't turn your back on it.

I'm not the paranoid type either. But if something clearly has gluten, I don't eat it.

neesee

#14 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 05:13 PM

best regards, lm

Actually, there are very many people with Celiac Disease that do not follow the diet http://www.celiac.co...Diet/Page1.html. People with Celiac Diease do drink beer. It doesn't mean they should or shouldn't - but they do.

Josh has confirmed Celiac Disease and I'm willing to bet he doesn't appreciate being told that he doesn't have a condition that he does have.

#15 Mountaineer Josh

Mountaineer Josh

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 05:52 PM

best regards, lm

This is laughable on many levels. Unfortunately, not everything is black and white. I've been confirmed celiac for three years. I know this shatters people's strict interpretation of the gluten free diet, but the bottom line is, light beers don't affect me. My follow-up endoscopy and blood tests have proven this. If I were to eat a sandwhich, I'm sure my antibody counts would jump up. The bottom line is this, beers like Bud Light contain such low levels of gluten, that many celiacs simply don't react to it.

You do realize there are varying degrees of the disease right? Look at the literature.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: