9 replies to this topic

#1 nikky

nikky

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 05:40 AM

Im going on an expedition when we go back to school and i need to get a tetnas shot before we go. We are also meant to have been given TB jabs in school last year but for some reason we didnt get one so i have to ask my doctor to give me one. We were wondering if either of them contain any hidden surprises, our biggest worry is of course gluten, although personally i dont see why either of the shots should have any, id rather not have them if they are going to make me ill. Thankyou in advance for your help.

PS: bit of a debate between me and my mom, if i havent had any shots scince the meningitus C one when i was about 8, am i due an MMR booster? (ive only had the one MMR shot all my life and im 15)

"great works are performed not by strength but by perseverence"

Diagnosed coeliac - aged 14

Asthma

Osteopinia

High blood calcium

Crohn's disease -december 2012 

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 05:55 AM

I have to get a TB shot yearly since I work in a hospital. I personally have never had any reactions, to make me ill. Last year I did have raised area for a few days which I usually do not but I did have it checked and it was no big deal. I have been gluten-free for 4 years.
Good luck on your expediction.
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#3 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 06:14 AM

Im going on an expedition when we go back to school and i need to get a tetnas shot before we go. We are also meant to have been given TB jabs in school last year but for some reason we didnt get one so i have to ask my doctor to give me one. We were wondering if either of them contain any hidden surprises, our biggest worry is of course gluten, although personally i dont see why either of the shots should have any, id rather not have them if they are going to make me ill. Thankyou in advance for your help.

PS: bit of a debate between me and my mom, if i havent had any shots scince the meningitus C one when i was about 8, am i due an MMR booster (ive only had the one MMR shot all my life)

You don't need to worry about gluten in anything injected.

With my last tetanus booster, I got a very sore red upper arm for a day or two and that was it.

I had to have TB testing when I worked at the school and other than the expected red mark at the site, I had no side effects from it at all.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#4 gfp

gfp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:07 AM

Tetanus is a 10 yr shot.
TB... I would not take any risks.... even if it did contain gluten its not worth being ill for a few weeks from gluten vs the risk of TB. its on the rise in the UK due to the number of immigrants from the Indian sub-continent and the fact vaccinations have not been kept up because we in the UK thought we had broken it's back, hence vaccinations reduced.

Meningitis is again not worth taking ANY risks.... bacterial is often fatal if not treated quickly... viral can still be fatal ...
I lost a friend to Meningitis (before you were born no doubt)..

The only shots to consider not having are those containing mercury.... (see Raechel's posts) but the UK (unlike NY) only vaccinates a very limited number of potentially fatal diseases....
Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

#5 nikki-uk

nikki-uk

Out running.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:14 AM

Actually TB vaccines are NO longer given in the UK :blink:

I have specifically asked for my 15 yr old son with celiac disease to have it as 'coeliacs' are at more risk of catching TB (going to look for a ref now!)
It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required - Sir Winston Churchill

Nikki

Son diagnosed with Coeliac Disease Oct 2006 by biopsy (at age 13yrs)

Posted Image

#6 nikky

nikky

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:17 AM

Tetanus is a 10 yr shot.
TB... I would not take any risks.... even if it did contain gluten its not worth being ill for a few weeks from gluten vs the risk of TB. its on the rise in the UK due to the number of immigrants from the Indian sub-continent and the fact vaccinations have not been kept up because we in the UK thought we had broken it's back, hence vaccinations reduced.

Meningitis is again not worth taking ANY risks.... bacterial is often fatal if not treated quickly... viral can still be fatal ...
I lost a friend to Meningitis (before you were born no doubt)..

The only shots to consider not having are those containing mercury.... (see Raechel's posts) but the UK (unlike NY) only vaccinates a very limited number of potentially fatal diseases....

Thanks to everyone who has posted so far. My meningitus is up to date. what about rubela? any ideas on that?

Asthma

Osteopinia

High blood calcium

#7 nikki-uk

nikki-uk

Out running.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:18 AM

Here's the reference :

Gluten Intolerance Quadruples Susceptibility to Tuberculosis
Libraries

People who are gluten intolerant run four times the risk of developing active tuberculosis (TB) infection, suggests research published ahead of print in Thorax.

[Coeliac disease and risk of tuberculosis: a population based cohort study Online Fist Thorax 2006; doi: 10.1136/thx.2006.059451]

Newswise People who are gluten intolerant run four times the risk of developing active tuberculosis (TB) infection, suggests research published ahead of print in Thorax.

Gluten intolerance, or coeliac disease, is a chronic inflammatory condition of the small bowel, caused by an exaggerated immune response to the gluten found in wheat, barley, and rye.

It affects up to 1% of the population, and has been linked to several autoimmune diseases, as well as an increased likelihood of lymph gland cancer and complications of pregnancy.

The researchers analysed Swedish hospital discharge records from 1964 to 2003, looking for diagnoses of coeliac disease and TB.

During this period, more than 15,500 people were diagnosed with coeliac disease, almost a third of whom had been diagnosed as adults.

The final analysis was based on 14,335 people, who were compared with almost 70,000 other people, who were free of the disease.

A prior diagnosis of coeliac disease almost quadrupled the chances of active TB infection in both sexes, overall, while a diagnosis in childhood tripled the chances.

In a separate analysis, the researchers looked at the risk of subsequently developing coeliac disease after a diagnosis of TB in the same group of people.

This showed that a prior diagnosis of TB more than doubled the risks of coeliac disease.

The link between TB and gluten intolerance was not influenced by levels of poverty or deprivation with which TB is normally associated.

Poor intake of vitamin D and calcium in people with gluten intolerance as a result of both intestinal malabsorption and the nutritional deficiencies of a gluten free diet, may help to explain the findings, suggest the authors.

Vitamin D is a key player in marshalling the immune response against TB infection.

Click here to view the paper in full:

http://press.pspring...ber/tx59451.pdf

It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required - Sir Winston Churchill

Nikki

Son diagnosed with Coeliac Disease Oct 2006 by biopsy (at age 13yrs)

Posted Image

#8 nikky

nikky

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:21 AM

Actually TB vaccines are NO longer given in the UK :blink:

I have specifically asked for my 15 yr old son with celiac disease to have it as 'coeliacs' are at more risk of catching TB (going to look for a ref now!)

We were told we would get them, our teachers said they had been re-introduced, and my freind said his doc made him have it. Thanks for the info :)

Asthma

Osteopinia

High blood calcium

#9 nikky

nikky

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:25 AM

Here's the reference :

wow thanks for the heads up

Asthma

Osteopinia

High blood calcium

#10 gfp

gfp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 11:33 PM

Rubella...

Nikki, the required shots in the UK are pretty limited (compared to the recommended US ones)...
They are almost all for serious and life threatening situations ... although measles might be said to be lower..

At one point I moved abroad and had a series of shots and missed out typhoid... (just because of timing)...
You can probably guess what I ended up with!

This was actually the trigger to my celaic, my health has never been the same since....
Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: