This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Inability To Properly Absorb Water?

Woolygimp

Woolygimp Contributor

Some of the worst symptoms I have that are related to Celiac are those suggesting minor dehydration. Drinking water does absolutely nothing to alleviate these symptoms, but I've noticed that if I drink Gatorade I feel quite a bit of improvement. Dry skin disappears, i start getting tons of saliva in my mouth, eyes water again, and I don't feel as anxious. Boost of energy as well.

I notice the same improvement, to a lesser extent, when drinking sugar drinks such as fruit juice, orange juice, or soda. Water doesn't seem to help at all - I can drink a ton and still feel thirsty, still feel dehydrated.

Gatorade and sugar drinks definitely help me, and make me feel rehydrated but they aren't exactly healthy as a primary beverage. I'm guessing that maybe my intestines are damaged and have a difficult time absorbing water, and that the glucose/sodium in the drinks aid in the absorption of liquids? I'd also like to note that I eat a healthy amount of salt.

I don't know, but I'm lost. Found a few articles relating to inability of celiacs to properly absorb enough water, but nothing as to how to alleviate it or resolve symptoms.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator

I also drink a lot of water, which is all I drink except for orange juice to cover the taste of some supplements. I figure the thirst is related to an electrolyte imbalance. Salt helps somewhat, though not enough. I've read magnesium helps boost absorption, and taking this does help, though again it's not a total fix.

Slowly, it seems the thirst is lessening, and I can tell that absorption is returning at the same time. So I think it's just gonna take a long time. But as I read about things which might help, I try them out. I don't doubt there may be more which could be done to aid the healing process.

katifer Apprentice

my nutritionist said that was actually intolerance/allergy to sugar cane. take it or leave it- b/c he isnt a doctor---and is pretty earthy--it has helped alot!``

ShayFL Enthusiast

I would add a pinch of salt to your water, a few drops of trace minerals as well. This should help.

Woolygimp Contributor
I would add a pinch of salt to your water, a few drops of trace minerals as well. This should help.

It's not just the salt though. Glucose is actually the more important ingredient because it helps the osmosis and absorption inside the intestines.

It's the reason that soda and other high sugar drinks are advocated as much better alternatives to water when given to sick individuals who are vomiting/diarrhea due to an acute illness.

Jestgar Rising Star
It's not just the salt though. Glucose is actually the more important ingredient because it helps the osmosis and absorption inside the intestines.

It's the reason that soda and other high sugar drinks are advocated as much better alternatives to water when given to sick individuals who are vomiting/diarrhea due to an acute illness.

Actually your intestinal cells have both sodium and sugar pumps. You need both.

I'm pretty sure that water is hard for everyone to absorb, maybe it's that much harder for you. Stop drinking water, switch to soups or something.

YoloGx Rookie

Besides using electrolytes and fruit juice etc. I suggest you all consider using slippery elm and/or marshmallow root caps to help heal and soothe and rehydrate your intestines and thus your whole body. If your villi are in really bad shape also consider using bromelain/papain caps between meals as a fibronylitic agent (i.e., reduces swelling and heals scar tissue).

When the intestines are healed enough, consider also using fresh ground flax seed (1 tablespoon before grinding them in your clean coffee grinder mixed with 1/4 tsp. apple pectin) mixed in water, chased with water or with your juice. It should help immensely with your general feeling of hydration and as a bulking agent as well as giving you omega 3's.

I am actually a little jealous since I can't handle eating much fruit at all let alone fruit juice or sugar due to candida overgrowth! Am glad it works for you.

Bea

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

And listen to Yolo. She seems pretty sharp.

sickchick Community Regular

Yolo gives THE BEST advice... without a doubt ;)

I think Seltzer Water has a little bit of sodium, I drank it when I got the flu last week. :P

lovelove

ShayFL Enthusiast

Coconut water is supposed to be EXCELLENT for dehydration and easily absorbable.

AndrewNYC Explorer

Try Gatorage G2 or Pedialyte over regular gatorade.

dbmamaz Explorer

I drank gatoraide for years when I got that really bad thirsty feeling. I discovered it fairly late in life, and was just thrilled how much it helped. When i met my 2nd husband, he was kinda thrilled becuase he'd never met a woman who drank it :P

I was also noticing that i'd gone thru this summer and only wanted gatoraide one or two times and was really wondering why - i guess its that i'm healthier . .. so hopefully it will improve for you (I've been gluten-free since november 07)

YoloGx Rookie
Yolo gives THE BEST advice... without a doubt ;)

lovelove

Thanks you guys! I really do need to write that book.

Bea

GlutenWrangler Contributor

I have the same exact problem that you're having. It's frustrating. I definitely think it has a lot to do with the Glucose aiding in absorption, along with the added electrolytes. It hasn't really improved for me at all in the past two years. Hopefully you'll have better luck than me. Take care,

-Brian

powerbraid Rookie
Some of the worst symptoms I have that are related to Celiac are those suggesting minor dehydration. Drinking water does absolutely nothing to alleviate these symptoms, but I've noticed that if I drink Gatorade I feel quite a bit of improvement. Dry skin disappears, i start getting tons of saliva in my mouth, eyes water again, and I don't feel as anxious. Boost of energy as well.

I notice the same improvement, to a lesser extent, when drinking sugar drinks such as fruit juice, orange juice, or soda. Water doesn't seem to help at all - I can drink a ton and still feel thirsty, still feel dehydrated.

Gatorade and sugar drinks definitely help me, and make me feel rehydrated but they aren't exactly healthy as a primary beverage. I'm guessing that maybe my intestines are damaged and have a difficult time absorbing water, and that the glucose/sodium in the drinks aid in the absorption of liquids? I'd also like to note that I eat a healthy amount of salt.

I don't know, but I'm lost. Found a few articles relating to inability of celiacs to properly absorb enough water, but nothing as to how to alleviate it or resolve symptoms.

I'm not sure if I have the same problem, but I too am ALWAYS thirsty. Then, I discovered Coconut Water. It really seems to help. I use O.N.E. and Amy & Brian's Coconut Water, and they are both gluten-free! ;)

Woolygimp Contributor

I'd just like to note that I can drink Gatorade/Powerade and feel total improvement. I'm just concerned over the fact that making a sports drink my primary beverage can not be too healthy, then of course maybe I'm better off with the extra sugar/calories instead of being constantly dehydrated because that can't be too healthy either.

Gonna give coconut water a shot if I can find some in town.

RiceGuy Collaborator

I just looked up the ingredients for Gatorade, and it looks like mostly sodium and potassium for the nutrients. There is citric acid too, which does enhance absorption. I don't know if the sugar has anything to do with quenching thirst, but I don't eat sugar anyway. I think what I might try is some salt, potassium, citric acid, and a little Stevia for sweetener. The taste will be somewhat lemony. Some berries would probably make it taste better.

I'll post the results once I see what it does. if anything.

Woolygimp Contributor

Well what I've read after doing quite a bit of research is that the sugar and glucose is absolutely essential and is probably the main reason that I'm able to feel such an improvement drinking it.

The salt speeds up the absorption of the sugar, which is the main means of osmosis and allows the liquid to cross the intestinal membrane into the bloodstream.

That's why it's always recommended for someone suffering from dehydration to drink a sugary drink, as anything (including sodas) are better than pure water. Ever been told to drink 7up when sick and vomiting? Water is very inefficient at replacing lost liquids in those suffering from acute dehydration or any sickness where large amounts of fluids are lost fast. Find any dehydration or oral rehydration solution and they are all loaded with sugar, for a reason.

I've tried drinking salt with my water, and it didn't help. Almost positive it's the sugar.

Quoted from wiki:

Sugar is absolutely essential to improve adequate absorption of electrolytes and water, but the presence of sugar in ORS solutions does tend to cause diarrhea to worsen. Although oral rehydration with a sugar solution does not stop diarrhea, and the diarrhea contributes to further loss of fluids, oral rehydration helps replace these fluids. It thus keeps the body hydrated and gives the patient a greatly improved chance of surviving the diarrhea. If a broth can be prepared from simple carbohydrates and substituted for sugar in the solution, diarrhea can sometimes be reduced while oral rehydration remains effective.

Oral rehydration therapy is widely considered to be the best method for combating the dehydration caused by diarrhea and/or vomiting.

Various diseases cause damage to the intestine, allowing water to flow from the blood into the intestine, depleting the body of both fluid and electrolytes. This may be

* a direct destruction of the cells lining the intestine (the enterocytes),

ORT consists of a solution of salts and sugars which is administered orally.

Pretty interesting stuff, basically it says that in cases of damaged intestinal cells sugar is essential.

hangininthere Apprentice

Plain water doesn't 'soak in' with me either, leaves me feeling just as dehydrated.

But when I add a splash of bottled concentrated lemon juice to my glass of water, it soaks in and I feel hydrated.

You could try this.

Just add a splash of bottled concentrated lemon juice to your glass of water.

Of course fresh lemon would be better, as the bottled juice has a preservative in it. But I can't get to store for fresh lemons on a regular basis, so I use the bottled concentrate.

Best wishes to all,

Patti

RiceGuy Collaborator

That's interesting stuff - about the sugar. I don't eat any sugar accept for what's in fruit and such, so I wonder. Perhaps I'll try adding salt, potassium, and citric acid to some fruit juice.

veggienft Rookie

Yolo, hangininthere, jestgar and rice guy all have it nailed. It's the potassium.

Like other celiacs here, I'm on a no-sugar, almost-no-fruit candida diet. I can't tolerate high sugar, or high salicilate fruits like blueberries, bananas and oranges. That makes it VERY difficult to get potassium. I exist on that fine line which you encounter occasionally.

I seem to tolerate lime juice well, and lemon juice okay. So every day I squeeze half of one of them in a glass of water, and that fixes the tired-and-dry symptoms I share with you.

People can, not just survive, but flourish on a blood sugar level near ZERO. It's called ketosis. We do not need sugar ....at all. And we need very little starch. But we require meat and fat.

neesee Apprentice
Yolo, hangininthere, jestgar and rice guy all have it nailed. It's the potassium.

Like other celiacs here, I'm on a no-sugar, almost-no-fruit candida diet. I can't tolerate high sugar, or high salicilate fruits like blueberries, bananas and oranges. That makes it VERY difficult to get potassium. I exist on that fine line which you encounter occasionally.

I seem to tolerate lime juice well, and lemon juice okay. So every day I squeeze half of one of them in a glass of water, and that fixes the tired-and-dry symptoms I share with you.

People can, not just survive, but flourish on a blood sugar level near ZERO. It's called ketosis. We do not need sugar ....at all. And we need very little starch. But we require meat and fat.

Actually.....a blood sugar of nearly zero can and will kill you if you don't get it up to a normal level quickly! Your brain needs glucose and oxygen in order to function.

neesee

veggienft Rookie
Actually.....a blood sugar of nearly zero can and will kill you if you don't get it up to a normal level quickly! Your brain needs glucose and oxygen in order to function.

neesee

You have a common misconception.

Open Original Shared Link

Low-Carbohydrate Diet

----------------------------------------------------------------

........Ketosis is a normal physiologic state caused by very normal and healthy body functions contrary to the myths, distortions and lies published by the vegetarians and other high-carbohydrate diet supporters. Ketosis allows the body to function efficiently and live off fat when necessary. Ketones are not a poison, which is how most medical and nutritional experts often refer to them. Ketones make the body run more efficiently and provide a backup fuel source for the brain. The three substances known as ketone bodies are acetoacetic acid, beta-hydroxybutyric acid and acetone. Some unknowledgeable people have an absolute fit when they are told that ketosis produces acetones in the blood, since acetone is a common household solvent. These ketone bodies are the preferred fuel of the heart, the outer part of the kidneys and can be used by most areas of the brain.

........Many people falsely believe they cannot or are not losing weight because the ketones drop to a lower level. The Ketostiks, used to measure the ketones in the urine, are no longer showing the purple color on the test strip. However, weight loss continues with or without the ketones being present. The spillage of excess ketones in the urine disappears on the low-carbohydrate diet after the body becomes accustomed to using dietary fats for energy instead of glucose. This usually occurs within a few weeks on the diet. People who normally eat high-carbohydrate meals have been fueling their bodies from the glucose and fructose obtained from the carbohydrates. Their cells have had very little experience burning fatty acids for energy. The body uses the glucose first to prevent high levels of glucose in the blood.

The body experiences a new condition when a person goes on the low-carbohydrate diet. The more commonly used glucose fuel is no longer available. The body reacts by dropping the pancreas' production of insulin and increasing the hormone glucagon. The glucagon draws stored fat reserves in the form of triglycerides for use by the cells as the new energy source. However, the cells are slow to react to this new fuel source, and the individual feels weakness or a lack of energy. The resistance to burn fatty acids for energy can vary greatly between individuals. Some people feel this weakness, but others pick right up and take off with the feeling of greater energy than before.

The liver begins to catabolize (break down) the extra fatty acids which are not being utilized by the cells. However, the liver does not have the enzyme necessary for complete catabolism of the fatty acids. This causes the discharge of the ketone molecules into the blood. The strange taste in the mouth and mild breath odor shows the presence of these ketones. Other body cells can utilize the ketones for energy. The brain can also utilize ketones contrary to the myth that the brain must be powered by glucose only; although, some areas of the brain still require glucose, which the body makes from amino acids or fats.

The body begins to utilize the fatty acids for energy more efficiently after a few weeks and the ketone level drops to normal. This does not mean one is not losing weight. It means the body is becoming a more efficient fat burner.

The scientific and practical amount of carbohydrate needed in the diet is ZERO, NONE. Carbohydrate is not a requirement for any body function. In fact, it appears that the lower the carbohydrate level in the diet the better the long-term health. Age-related degenerative diseases are caused by high-levels of carbohydrates in the diet. One can be on a very low or zero-carbohydrate diet indefinitely as has been shown by the study of many primitive societies.....

----------------------------------------------------------------

The rest of the article is excellent. A low- or no-carbohydrate diet is not just ........not harmful, it guards against the very autoimmune diseases and cancers which are the subjects of this discussion board.

Open Original Shared Link

One of the main benefits of exercise is that it forces local muscle and fat tissues into ketosis. Exercise burns energy faster than blood sugar can supply it, so muscles consume adjacent stored fat instead. In my opinion, this is why the people, like the title poster, who react with discomfort to low blood sugar levels, usually avoid strenuous exercise. However, the discomfort doesn't relieve people of the necessity to exercise.

Humans have only consumed agrarian carbohydrates in the last 10,000 years of our evolution. Survival of the fittest dictates that major evolutionary changes can only occur when environmental hardships reduce a species down to a breeding pair. A genetic mutation allows that pair to propagate the species with changed attributes. Agrarian grains expand human populations, meaning that humans have no ability to genetically adapt to grains and sugars.

We have developed epigenitic abilities to adapt, but as shown in this forum, epigenetic adaptations are fleeting. We are predators with only temporary ability to survive on grains and sugars.

Woolygimp Contributor

Uhh, I'm sure I get tons of potassium as I eat tons of spinach, broccoli, meat, fruit, and lettuce as pretty much my entire diet consists of that stuff.

Doesn't seem to help, but something in gatorade is definitely doing the trick. The only thing I can think of is the combination of sugar/salt, because there's no way I'm not getting enough potassium.

Woolygimp Contributor
Uhh, I'm sure I get tons of potassium as I eat tons of spinach, broccoli, meat, fruit, and lettuce as pretty much my entire diet consists of that stuff.

Doesn't seem to help, but something in gatorade is definitely doing the trick. The only thing I can think of is the combination of sugar/salt, because there's no way I'm not getting enough potassium.

Another thing I'd like to add is that orange juice doesn't seem to do the trick either. Supposedly it's crammed with potassium and sugars, but I think that it's maybe missing the salt?

Archived