26 replies to this topic

#16 aaascr

aaascr

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 08:21 AM

just as an fyi - Blue Sky's Blue Energy drink if gluten-free, though hard to find.
I have 2 stores order it for me. blueskysodas.com
alicia
been gluten-free 4 yrs.
too many food allergies to list!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 mela14

mela14

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 05:21 AM

Donna,

I use to get the magnesium shot too but it was the larger needle and it hurt! I was also getting weekly vitamin infusions. My energy seemed to be better at that time but I was still having gut problems as I did not know about the food allergies.
does the dr give you a script for te magnesiusm to take home and then you do it yourself? Right now the only IM vit I am taking is B12 and it seems to help with fatiuge as well.
Does your internist give you the script? Not usre who to ask for it?
Mel
mela14@optonline.net

10 years of abdominal problems, incorrectly diagnosed with Endometriosis / suffered 7 surgeries. Total hysterectomy 2 years ago!
Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue, Interstitial Cystitis ,IBS, Migraines, Primary Immune Deficiency to name a few. Finally realizing that food intolerances make them all worse!

#18 kdskaggs

kdskaggs

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 07:39 AM

Hi Donna,

Are your injectable injections a doctor's presription? The reason I ask is that I was getting weekly B-12/complex/C injections when I felt run down, actually I was coming down with a virus. My doctor told me that I could only take them weekly for a month because they change your blood cells. You might want to check into this if you have been taking them for longer than a month. In your particular case it might be fine, just thought I'd pass it on.

Kenda
:D

#19 cdford

cdford

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 09:40 PM

Yes, I have a script for the shots. I use a regular (not the short) insulin needle. I pick up the mag sulfate and the xylocaine at the pharmacy but the doctor has me get the other three from his office since they are harder to find. He seems to think that the long term problems of vitamin deficencies and the damage to the nerves and muscles are a much bigger problem than the side effects of the injections. Since I don't take large amounts and it makes such a difference, he says keep it up. I will discuss your concerns with him the next time I visit just to cover all the bases.

I have been on the mag sulfate shots for several years. I go through periods of time when I require two or three a day and then times when the muscle spasms are not such a problem and I go days without them. Those who don't have the muscle spasms probably don't need to worry with that one anyway. My hands would spasm so badly that the nails would cut into the skin. It was awful.
Donna
South Georgia
9 yrs gluten-free
...also DH, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, osteopenia, hypothyroid...

After almost 10 years, I am doing soooo much better!

#20 cdford

cdford

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 09:46 PM

Sorry, I did not answer all the questions. Yes, I take the shots at home. My kids know how to pull them and give them when I am too spasmed to hold the needle. There are also several friends and church members who have learned to recognize the signs and get the shot ready. There have been times when it has been a life saver.

The mag sulfate is a nasty shot. I pull 5 units of xylocaine and place it into a 2ml bottle of mag sulfate and mix. I then pull the mixture into the needle and cap the needle with just a little more xylocaine. You have to push really slowly or it will hurt so badly you will cry and will ooze back out of the injection site. It should take 2-3 full minutes to give an 80 unit shot. I usually push 2 units, count to 5, then push two more. It does not hurt so badly that way and it gives the mix time to absorb. It can be given in the back of the arm, the thigh, or in the belly. I rotate so that one area does not become too tender.
Donna
South Georgia
9 yrs gluten-free
...also DH, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, osteopenia, hypothyroid...

After almost 10 years, I am doing soooo much better!

#21 joe2008

joe2008

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 01:48 AM

has anyone heard of inositol powder? I'm trying it to boost my seretonin levels and I think it should give me more energy. Also, I'm taking magnesium in pill form 500 mg a day, is this still inadequate?

#22 megzmc3611

megzmc3611

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 06:33 AM

Enzymatic Therapy has a product called "Fatigued to Fantastic".....
Suppose to give you energy and several nutrients. Has anyone heard of and or used this product?
Megan
Diagnosed Celiac in Feb 2004
Boston, MA

#23 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 06:41 AM

Yep I use Fatigued to Fantastic by Enzymatic Therapy....I really like it too.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#24 kabowman

kabowman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 07:56 AM

I have problems with fatigue and upping my dose of vitamin B complex complete to two 1,000 percent pills per day helps - however, as soon as I am active, I go back to naps and complete exhaustion again. I was considering talking to my doc about shots but don't know if they might or might not help.

I rearranged my office yesterday morning, had to take two naps so I could go to bed and crash at 10 and today am still completely exhausted...we are preparing to move also - closing on both houses in less than a month.

Any ideas????

-Kate
-Kate
gluten-free since July 2004

Other Intolerances:
Strawberries and Banannas (2007)
Nitrates (April 2006)
Yeast (which includes all vinegar so no condiments) (Oct. 2004)
Peanuts (Nov. 2004)
Soy (Oct. 2004)
Almonds (Sept. 2004)
Corn (Sept. 2004)
Lactose/Casein (1999)

#25 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 08:58 AM

Have you had your thyroid checked. I just found out I have Graves disease(hyperthyroid). Thyroid problems run with celiac alot. Also I would have your blood sugar checked. Make sure you are taking vitamins as well. A good liquid vitamin is extremely good. I take Liquid Vitamins Plus by Utrition and they are ultra absorbable. Also how long have you been gluten-free?
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#26 kabowman

kabowman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 10:33 AM

I take multi vitamins (don't care for the liquid), plus 500 C, 1000 calcium, and the B vitamin-complex/complete.

Blood sugar is a problem but I keep that pretty controlled because of a yeast intolerance too which elimates almost everything sweet and I eat protein with most carbs for balance. Discussed with dietition.

I have been gluten-free since July 2004, soy, peanut, and corn free since August 2004, almond and garbonzo bean free since September 2004, yeast free since October 2004, and lactose/casein and MSG free for more than 5 years

My thyroid has been checked within the last 6 months. My iron, last we checked about 6 months ago was OK too...and the doc said I don't have all the points for (sp) fibremyalga.

I have NOT been formerly dx with celiac disease. I was gluten-free for several months before my doc checked and by then (not before) I knew there was a danger of no visible signs for a positive ID and I told the docs that I REFUSED to go back in order for a positive ID and no definitive signs of damage were found.

-Kate
-Kate
gluten-free since July 2004

Other Intolerances:
Strawberries and Banannas (2007)
Nitrates (April 2006)
Yeast (which includes all vinegar so no condiments) (Oct. 2004)
Peanuts (Nov. 2004)
Soy (Oct. 2004)
Almonds (Sept. 2004)
Corn (Sept. 2004)
Lactose/Casein (1999)

#27 mela14

mela14

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 01:52 PM

Hi Kate,

Boy you sound a lot like me with all the intolerances. How do you do it? I am still having a hard time and often find myself eating something I think is safe and then reacting to it. Vitamins are a little problematic for me as they irritate the heck out of my gut. I just started cutting my vitamins in quarters. Let's see how that works for me. All my blood tests were good....not showing any vit deficiencies.
I am going to columbia presbyterian tomorrow for a consult ....just in case someone is missing something. I know I will NOT go back on gluten for an endoscopy so let's see what they have to say about that. I thought I was doing a good job watching the gluten but test results yesterday showed a number of 35.....still high but at least nowhere near 66 from 4 months ago.
My dr also ran other tests and of course soooooo many more intolerances...ones that I have been reacting to. What do you eat? I am having a hard time with variety and often find myself craving something sweet. I have given into raisins, and some fruits and apple sauce but now...the Candida is in flare! back on a round of Nystatin to help me along. With my immune deficiencies it is hard to keep things in check.
OH WELL................more chicken tonght for dinner!
Mel
mela14@optonline.net

10 years of abdominal problems, incorrectly diagnosed with Endometriosis / suffered 7 surgeries. Total hysterectomy 2 years ago!
Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue, Interstitial Cystitis ,IBS, Migraines, Primary Immune Deficiency to name a few. Finally realizing that food intolerances make them all worse!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: