#1 Sweetfudge

Sweetfudge

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 07:49 PM

Seriously, what the freaking heck????
I got a free sample in the mail today of the "New, Gluten Free" Benefiber. Right on the bottle, it says Gluten Free. So I looked at the ingredient list to see what was in it, and the one and only ingredient listed is wheat dextrin. Tell me how this makes sense? I was half tempted to try it out, but thought I'd talk to you smart people first and see if I'm the only one who thinks this is nuts :rolleyes:
Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT
Gluten-free since June 2006
Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991
Dairy-free for good since summer 2008
Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008
Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(
Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GlutenGalAZ

GlutenGalAZ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:56 PM

Does the new ingredient, Wheat Dextrin, have any ill effects on people who experience wheat allergies or wheat intolerance?
Benefiber® (N) Powder which contains less than 10 ppm of gluten, is considered 'gluten-free', based on the Codex Alimentarius Commission's proposed definition of less than 20 ppm. However, people who experience gluten intolerance should not consume any products, including Benefiber®, that contain any level of gluten unless otherwise directed by their doctor.

Above is on the Benefiber website under FAQ's -- it is the very last one. I wouldn't try it.....
Isn't this kind of like the Rice Dream Milk where they have a little gluten (barley wasn't it) in it but not over the limit so they can say it is gluten free?
What is up with these companies wanting to sell gluten free items but not thinking that a lot of people are sensitive to even a very small amount. It is nice though that they make the last comment in their statement about if you are gluten intolerant then you should not cosume the product.

Rebecca

Partial Gluten Free March 2007
Completely Gluten Free February 2008
Tapioca Starch/Flour Free April 2008
No MSG July 2008
Cut out Nitrates//Nitrites January 2009
Problems with Tomatoes and Potatoes -- Cut out Nightshades Aug '09

#3 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:01 PM

http://www.querycat....fe6bfd0720efa27

http://www.glutenfre...showtopic=26327
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#4 Sweetfudge

Sweetfudge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 10:14 PM

yeah, kinda pisses me off. misleading people like that. i'm definitely going to be writing to the company.
Sweetfudge

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

#5 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,763 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 03:52 AM

Does the new ingredient, Wheat Dextrin, have any ill effects on people who experience wheat allergies or wheat intolerance?
Benefiber® (N) Powder which contains less than 10 ppm of gluten, is considered 'gluten-free', based on the Codex Alimentarius Commission's proposed definition of less than 20 ppm. However, people who experience gluten intolerance should not consume any products, including Benefiber®, that contain any level of gluten unless otherwise directed by their doctor.

Above is on the Benefiber website under FAQ's -- it is the very last one. I wouldn't try it.....
Isn't this kind of like the Rice Dream Milk where they have a little gluten (barley wasn't it) in it but not over the limit so they can say it is gluten free?
What is up with these companies wanting to sell gluten free items but not thinking that a lot of people are sensitive to even a very small amount. It is nice though that they make the last comment in their statement about if you are gluten intolerant then you should not cosume the product.

I wouldn't touch this stuff but at least they let you know the wheat is in there. I can't stand the fact that a governmental body is going to decide how much poison my body can take. Gluten free should be gluten free period. With the new labeling regs they can now legally hide it if they choose to, Rice Dream is a real good example of that. The new regs are going to actually make it harder for us to tell what is really safe. I know the arguement that if they had a zero tolerance to gluten on labels it would leave us with less choices but I feel that is preferable to roulette with any processed product. They really weren't taking our health concerns into the regulations. IMHO they formed the new labeling regs for the convience of the maker and not us. It leaves us with no choice but to call every company regardless of the labels.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#6 Sweetfudge

Sweetfudge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 07:38 PM

I can't stand the fact that a governmental body is going to decide how much poison my body can take.

Me too!!!

I feel that is preferable to roulette with any processed product.

Seriously!!!
Sweetfudge

#7 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 02:59 AM

All I know is that Benefiber did not have any wheat product in it before Novartis
reformulated it. We have called them numerous times in the past couple of years after
the reformulation and feel that Novartis really couldn't care less. In their minds
it's Gluten free because they say so based on the # of blah blahs per PPM.

I just want the old formula back, that's all I ask for.

We recently purchased the Wal Mart brand of fiber and the manufacturer over the phone stated that it's gluten-free. It's called EZ Fiber.
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#8 sammers1

sammers1

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 03:21 AM

Fibure Sure is gluten free & is similiar to Benefiber. You mix it & drink & can also put it in foods.

#9 gfp

gfp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 03:32 AM

Strange, I have been warning everyone about the CODEX gluten-free for quite a while.
Now it's too late it seems suddenly like this is a new topic?

As I have repeatedly posted the relevant parts of the CODEX and they have been ignored I don't feel inclined to do it again.
The bottom line is the CODEX is written by the food industry (Canada and the US actually getting the majority of votes.)
It is passed by the WHO .. but written by the food industry who present faked biased studies to say that 20ppm does NO MORE HARM than people who SAY they are totally gluten-free. (SAY is bolded, these studies don't actually check)

Well, due to apathy the US has adopted the VOLUNTARY standard that forces (practically) anything labelled gluten-free to had added gluten... so welcome to the lottery.
Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

#10 Sweetfudge

Sweetfudge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 12:55 PM

Strange, I have been warning everyone about the CODEX gluten-free for quite a while.
Now it's too late it seems suddenly like this is a new topic?

As I have repeatedly posted the relevant parts of the CODEX and they have been ignored I don't feel inclined to do it again.
The bottom line is the CODEX is written by the food industry (Canada and the US actually getting the majority of votes.)
It is passed by the WHO .. but written by the food industry who present faked biased studies to say that 20ppm does NO MORE HARM than people who SAY they are totally gluten-free. (SAY is bolded, these studies don't actually check)

Well, due to apathy the US has adopted the VOLUNTARY standard that forces (practically) anything labelled gluten-free to had added gluten... so welcome to the lottery.

hmmmmm
Sweetfudge

#11 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,146 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 08:50 AM

I use Yerba Prima brand Psyllium husks. It is a powder so you can put it in any food you want to. Not saying this is better than other brands, it is just the one I picked up.at Vitamin Shoppee.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psyllium
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: