Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Pms And Cd

11 posts in this topic

Ok, I guess this is a question for the ladies here...

Anyone notice that eating gluten-free effects PMS? I've only been gluten-free for maybe 6 weeks now, but I had been having bad PMS before and this month I had no problems at all! Could it be related? If so, my hubby will sure be happy :lol: I didn't have any PMS symptoms until 3 years ago, when the other symptoms of celiac disease started to get bad. Maybe the two are somehow connected...or maybe I'm just hoping that it's another positive side effect of the gluten-free diet! Also, my face used to break out every month and now it's cleared up almost entirely! Anyone else?

Ads by Google:

After I went gluten free right away I noticed that my skin cleared up a bit too it was great.

Karen

I had bad PMS,and acne which cleared up with my gluten-free diet :D I think they are connected in some way.

I have been glutenfree for amost 2 years and I PMS just as bad as I used to and the brekaing out is back. Waw. I tought maybe all that had passed but not for me!

When my early teen daughter has gotten into something, she becomes this PMS monster. Mine leveled out after going gluten-free, though it took longer than a few weeks. To the one who is still having problems, are you sure you aren't ingesting something hidden? Might want to recheck some labels and especially your soaps and such. The breakouts I have decided are hopeless. My skin gets much better then it breaks out again. Only thing I can figure is an accidental ingestion. The only time I know I got into something, it took six months for the breakout to completely clear.

I know I am not ingesting any gluten. It's nothing out of the normal and probably all enhanced from the stresses of classes! Also, my periods were a little wacky when I started glutenfree but after a few months got back on track. Which could explain a lot.

I had a hysterectomy in 2001..I still have my ovaries though.

I still get one pimple on my chin every month, and I get real teary and sensitive too. it does seem to be worse at the same time each month.

Nothing seems to have changed for me. I might add that there's a lot of stress and tention in my life in connection with my grown children. :(

major night and day change with pms monster (mood) is gone gone gone!!!

even though it was a two day thing turned into 7 or more, is is worht

not having mood problem or depression the day before anymore

gluten-free for 1 year

Glad that some of you noticed a difference after going gluten-free! I'm hoping that the next go-around will be as easy as last time. I had never had PMS before but in the last 3 years (when my other symptoms had gotten bad) I had been having it increasingly worse.

I'm heading into early menopause, so I am having trouble telling the PMS swings from the perimenopausal swings. I want it all to be over!!

This is a really cool thought. I swear it seems everything is connected to celiac disease does'nt it? I never had any real pimple problems not even as a kid, but I contantly had rashes around my mouth and all aver my neck. It looked like pimples but were'nt, it was itchy and burning. I would also get small exema patches around my nose and mouth. Dermatologists never knew what it was. <_< As soon as I went gluten-free it all went away. (of course) My skin is gorgeous now! :D

I never thought about it but I guess the PMS is better too.

I have a 21 year old daughter who is also a celiac. Her skin is also much better. She would also get the same rash which is now gone and her pimple breakouts are better too. I don't think other PMS problems are changed for her though. :( oh well

Wendy ^_^

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Just a quick one to say I got a diagnosis of celiac disease today. I know in the past it's been helpful for me to know the outcome for other folk, so thought I would update. The moral of this story is even with a VERY borderline blood test it's worth persisting. thanks for all the help Sue 
    • Well, I am stressed to the max. I just spent 3 days in the hospital with D and stomach pain, dizziness, chest pain, generally unwell. Then another trip to the ER on top of that. My protein was low and my RBC and hemoglobin dropped below normal in 3 days. Not terribly low, but below normal. I also had metabolic acidosis which still confuses me. I usually eat every 2-3 hours despite it causing pain to keep my energy up and was unable to eat that frequently in the hospital. I usually carry protein with me and had been taking liquid iron which I stopped a few weeks ago because my new endo is not a fan of iron supplements. As soon as I got home from the hospital I started with my protein drinks and blackstrap molasses for iron.  I now have bilateral mild pleural effusions and a nodule on my left lung, which hopefully is nothing, but was not there on a CT back in March. In addition, my left adrenal gland, which also appeared normal in March, is calcified and the report indicates this is most likely due to a previous bleed or infection. My colon appears tortuous (whatever that means) and we are waiting on colon/endo biopsies. I have been gluten-free since March except for cc so expect the biopsies to again be negative.  My primary care is useless. I am in the process of getting a new one I will see on the 7th but need the current one to fill out FMLA paperwork because I both physically and mentally need time to recover. I will have to go off of payroll for 2 weeks but I think I need to. I called the primary's office today to discuss the hospital tests which she does NOT have yet and to ask if we should/could start a low dose of prednisone because my body is attacking itself. My thyroid on ultrasound is also abnormal though my bloodwork thus far is normal. But it hurts on that side. The only reason the ultrasound was ordered is because I asked for it in the first place. The only reason I have started seeing an endocrinologist is because I found one myself. Anyway...I broke down in tears on the phone eith her today and she told me I was having a "manic episode". I have no history of mania. I only recently started taking xanax to help me cope with the stress of being sick. I was not sick until I did this stupid gluten challenge over the winter. My mother was in town and spoke with the doctor on the phone as well who was trying to get my mom to take me to a psych hospital. She also threatened to send the police to check on me. My mother assured her I was in no danger and we hung up the phone in complete shock. Admittedly, I was in tears when I called her and probably sounded like a fucking mess. But I believe I referenced the dropping iron, protein, fluid near lungs, enlarged thyroid and attacked adrenal gland then literally said "my body is attacking itself and I need help" to which she said, "I think you are manic". Lovely. If I was a mess before that phone call it was 10x worse when we hung up.  Anyway, this is the first night it has been extremely difficult to sleep. I admit my thoughts about my odd symptoms keep me up often recently. I mean, who the hell bleeds from or gets an infected adrenal gland?! I am sure it was another time I begged my primary for help. On a side not, the NP at the ER told me the primary should be putting these pieces together and communicating with my other doctors better. He then stated that he used to go to the same practice but left because the practice got too big and like a business. So I got some validation from that chat.  A melatonin or a .25 xanax usually does the trick for me to sleep but I am so disturbed about my interaction today, stressed at my health, stressed that my ex has our son so much because I am always sick (bless him for coming through), stressed that I have to go back to this awful doctor because I will need the FMLA paperwork before I see the new doc on the 7th.  8 months ago, I took a multivitamin when I remembered it and that was it.  End rant. Maybe now that it is off my chest I can finally sleep. 
    • Hi DKH0614, I use aspirin, Pepto Bismol, and peppermint tea or Altoids peppermints.  Pepto Bismol has a soothing effect on the gut.  Pepto Bismol also has aspirin in it.  Peppermint is helpful for relaxing smooth muscle tissue and getting gas out of the stomach. As per KarenG, you may be reacting to dairy.  Dairy has a sugar called lactose in it that some people with celiac have a hard time digesting.  You could try avoiding dairy for a few weeks to see if that helps.  Or try taking lactaid type pills when you eat dairy. It doesn't take very much gluten to cause an immune system reaction.  So it is important to avoid even traces of gluten if possible.  The stuff is hard to avoid sometimes if people around you don't understand how much a small amount of it can affect your body. Let us know if we can help with any  more questions, or if you have concerns we haven't addressed. And welcome to the forum! Also, if you subscribe to the thread (notify me of replies) you'll get an email when people respond to your thread.    
    • After a year and half, if you are eating gluten-free, you shouldn't be having pain from Celiac.  Perhaps you need to find out what is really causing your issues?  Dairy/ lactose is an obvious first place to look.
    • Hi! I am 15 and have been diagnosed with celiac disease for about a year and a half now and I am woundering what do some of y'all use to relive some of the abdominal pains that come along with celiac/gluten allergies?  ( Ibuprofen,  Tylenol, etc.) 
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    DKH0614