arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone (else?) Get Glutened By Cedar's Hummus?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Sailing Girl

Sailing Girl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 03:18 PM

I'm trying to track down the culprit in the most severe glutening I've had in months. The only things I had to eat the night before symptoms started were: Back to Nature rice crackers (Kraft product and claim gluten-free on their website), and Cedar's red pepper hummus (also claims gluten-free, right on the package).

I also had a small, CC-type reaction about a week later when DD fed me one potato chip (Terra chips, we eat them all the time with no problem) with some Cedar's hummus on it (at that point I suspected the rice chips in the original glutening, so ate the chip/hummus). I only had about a teaspoonful of hummus, and the reaction was small. But DD ate a bunch of the hummus and Terra chips that night and definitely had a gluten reaction, too.

So which of these three gluten-free-labeled products could it be: the Back to Nature rice crackers, the Cedar's hummus, or the Terra chips? I should note that I've eaten Cedar's hummus in the past with no problem, but in researching this online found that, in June, the FDA forced Cedar's to recall a bunch of hummus because of possible listeria contamination. Perhaps they've rearranged their manufacturing since then, and now the hummus is produced on a line shared with a gluten food?

(BTW, my reactions were definitely gluten-related, not stomach flu related to listeria -- and besides, Cedar's is supposed to have recalled all possibly contaminated products.)

So ... any thoughts?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 igd

igd

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 07:25 AM

I'm trying to track down the culprit in the most severe glutening I've had in months. The only things I had to eat the night before symptoms started were: Back to Nature rice crackers (Kraft product and claim gluten-free on their website), and Cedar's red pepper hummus (also claims gluten-free, right on the package).

I also had a small, CC-type reaction about a week later when DD fed me one potato chip (Terra chips, we eat them all the time with no problem) with some Cedar's hummus on it (at that point I suspected the rice chips in the original glutening, so ate the chip/hummus). I only had about a teaspoonful of hummus, and the reaction was small. But DD ate a bunch of the hummus and Terra chips that night and definitely had a gluten reaction, too.

So which of these three gluten-free-labeled products could it be: the Back to Nature rice crackers, the Cedar's hummus, or the Terra chips? I should note that I've eaten Cedar's hummus in the past with no problem, but in researching this online found that, in June, the FDA forced Cedar's to recall a bunch of hummus because of possible listeria contamination. Perhaps they've rearranged their manufacturing since then, and now the hummus is produced on a line shared with a gluten food?

(BTW, my reactions were definitely gluten-related, not stomach flu related to listeria -- and besides, Cedar's is supposed to have recalled all possibly contaminated products.)

So ... any thoughts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: