26 replies to this topic

#1 jymles

jymles

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 08:07 AM

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease and have been gluten free for a year. No cheating but a few accidental ingestions of hidden gluten, so for the most part I am doing pretty well in my gut. My problem is that I have always been pretty physically active, not a triathelete but weight train and ride a mountain bike regularly, and my endurance and stamina are way lower than before the onset of my gluten problems. After I began taking liquid vitamins by Innovative natural products, and as long as I take them religiously I do ok. But if I miss a day I can tell the difference. It's like I have a gas tank that's just above the empty mark and I'm refilling it with only enough fuel for another mile. My doctors has checked out my heart which is fine, but he is not familar with celiac disease. Another md. diagnosed me. Is there tests for vitamins which we are not getting enough of? Since the liquid vitamins are helping, I'm assuming that I'm not getting enough of something. I also see a lot of mention of avoiding caffiene, why is that. I eat goat cheese but nothing from cows. Thank you for your help.
Jim Campbell

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 09:38 AM

Yes, you can ask your doctor to test your vitamin/mineral levels. (There are a number of vitamins/minerals they can check for. Iron and B vits are two that come to mind as being important to check.)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 mela14

mela14

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 10:32 AM

I had all my vit/minerals checked but all were OK an I still suffer fatigue and muscle pain. Do you have Espstein Barr? That may be something for you to look into.
What liquid vitamins do you take? Are they free of a lot of preservatives?
Good luck to you !
Mel
mela14@optonline.net

10 years of abdominal problems, incorrectly diagnosed with Endometriosis / suffered 7 surgeries. Total hysterectomy 2 years ago!
Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue, Interstitial Cystitis ,IBS, Migraines, Primary Immune Deficiency to name a few. Finally realizing that food intolerances make them all worse!

#4 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 01:09 PM

I was also very active with sports. I played in tournaments 5-6 games a weekend, had alot of endurance and never got tired. I got mono first which I was tested for it 3 times before it was positive. Then I was diagnosed with celiac after that. Liquid vitamins get into your bloodstream quicker so that may be why your body is liking them more. Also Sublingual B vitamins are really good because they also get into your bloodstream quicker and is better absorbed.
Caffeine takes the water out of your system and so you have to drink more or you will dehydrate which can make you tired and sick(I speak from experience)
Good luck :D
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#5 stef_the_kicking_cuty

stef_the_kicking_cuty

Stef and Luke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 09:45 PM

Hi Kaiti,

now i read that again. Liquid vitamins? What is that and where can i get it? Do I need a prescription?

Hugs, Stef
Stef

Next goals:
Results for 2011:
1x PA State Champ (I defended my title in pointfighting) and also again Grand Champion in pointfighting
August 20-27: Karate and Kickboxing World Championships in Germany (my homecountry)
gluten-free since 07/21/2004
Shermans Dale, PA

#6 cdford

cdford

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 10:05 PM

I take shots of the B vitamins and of magnesium sulfate. The B's help with the stamina and thinking problems. They also help with the petechial hemorrhaging spots on the skin. The mag sulfate is a nasty shot but it really helps with the muscle spasms and charlie horses. It only takes a couple of shots a week of the B's to keep me going fairly well.

I just started on a good multi-vitamin to ensure that I am getting all the others.

Shot 1: (works next day and for several)
B-complex 50 units
B-12 25 units
Folic Acid 5-15 units
Add 10 units of xylocaine at the end of the insulin needle and push slowly. Press on injection site for at least 30 seconds.

Shot 2: (works on muscles immediately)
70-80 units of mag sulfate
5 units of xylocaine
PUSH SLOWLY OVER 2-3 FULL MINUTES
Donna
South Georgia
9 yrs gluten-free
...also DH, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, osteopenia, hypothyroid...

After almost 10 years, I am doing soooo much better!

#7 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 06:20 AM

Stef-you can get liquid vitamins at a vitamin or health food store. You do not need a prescription. They are really good because your body absorbs them better. :D
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

#8 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 06:42 AM

I also have problems with fatigue, energy levels, and lack of stamina. Most of my vitamin levels have been checked (to my knowlegde) and the only one that wasn't excellent was calcium. So I don't know why I am still having problems.
I try everything to get energy. I drink boost (which helps sometimes), I take lots of vitamins and minerals, I drink tons of orange juice/grape juice, and I eat a lot.
I hope you find the source to your problem.
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#9 stef_the_kicking_cuty

stef_the_kicking_cuty

Stef and Luke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 10:25 AM

Hi Kaiti,

I also knew, that the body absorbs the things better, when you spray it under the tongue. We learnt that in medicine school with the Nitro Spray. Yeah, well, but i didn't know, that there are also vitamins you can spray. That's awesome, i gotta try that.

@ cdford: I'm sure the shots work fine. I only heard good stuff about it. I'm just not a big fan of needles :lol: , so i might try the liquid vitamins first.

Thanks for all your answers,
Stef
Stef

Next goals:
Results for 2011:
1x PA State Champ (I defended my title in pointfighting) and also again Grand Champion in pointfighting
August 20-27: Karate and Kickboxing World Championships in Germany (my homecountry)
gluten-free since 07/21/2004
Shermans Dale, PA

#10 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 10:51 AM

Stef-the liquid vitamins I take are drinkable. I have a b12 vitamin as well that is sublingual though and you put it under your tongue. There are also minerals you can get and put drops into your drink. One of my doctors actually recommended them too me.
Talk to you soon :D
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Arkansas

"One Nation, Under God"

#11 YankeeDB

YankeeDB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 12:40 PM

My fatigue improved after I got tested for food allergies via York labs and as a result began avoiding daily, yeast, soy, eggs, pears, cashews, and sunflower seeds.

#12 jymles

jymles

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 06:42 PM

Thank you all for your input. It's been frustrating trying to get help. On my recent doctor visits I end up explaining what Celiac disease is, before we start the exam. I take liquid: multivitamins, minerals and iron, from Innovative Natural Products. I need to check on the preservatives. But they are Gluten free, I called. I order them online, but some health food stores carry them. Thanks again.

#13 jymles

jymles

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 07:56 PM

Kaiti,
What brand of sublingual vitamin b do you use? Thanks

#14 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 08:14 PM

jymles-I use Enzymatic Therapy sublingual b vitamins. They mark their supplements of what they are free of on the bottle :D I use a lot of this brand.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Arkansas

"One Nation, Under God"

#15 cdford

cdford

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 11:11 PM

Surely you don't think I actually LIKE those shots! I used to panic at the sight of a needle, but if it makes me have this much energy, I'll do it. Especially with the muscle spasms, the doc says you can't get enough magnesium fast enough with any method other than the shots. It's a bummer, but at least it is a regular insulin needle and not one of those huge ugly ones I used to have to take.

It's awful when even your six year old knows how to pull and give a shot.
Donna
South Georgia
9 yrs gluten-free
...also DH, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, osteopenia, hypothyroid...

After almost 10 years, I am doing soooo much better!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: