This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Royal Caribbean?

jayhawkmom

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

My husband and I are going on an Alaskan cruise next June. I've already identified myself as someone needing dietary accommodation while on board. I'm wondering if anyone has any firsthand gluten-free experience with RC??

I admit, I'm a little nervous, even though it's a year away. All our "vacations" thus far have been trips where we've visited and stayed with family. The only other trip we've been on since going gluten free has been to Disney World. That was a piece O' cake! =)

I'm looking for both positive and negative experiences, so I can be fully prepared.

TIA!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I researched their cruises when we were trying to decide on a honeymoon trip. We choose not to do a cruise due to the timing of the trip but I can tell you if I was going to cruise I was going to book on RC. Their FAQ says they can accomodate gluten free meals. I did not see that listed on Carnival.

I do hear Alaskan cruises are spectacular! Have fun!!!

jayhawkmom Enthusiast
ITheir FAQ says they can accomodate gluten free meals. I did not see that listed on Carnival.

Yep, when we booked it was an option. I made sure to indicate that I would need gluten-free meals. The timing worked well for us, so I was pleased that they do have gluten-free options. I think there was one other that I researched that indicated they could accommodate gluten-free requests but I don't recall which one it was. I'm really very excited. Albeit, apprehensive.

Chicklet Rookie

I cruised with RC earlier this year, when you get on to the ship go to the dinning room and talk to the head waiter and let them know. They are very good to work with and even had gluten free bread for me, it was really nice, and they had desserts for me too. :D I only eat my supper in the dinning room I ate at the buffet for other meals. The only thing I didn't like was ordering my meals ahead of time, they have you pre order your meal for the next night. I guess it is easier this way to keep it gluten-free.

The mashed potatoes are not gluten free. Other then that I had lots to eat. Take sweet snacks though cause there isn't much gluten-free there for that, loads of fruit though.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Marie-thanks for the heads up. Sounds like your cruise was nice. glad to hear it went well for you :)

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

Thanks Marie!

I can take my own "treats" on board???

I wasn't sure whether or not they'd permit that. I'd be thrilled if I could have some Enjoy Life Snickerdoodles out at sea.

kbtoyssni Contributor

You can take whatever food you want on board. They won't search your bag! In fact, the more food you bring, the less they have to feed you :) Have fun on the cruise!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

munchkinette Collaborator

I went on RC last summer. I had a really easy time in the main dining room. We had the same waiter every time. He brought us (my brother and I) gluten-free bread every meal. He also went and got us plain white rice from the crew dining room for breakfast one morning.

The buffets- be careful, but there is still some stuff you can eat. The biggest issue is the excursions. If you go on a day tour, make sure to get them to prepare a lunch ahead of time. Pack some snacks in your suitcase.

nothungry Contributor

We are looking into a RC Cruise - I am wondering if any of you were able to get any gluten free vegetarian dishes? I am vegetarian, and it is usually pretty tough to get veggie gluten-free (unless I just want plain veggies). Do they make rice/rice pasta etc. for gluten free options? I would like to go on a Disney cruise, because I know that they cater to vegetarians and gluten free needs too, but the cost is too much for the large group I am traveling with (also, they can eat anything, anywhere, so the food service is not especially important for them). Any tips?

Archived