This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Inability To Properly Absorb Water?

Woolygimp

RiceGuy Collaborator
Uhh, I'm sure I get tons of potassium as I eat tons of spinach, broccoli, meat, fruit, and lettuce as pretty much my entire diet consists of that stuff.

Doesn't seem to help, but something in gatorade is definitely doing the trick. The only thing I can think of is the combination of sugar/salt, because there's no way I'm not getting enough potassium.

I thought the same about many nutrients, but malabsorption is one of the first effects of Celiac. Again, I'll be trying the blend of stuff I mentioned, and post the results. If it works, then it's not sugar.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

YoloGx Rookie

I think the liquid sea minerals I suggested have plenty of salt in them as well as electrolytes, which is what I think is needed in the water at least for part of the day (I do it twice in a glass of water with my other supplements, but it could be squirted into your water bottles for the day)--i.e., concentrace trace mineral drops.

Bea

Rya Newbie
Some of the worst symptoms I have that are related to Celiac are those suggesting minor dehydration. Drinking water does absolutely nothing to alleviate these symptoms, but I've noticed that if I drink Gatorade I feel quite a bit of improvement. Dry skin disappears, i start getting tons of saliva in my mouth, eyes water again, and I don't feel as anxious. Boost of energy as well.

I notice the same improvement, to a lesser extent, when drinking sugar drinks such as fruit juice, orange juice, or soda. Water doesn't seem to help at all - I can drink a ton and still feel thirsty, still feel dehydrated.

Gatorade and sugar drinks definitely help me, and make me feel rehydrated but they aren't exactly healthy as a primary beverage. I'm guessing that maybe my intestines are damaged and have a difficult time absorbing water, and that the glucose/sodium in the drinks aid in the absorption of liquids? I'd also like to note that I eat a healthy amount of salt.

I don't know, but I'm lost. Found a few articles relating to inability of celiacs to properly absorb enough water, but nothing as to how to alleviate it or resolve symptoms.

Water absorption takes place in your colon, which is extremely rarely, if ever, damaged in Celiac disease, as far as I know...

However, if you have malabsoprtion problems, this is another story. The things you're malabsorbing actually create an osmotic environment and pull water out of your body to try to balance out what is in the intestine. Try Pedialyte instead of Gatorade, less sugar, same effect.

Rya Newbie
I thought the same about many nutrients, but malabsorption is one of the first effects of Celiac. Again, I'll be trying the blend of stuff I mentioned, and post the results. If it works, then it's not sugar.

Glucose promotes sodium and electrolyte absorption. Why, I'm not sure, gotta read up.

Rya Newbie
You have a common misconception.

Open Original Shared Link

Low-Carbohydrate Diet

----------------------------------------------------------------

........Ketosis is a normal physiologic state caused by very normal and healthy body functions contrary to the myths, distortions and lies published by the vegetarians and other high-carbohydrate diet supporters. Ketosis allows the body to function efficiently and live off fat when necessary. Ketones are not a poison, which is how most medical and nutritional experts often refer to them. Ketones make the body run more efficiently and provide a backup fuel source for the brain. The three substances known as ketone bodies are acetoacetic acid, beta-hydroxybutyric acid and acetone. Some unknowledgeable people have an absolute fit when they are told that ketosis produces acetones in the blood, since acetone is a common household solvent. These ketone bodies are the preferred fuel of the heart, the outer part of the kidneys and can be used by most areas of the brain.

........Many people falsely believe they cannot or are not losing weight because the ketones drop to a lower level. The Ketostiks, used to measure the ketones in the urine, are no longer showing the purple color on the test strip. However, weight loss continues with or without the ketones being present. The spillage of excess ketones in the urine disappears on the low-carbohydrate diet after the body becomes accustomed to using dietary fats for energy instead of glucose. This usually occurs within a few weeks on the diet. People who normally eat high-carbohydrate meals have been fueling their bodies from the glucose and fructose obtained from the carbohydrates. Their cells have had very little experience burning fatty acids for energy. The body uses the glucose first to prevent high levels of glucose in the blood.

The body experiences a new condition when a person goes on the low-carbohydrate diet. The more commonly used glucose fuel is no longer available. The body reacts by dropping the pancreas' production of insulin and increasing the hormone glucagon. The glucagon draws stored fat reserves in the form of triglycerides for use by the cells as the new energy source. However, the cells are slow to react to this new fuel source, and the individual feels weakness or a lack of energy. The resistance to burn fatty acids for energy can vary greatly between individuals. Some people feel this weakness, but others pick right up and take off with the feeling of greater energy than before.

The liver begins to catabolize (break down) the extra fatty acids which are not being utilized by the cells. However, the liver does not have the enzyme necessary for complete catabolism of the fatty acids. This causes the discharge of the ketone molecules into the blood. The strange taste in the mouth and mild breath odor shows the presence of these ketones. Other body cells can utilize the ketones for energy. The brain can also utilize ketones contrary to the myth that the brain must be powered by glucose only; although, some areas of the brain still require glucose, which the body makes from amino acids or fats.

