This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Problems With Whole Grain Brown Rice Cereal

mela14

mela14 Enthusiast

After getting "ill" from lots of different hot cereals I decided to try Organic Hot Brown Rice Cereal. Well, right after I had it this morning for breakfast I got really bloated and nauseous. Not this sick feeling like when I eat buckwheat or a gluten containing cereal but just really bloated, uncomfortable and nauseous.

Has anyone else had this? Could it be that the brown rice just has too much fiber for me? I don't have a problem when I eat small quantities of white rice with dinner. I had a banana with it but when I have bananas alone....No problem!

Thanks for your input,

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mela14 Enthusiast

OK.........I did some investigating. The hot brown rice cereal was made by the same manufacturer that I had a reaction to with Buckwheat cereal. I also tested positive for Buckwheat intolerance with the York lab test. Could there be some cross contamination with buckwheat in the same plant that mills the brown rice? That's the only thing that I can think of! The symptoms have gotten worse all day and it feels like a total gut intolerance. I forced myself to eat some chicken breast that I grilled in spite of my gut feeling raw and sick. Another day wasted at home because of these damn allergies!

I needed to vent. Thanks,

cdford Contributor

Yes, cross-contamination could be a problem. It could also be that your system is not used to the whole grains in brown rices. Only you know. I'd try two things.

One, purchase hot cereals from a gluten-free source like Bob's Red Mill or Gluten Free Mall.

Next, try eating it just a little at a time for a couple of weeks and let your system get used to the fiber. If you have not been gluten-free long or have recently had an accidently ingestion, it may be that your system is just "tender" and needs a little time. I run into that periodically.

mela14 Enthusiast

Thanks Donna,

The hot brown rice cereal was Bob's Red Mill. Coincidentally I reacted terribly to to his gluten-free hot cereal before I knew that I had a Buckwheat intolerance. I was sooooooooo sick from it...immeditately.

yesteday, the reaction started within a half hour. So either I can't tolerate brown rice or it was cross contaminated with buckwheat.

When I was working with my dietician we had me remove brown rice from my dinner as I was getting bloated afterwards. She said it had to much fiber for me and to stick with white rice. I did that about a month ago and have been ok when I have it with dinner.

I didn't think that the little bit of hot cereal would be as bad as the regular especially since I didn't eat that much of it. She also said that the whole grain could be more "irritating" than the white as it is the rice in it's entirity..........

My gut was sore and swollen ALL day and I felt so "ill".......... that's why I thought it was cross-contamination. It wasn't just bloating.............

anyway, I am still a little sore in the stomach and gut this morning but the swelling has subsided alsmost completely.

i am so afraid to eat..........I am nibbling on a few raisins (no preservatives added) and a cup of camomille.

thanks for your input,

cdford Contributor

You may need to go back to the "keep it simple" diet for a little while and let your system settle down. Don't stay on the white rice for too long, though. It is what I like to call a "negative nutrition" food. There is very little nutrition to it, what little nutrition is has is added back instead of natural, and it can be bad for you over time.

Ease back into high fiber foods that you know you can eat safely. Don't try to overwhelm your system with them. You may want to do it even just a few bites at a time until your system handles them okay.

Here's hoping you feel better soon!

mela14 Enthusiast

Hi Donna,

thanks...and I am trying so hard to keep it simple. My gut feels better but not good yet. I just always feel soreness and inflamation. Sometimes I feel it really down low..in the bowel area....like it is irritated. I know this will take a while to heal but I pray that one day my gut will feel OK. It's been soooooooooo bad for sooooooo long.

thanks for your help. I'll try the higher fiber foods a little at a time as you suggested.

cdford Contributor

It will. Just hang in there.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived