This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Dealing With Fatigue And Lack Of Stamina

jymles

jymles Newbie

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease and have been gluten free for a year. No cheating but a few accidental ingestions of hidden gluten, so for the most part I am doing pretty well in my gut. My problem is that I have always been pretty physically active, not a triathelete but weight train and ride a mountain bike regularly, and my endurance and stamina are way lower than before the onset of my gluten problems. After I began taking liquid vitamins by Innovative natural products, and as long as I take them religiously I do ok. But if I miss a day I can tell the difference. It's like I have a gas tank that's just above the empty mark and I'm refilling it with only enough fuel for another mile. My doctors has checked out my heart which is fine, but he is not familar with celiac disease. Another md. diagnosed me. Is there tests for vitamins which we are not getting enough of? Since the liquid vitamins are helping, I'm assuming that I'm not getting enough of something. I also see a lot of mention of avoiding caffiene, why is that. I eat goat cheese but nothing from cows. Thank you for your help.

Jim Campbell

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

Yes, you can ask your doctor to test your vitamin/mineral levels. (There are a number of vitamins/minerals they can check for. Iron and B vits are two that come to mind as being important to check.)

mela14 Enthusiast

I had all my vit/minerals checked but all were OK an I still suffer fatigue and muscle pain. Do you have Espstein Barr? That may be something for you to look into.

What liquid vitamins do you take? Are they free of a lot of preservatives?

Good luck to you !

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I was also very active with sports. I played in tournaments 5-6 games a weekend, had alot of endurance and never got tired. I got mono first which I was tested for it 3 times before it was positive. Then I was diagnosed with celiac after that. Liquid vitamins get into your bloodstream quicker so that may be why your body is liking them more. Also Sublingual B vitamins are really good because they also get into your bloodstream quicker and is better absorbed.

Caffeine takes the water out of your system and so you have to drink more or you will dehydrate which can make you tired and sick(I speak from experience)

Good luck :D

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

Hi Kaiti,

now i read that again. Liquid vitamins? What is that and where can i get it? Do I need a prescription?

Hugs, Stef

cdford Contributor

I take shots of the B vitamins and of magnesium sulfate. The B's help with the stamina and thinking problems. They also help with the petechial hemorrhaging spots on the skin. The mag sulfate is a nasty shot but it really helps with the muscle spasms and charlie horses. It only takes a couple of shots a week of the B's to keep me going fairly well.

I just started on a good multi-vitamin to ensure that I am getting all the others.

Shot 1: (works next day and for several)

B-complex 50 units

B-12 25 units

Folic Acid 5-15 units

Add 10 units of xylocaine at the end of the insulin needle and push slowly. Press on injection site for at least 30 seconds.

Shot 2: (works on muscles immediately)

70-80 units of mag sulfate

5 units of xylocaine

PUSH SLOWLY OVER 2-3 FULL MINUTES

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Stef-you can get liquid vitamins at a vitamin or health food store. You do not need a prescription. They are really good because your body absorbs them better. :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I also have problems with fatigue, energy levels, and lack of stamina. Most of my vitamin levels have been checked (to my knowlegde) and the only one that wasn't excellent was calcium. So I don't know why I am still having problems.

I try everything to get energy. I drink boost (which helps sometimes), I take lots of vitamins and minerals, I drink tons of orange juice/grape juice, and I eat a lot.

I hope you find the source to your problem.

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

Hi Kaiti,

I also knew, that the body absorbs the things better, when you spray it under the tongue. We learnt that in medicine school with the Nitro Spray. Yeah, well, but i didn't know, that there are also vitamins you can spray. That's awesome, i gotta try that.

@ cdford: I'm sure the shots work fine. I only heard good stuff about it. I'm just not a big fan of needles :lol: , so i might try the liquid vitamins first.

Thanks for all your answers,

Stef

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Stef-the liquid vitamins I take are drinkable. I have a b12 vitamin as well that is sublingual though and you put it under your tongue. There are also minerals you can get and put drops into your drink. One of my doctors actually recommended them too me.

Talk to you soon :D

YankeeDB Contributor

My fatigue improved after I got tested for food allergies via York labs and as a result began avoiding daily, yeast, soy, eggs, pears, cashews, and sunflower seeds.

jymles Newbie

Thank you all for your input. It's been frustrating trying to get help. On my recent doctor visits I end up explaining what Celiac disease is, before we start the exam. I take liquid: multivitamins, minerals and iron, from Innovative Natural Products. I need to check on the preservatives. But they are Gluten free, I called. I order them online, but some health food stores carry them. Thanks again.

jymles Newbie

Kaiti,

What brand of sublingual vitamin b do you use? Thanks

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

jymles-I use Enzymatic Therapy sublingual b vitamins. They mark their supplements of what they are free of on the bottle :D I use a lot of this brand.

cdford Contributor

Surely you don't think I actually LIKE those shots! I used to panic at the sight of a needle, but if it makes me have this much energy, I'll do it. Especially with the muscle spasms, the doc says you can't get enough magnesium fast enough with any method other than the shots. It's a bummer, but at least it is a regular insulin needle and not one of those huge ugly ones I used to have to take.

It's awful when even your six year old knows how to pull and give a shot.

aaascr Apprentice

just as an fyi - Blue Sky's Blue Energy drink if gluten-free, though hard to find.

I have 2 stores order it for me. blueskysodas.com

mela14 Enthusiast

Donna,

I use to get the magnesium shot too but it was the larger needle and it hurt! I was also getting weekly vitamin infusions. My energy seemed to be better at that time but I was still having gut problems as I did not know about the food allergies.

does the dr give you a script for te magnesiusm to take home and then you do it yourself? Right now the only IM vit I am taking is B12 and it seems to help with fatiuge as well.

Does your internist give you the script? Not usre who to ask for it?

kdskaggs Newbie

Hi Donna,

Are your injectable injections a doctor's presription? The reason I ask is that I was getting weekly B-12/complex/C injections when I felt run down, actually I was coming down with a virus. My doctor told me that I could only take them weekly for a month because they change your blood cells. You might want to check into this if you have been taking them for longer than a month. In your particular case it might be fine, just thought I'd pass it on.

Kenda

:D

cdford Contributor

Yes, I have a script for the shots. I use a regular (not the short) insulin needle. I pick up the mag sulfate and the xylocaine at the pharmacy but the doctor has me get the other three from his office since they are harder to find. He seems to think that the long term problems of vitamin deficencies and the damage to the nerves and muscles are a much bigger problem than the side effects of the injections. Since I don't take large amounts and it makes such a difference, he says keep it up. I will discuss your concerns with him the next time I visit just to cover all the bases.

I have been on the mag sulfate shots for several years. I go through periods of time when I require two or three a day and then times when the muscle spasms are not such a problem and I go days without them. Those who don't have the muscle spasms probably don't need to worry with that one anyway. My hands would spasm so badly that the nails would cut into the skin. It was awful.

cdford Contributor

Sorry, I did not answer all the questions. Yes, I take the shots at home. My kids know how to pull them and give them when I am too spasmed to hold the needle. There are also several friends and church members who have learned to recognize the signs and get the shot ready. There have been times when it has been a life saver.

The mag sulfate is a nasty shot. I pull 5 units of xylocaine and place it into a 2ml bottle of mag sulfate and mix. I then pull the mixture into the needle and cap the needle with just a little more xylocaine. You have to push really slowly or it will hurt so badly you will cry and will ooze back out of the injection site. It should take 2-3 full minutes to give an 80 unit shot. I usually push 2 units, count to 5, then push two more. It does not hurt so badly that way and it gives the mix time to absorb. It can be given in the back of the arm, the thigh, or in the belly. I rotate so that one area does not become too tender.

• 3 weeks later...
joe2008 Newbie

has anyone heard of inositol powder? I'm trying it to boost my seretonin levels and I think it should give me more energy. Also, I'm taking magnesium in pill form 500 mg a day, is this still inadequate?

megzmc3611 Rookie

Enzymatic Therapy has a product called "Fatigued to Fantastic".....

Suppose to give you energy and several nutrients. Has anyone heard of and or used this product?

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Yep I use Fatigued to Fantastic by Enzymatic Therapy....I really like it too.

kabowman Explorer

I have problems with fatigue and upping my dose of vitamin B complex complete to two 1,000 percent pills per day helps - however, as soon as I am active, I go back to naps and complete exhaustion again. I was considering talking to my doc about shots but don't know if they might or might not help.

I rearranged my office yesterday morning, had to take two naps so I could go to bed and crash at 10 and today am still completely exhausted...we are preparing to move also - closing on both houses in less than a month.

Any ideas????

-Kate

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Have you had your thyroid checked. I just found out I have Graves disease(hyperthyroid). Thyroid problems run with celiac alot. Also I would have your blood sugar checked. Make sure you are taking vitamins as well. A good liquid vitamin is extremely good. I take Liquid Vitamins Plus by Utrition and they are ultra absorbable. Also how long have you been gluten-free?

Archived