The body begins to utilize the fatty acids for energy more efficiently after a few weeks and the ketone level drops to normal. This does not mean one is not losing weight. It means the body is becoming a more efficient fat burner.

The scientific and practical amount of carbohydrate needed in the diet is ZERO, NONE. Carbohydrate is not a requirement for any body function. In fact, it appears that the lower the carbohydrate level in the diet the better the long-term health. Age-related degenerative diseases are caused by high-levels of carbohydrates in the diet. One can be on a very low or zero-carbohydrate diet indefinitely as has been shown by the study of many primitive societies.....

----------------------------------------------------------------

The rest of the article is excellent. A low- or no-carbohydrate diet is not just ........not harmful, it guards against the very autoimmune diseases and cancers which are the subjects of this discussion board.

Open Original Shared Link

One of the main benefits of exercise is that it forces local muscle and fat tissues into ketosis. Exercise burns energy faster than blood sugar can supply it, so muscles consume adjacent stored fat instead. In my opinion, this is why the people, like the title poster, who react with discomfort to low blood sugar levels, usually avoid strenuous exercise. However, the discomfort doesn't relieve people of the necessity to exercise.

Humans have only consumed agrarian carbohydrates in the last 10,000 years of our evolution. Survival of the fittest dictates that major evolutionary changes can only occur when environmental hardships reduce a species down to a breeding pair. A genetic mutation allows that pair to propagate the species with changed attributes. Agrarian grains expand human populations, meaning that humans have no ability to genetically adapt to grains and sugars.

We have developed epigenitic abilities to adapt, but as shown in this forum, epigenetic adaptations are fleeting. We are predators with only temporary ability to survive on grains and sugars.

I think your articles are scientific enough to be scary, but not scientific enough to be right.

Ketosis is synonymous with starvation. I suggest you research Refeeding Syndrome as well as Diabetic Ketoacidosis. Ketones are toxic to your system. I have seen too many people in comas from this very molecule.

cyberprof Enthusiast
Water absorption takes place in your colon, which is extremely rarely, if ever, damaged in Celiac disease, as far as I know...

However, if you have malabsoprtion problems, this is another story. The things you're malabsorbing actually create an osmotic environment and pull water out of your body to try to balance out what is in the intestine. Try Pedialyte instead of Gatorade, less sugar, same effect.

Pedialyte is a great idea... or gatorade mixed half-n-half with water.

~Laura

gabby Enthusiast

Here's my personal remedy for dehydration and difficulty absorbing water: two or three big juicy slices of freshly sliced sweet watermelon. Filled with potassium and other good vitamins and minerals. Plus it is loaded with water. And fiber. And it tastes great. You'll notice how your body seems to just absorb the goodness from the moment you swallow down your first cold bite. The lucky thing is that they are in season right now!!!

Hope this helps!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rya Newbie
Here's my personal remedy for dehydration and difficulty absorbing water: two or three big juicy slices of freshly sliced sweet watermelon. Filled with potassium and other good vitamins and minerals. Plus it is loaded with water. And fiber. And it tastes great. You'll notice how your body seems to just absorb the goodness from the moment you swallow down your first cold bite. The lucky thing is that they are in season right now!!!

Hope this helps!

That's really smart, all the same elements - glucose, potassium, sodium, plus fiber and it's real food. Wow. Great idea.

GlutenWrangler Contributor

Water absorption takes place throughout the GI tract, with over 90% of absorption taking place in the small intestine. The colon absorbes excess water from its contents to create "healthy" stool.

veggienft Rookie
I think your articles are scientific enough to be scary, but not scientific enough to be right.

Ketosis is synonymous with starvation. I suggest you research Refeeding Syndrome as well as Diabetic Ketoacidosis. Ketones are toxic to your system. I have seen too many people in comas from this very molecule.

According to the American Diabetes Association medium and high blood and urine ketone concentrations are harmful. That condition usually comes from diabetic ketoacidosis, not fat-ingestion localized ketosis.

We all enter localized LOW-LEVEL ketosis when we sleep at night and when we exercise. It's a normal condition.

Low-level ketosis is a symptom of starvation. ......It is not starvation.

Refeeding Syndrome simply describes sickness and death from feeding a starving person carbohydrates. Feeding a starving person meat and fat does not cause sickness or death. He/she has been burning fat while starving.

.......And you're arguing that feeding people fat instead of carbohydrates is dangerous?

When the body doesn't ingest fats or carbs it consumes body fat. You're claiming that normal fat-conversion ketosis is deadly. That's a really good thing, because starving people don't have to go through a long painful death. When their blood sugar runs out, they just die.

........Oh wait.

It's a good thing the millions of people who've benefitted from the Atkins ketosis diet don't know about this. They're supposed to be dead.

