This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Borborygmi

Katsby

Katsby Apprentice

The one way I always know I've been glutened is when the sound of small animals trying to claw their way out of my gut start. Seriously it is really loud. It's always accompanied with a lot of pain too besides the ever annoying gas, bloating, and D. I am pretty good about not ingesting accidental gluten. I check all my labels, but recently I was accidentally glutened by cc and it's the first time since the beginning (about 3 months ago) I've been glutened.

The problem is that this noise is really hard to deal with on top of everything else. Other people can hear it. People ask me if I'm hungry. How do you guys deal with this if you do get glutened? Do you just wait it out? is there something you take for it? I haven't found a gas pill that will really take it away. It usually lasts a few days. I tried a probiotic yesterday thinking maybe somehow it would help, but no it didn't.

I hope I don't get glutened again. I am pretty careful. I guess I am just stuck with this for the next few days :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I can definately identify with this :D Even as a child I realized that when I ate breakfast before school my tummy would be louder not quieter. By adulthood the constant rumblings were always present and I usually carried a coat or at least a big purse to put on my lap if I was going somewhere quiet. The only thing that stopped the noise was being gluten-free and when glutened like you I deal with the rumbles again for a couple of days. I haven't found anything that will stop them but wanted to let you know your not alone in this. Hopefully someone else will come on with some more helpful advice.

jerseyangel Proficient

I have this problem too. Like Ravenwood, when I was a child I would eat breakfast (usually cereal) and my stomach would growl in school by mid morning. It was embarassing and I remember trying to tighten up my abdominal muscles in order to try and stop it.

Now, when I get glutened (by CC), I get the rumbling, along with cramping and D.

I don't know how to stop them, only prevent them by being completely gluten-free.

Juliebove Rising Star

I get this from eggs. Took me a very long time to make the connection. Mostly it would be when I was on vacation and eating differently than at home. Often I would have a muffin or donut because they were free. I thought it was the sugar in them or something that was making me feel so bad.

Then when my daughter was diagnosed with food allergies, I stopped eating eggs. The problem went away. Then I got some egg salad one day and it started up again, followed by my being violently ill.

I can remember it happening at work, but I can't remember what I ate on those days. Could have been boiled eggs or egg noodles or something else with eggs in it.

I just went to the allergist and she said what I have is not an allergy but I clearly can't eat eggs, dairy or almonds without a problem.

gfmolly Contributor
The one way I always know I've been glutened is when the sound of small animals trying to claw their way out of my gut start. Seriously it is really loud. It's always accompanied with a lot of pain too besides the ever annoying gas, bloating, and D. I am pretty good about not ingesting accidental gluten. I check all my labels, but recently I was accidentally glutened by cc and it's the first time since the beginning (about 3 months ago) I've been glutened.

The problem is that this noise is really hard to deal with on top of everything else. Other people can hear it. People ask me if I'm hungry. How do you guys deal with this if you do get glutened? Do you just wait it out? is there something you take for it? I haven't found a gas pill that will really take it away. It usually lasts a few days. I tried a probiotic yesterday thinking maybe somehow it would help, but no it didn't.

I hope I don't get glutened again. I am pretty careful. I guess I am just stuck with this for the next few days :(

Again more sympathy.....I have the same issue. It is so much better now that I have been gluten free for over a year, but that is my telltale sign that I have been glutened. It sometimes happens when I consumer dairy as well. I do take a probiotic daily as a way to maintain balance in my gut. That seems to help.

Molly

ohsotired Enthusiast

Mine does it too, on a regular basis (I'm not gluten free - yet). My family members say things like "the aliens are talking again" or "are you hungry already?" (just depends on who it is).

The most horrifying incident was when I was in a staff meeting, and my boss finished talking about one subject, and was in that dead silence before beginning the next subject........"grblglgrlrohl" (or something like that). Thankfully it was right before lunch and I was able to play it off - but it wasn't because I was hungry!

I feel for ya too!

Katsby Apprentice
Mine does it too, on a regular basis (I'm not gluten free - yet). My family members say things like "the aliens are talking again" or "are you hungry already?" (just depends on who it is).

The most horrifying incident was when I was in a staff meeting, and my boss finished talking about one subject, and was in that dead silence before beginning the next subject........"grblglgrlrohl" (or something like that). Thankfully it was right before lunch and I was able to play it off - but it wasn't because I was hungry!

I feel for ya too!

It always happens at the worst time doesn't it?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ohsotired Enthusiast

It really does!

I just remembered another horrifying incident, but this one is really funny, looking back. I was mortified at the time.

My daughter was probably 3 or so, and we were at a restaurant........she hears the grumblies and mistakes it for something else. At the top of her lungs "Oh my gosh mommy did you just FART?!" :lol:

Calicoe Rookie

Yeah, I get these too. I am really dreading having to sit in a very quiet place with someone, or in class.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
Yeah, I get these too. I am really dreading having to sit in a very quiet place with someone, or in class.

I get this, but not from gluten. I get it when I eat beans. We've established that beans are not allowed on work nights..............

Calicoe Rookie

That must explain my own recent grumblings this week.

Archived