And yes, I do know that a few Atkins dieters had problems with ketones ....diabetic ketoacidosis. Those were people who were unaware they were diabetic. Their diabetes was already overloading them with high ketone levels. The Atkins diet was not the cause.

If they'd been on a low-carb diet to begin with, many of them wouldn't have been diabetic. And before you slam me again ......Yes, I know I'm talking about type 1 diabetes. If this board has taught anything, it's taught us that wheat ingestion is a contributor to type 1 diabetes.

Rya Newbie
According to the American Diabetes Association medium and high blood and urine ketone concentrations are harmful. That condition usually comes from diabetic ketoacidosis, not fat-ingestion localized ketosis.

We all enter localized LOW-LEVEL ketosis when we sleep at night and when we exercise. It's a normal condition.

Low-level ketosis is a symptom of starvation. ......It is not starvation.

Refeeding Syndrome simply describes sickness and death from feeding a starving person carbohydrates. Feeding a starving person meat and fat does not cause sickness or death. He/she has been burning fat while starving.

.......And you're arguing that feeding people fat instead of carbohydrates is dangerous?

When the body doesn't ingest fats or carbs it consumes body fat. You're claiming that normal fat-conversion ketosis is deadly. That's a really good thing, because starving people don't have to go through a long painful death. When their blood sugar runs out, they just die.

........Oh wait.

It's a good thing the millions of people who've benefitted from the Atkins ketosis diet don't know about this. They're supposed to be dead.

And yes, I do know that a few Atkins dieters had problems with ketones ....diabetic ketoacidosis. Those were people who were unaware they were diabetic. Their diabetes was already overloading them with high ketone levels. The Atkins diet was not the cause.

If they'd been on a low-carb diet to begin with, many of them wouldn't have been diabetic. And before you slam me again ......Yes, I know I'm talking about type 1 diabetes. If this board has taught anything, it's taught us that wheat ingestion is a contributor to type 1 diabetes.

I didn't mean to "slam" you. Obviously I hit a nerve with you, as you did me.

Rya Newbie
Water absorption takes place throughout the GI tract, with over 90% of absorption taking place in the small intestine. The colon absorbes excess water from its contents to create "healthy" stool.

You're right, I must've been thinking about the excess. :o

Thanks! :P

RiceGuy Collaborator

Hope this helps!

Sure sounds tasty!

Too bad I react to watermelon :( Then again, I haven't tried since going gluten-free, so who knows.

veggienft Rookie
Ketosis is synonymous with starvation.

......Ketones are toxic to your system. I have seen too many people in comas from this very molecule.

P.S. The people you claimed to have seen in ICU's in comas from ketosis are not in that condition, as you claimed, from starving their brains of sugar. They are there from too-high ketone levels, usually caused by diabetic ketoacidosis.

Diet-induced ketosis does not cause that. Those people all have plenty of blood sugar to feed their brains.

• 1 month later...
RiceGuy Collaborator

Just an update here...

I've added potassium to my daily supplementation, and it seems to help with some of the things discussed here, including thirst. One thing about potassium supplements I've noticed, is that many don't seem to have much compared to the recommended daily intake. Perhaps it's easy to overdose on it or something.

Jestgar Rising Star

I switched to sea salt to increase my mineral intake, also based on a lot of things discussed here. Seems to help with leg cramps.

• 2 months later...
Sandi C Newbie
Some of the worst symptoms I have that are related to Celiac are those suggesting minor dehydration. Drinking water does absolutely nothing to alleviate these symptoms, but I've noticed that if I drink Gatorade I feel quite a bit of improvement. Dry skin disappears, i start getting tons of saliva in my mouth, eyes water again, and I don't feel as anxious. Boost of energy as well.

I notice the same improvement, to a lesser extent, when drinking sugar drinks such as fruit juice, orange juice, or soda. Water doesn't seem to help at all - I can drink a ton and still feel thirsty, still feel dehydrated.

Gatorade and sugar drinks definitely help me, and make me feel rehydrated but they aren't exactly healthy as a primary beverage. I'm guessing that maybe my intestines are damaged and have a difficult time absorbing water, and that the glucose/sodium in the drinks aid in the absorption of liquids? I'd also like to note that I eat a healthy amount of salt.

I don't know, but I'm lost. Found a few articles relating to inability of celiacs to properly absorb enough water, but nothing as to how to alleviate it or resolve symptoms.

I have been struggling mightily with these symptoms. I have recently added potassium tablets also and I feel much better!

Sandi

one more mile Contributor

About 20 years ago I landed in the hospital with dehydration. It was summer and I was hallucinating. I was also 3 weeks pregnant at the time and did not know it. The Doctor told me to only drink water if there was something in it, 10% fruit juice or a little salt. Otherwise it would just pass though me, possiably pulling more water with it when it left. My body needed something to grab on to.

I find propel works for me when I work out, water does not cut it.

One more mile

Archived