28 replies to this topic

#1 MinnieM

MinnieM

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 09:41 AM

I was diagnosed last week and have a weight problem so need to stay at 1200 calories (low carb). Does anyone have a food plan for that many calories they can share with me for a working outside the home person? I put my food plan in Sparkpeople.com and I'm not eating enough nutritionally although am in the right calorie range. No bread, cake, cookies needed. I'm fine with eating every 3 hrs too. Thanks for your help!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 munchkinette

munchkinette

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 11:09 AM

I'm on a plan of about 1600 right now. One thing that I do is I eat big bowls of cooked vegies. They really fill me up. Also, chicken and tuna are about half the calories of beef and salmon. That helps.

Basically, pad every meal with a big bowl of cooked vegies, like stir-fry, and you'll feel full. (Too much raw stuff gives me gas.)

Can you eat fruit? Some "low carb" plans count it as carbs like bread, some don't.
Gluten free since Feb 2006, Dairy and Soy free since 2009

Anemic off and on since 2003
Negative tTG Ab, IgA, Gliadin Ab IgA, wheat allergy (IgE) blood tests (Feb 2006)
Positive wheat allergy skin test(Apr 2006)and dietary response (Feb 2006)
Celiac grandmother (Dx in 1940s, "grew out of it")

Training for my first triathlon to support the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America.

~Amy

#3 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 06:07 PM

Why 1200? That's really low, even if you're not exercising much, and if you are, that
s way too low--for more than 3-5 days. 1500-1600 if you're somewhat active is better and more realistic. Too long at 1200 and there may be a binging issue--I speak from experience :rolleyes:

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

#4 purple

purple

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:51 AM

I used to count calories years ago. I remember that watermelon and green beans were very low. I ate them all the time.
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

#5 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:08 AM

Years ago I was in TOPS ( Take off pounds sensibly) and was on 1200 Calories a day for more than a year before going to 1500.
I need to do it again too! Reading calorie books was really helpful. In those days I didn't have a cholesterol problem so I ate a lot of Chicken liver dinners. The trick for me was finding low calorie filling foods. Ate tons of spinach too. If I had a few calories left, a Hersheys kiss was 17 calories and I can remember cutting them in half!

good luck
ken

I was diagnosed last week and have a weight problem so need to stay at 1200 calories (low carb). Does anyone have a food plan for that many calories they can share with me for a working outside the home person? I put my food plan in Sparkpeople.com and I'm not eating enough nutritionally although am in the right calorie range. No bread, cake, cookies needed. I'm fine with eating every 3 hrs too. Thanks for your help!

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 Ann1231

Ann1231

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 04:44 PM

Hi,

I don't have a specific plan but I can tell you that for a year or so, I saw a dietician who put me on a 1200 calorie and I felt fantastic. She stressed vegetables, fruits and lean proteins. She was, however, realistic that somedays you don't want to see a leaf of lettuce or another chicken breast and all you want is chocolate. She supported that as long as the overall diet was based on good nutrition. I ate a LOT of salads, seafood, stir-fries, etc. and lost the weight easily. I need to get back on that. I was religious about keeping a food diary and I think that was key to the success. It's funny I read this post today, I had started figuring in my head all day today what I was eating! this was a good nudge to get me going again.

OH! the thing that made calorie counting VERY easy was I counted points, not calories.

for instance:
75 calories = 1 pt.
150 calories = 2 pt.
etc.

I was allowed 16 points per day which was 1200 calories.

good luck and thanks for the nudge I needed to get back on this
hypothyroid
hypoglycemic (diagnosed 1997 but symptomatic since grade school)
fibromyalgia
rheumatoid arthritis (diagnosed January 2005)
peanut allergy

restarting gluten-free January 20, 2013

elevated liver enzymes + symptoms indicated celiac January 31, 2013. Dr. didn't want to run further tests due to other health complications

#7 MinnieM

MinnieM

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 08:37 AM

Thanks for those who have been encouraging that this can be done! I'm startled: Don't you think it's important to know the person's height etc before a person decides the "best" amount of calories to eat a day?

Since I'm' not sure at this point what has gluten and what doesn't, I had to stay with "safe" items so here's what I'm doing. Feel free to add suggestions but again I want to stay with the 1200 calories:

breakfast: boiled egg white and fruit
snack: boiled egg white and fruit
Lunch: half can tuna with fresh veggies
snack: non-fat cottage cheese and fruit, yogurt and cottage cheese or almonds and a yogurt or fruit (add flax seed)
Dinner: a soup made of lentils or beans and diced tomatoes, spinach, broccali, carrots
snack: repeat above

I'm best with a routine (which helps me not binge) and in time when I'm more familiar with things I can eat, I plan to have one day a week as a "treat day" and not count the calories. I use a free internet site to log my food and count my calories, which does help so much to begin with!

#8 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 10:10 AM

I will only point out that not every Celiac is skinny before diagnosis. Many members of this board lost weight after going gluten-free, so I wouldn't be surprised if the same is true for you.

I hope you achieve your goal soon!
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#9 Rya

Rya

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 10:39 PM

Thanks for those who have been encouraging that this can be done! I'm startled: Don't you think it's important to know the person's height etc before a person decides the "best" amount of calories to eat a day?

Since I'm' not sure at this point what has gluten and what doesn't, I had to stay with "safe" items so here's what I'm doing. Feel free to add suggestions but again I want to stay with the 1200 calories:

breakfast: boiled egg white and fruit
snack: boiled egg white and fruit
Lunch: half can tuna with fresh veggies
snack: non-fat cottage cheese and fruit, yogurt and cottage cheese or almonds and a yogurt or fruit (add flax seed)
Dinner: a soup made of lentils or beans and diced tomatoes, spinach, broccali, carrots
snack: repeat above

I'm best with a routine (which helps me not binge) and in time when I'm more familiar with things I can eat, I plan to have one day a week as a "treat day" and not count the calories. I use a free internet site to log my food and count my calories, which does help so much to begin with!

I completely agree that you should know a person's height and weight before you decide how many calories they need. Age is a factor also. However, 1200 is about as low as anyone should go - any lower and it becomes difficult to get the nutrients you need.

Just doing a quick add up in my head, I would guess the above meal plan is closer to 800 calories. Of course this varies with portion sizes.

Here is something I used at a weight loss clinic. The pattern for each meal is 2 carbs (160 cals), 1 protein (50 cals) and 1 fat (45 cals) for about five small meals each day totaling about 260 calories each. You can combine two small meals to make a big one if you like.

A carb would be: milk, yogurt (dannon and yoplait are gluten free), cottage cheese, 2 corn tortillas, 1/2 cup of rice pasta (DeBoles is one I use), 1 small potato, 1/2 cup mashed potatoes, 1 medium piece of fruit

A protein would be: 1 egg cooked any way, 1 oz of any meat/fish, 2 teaspoons of nut butter, 1/3 cup of light cheese, 1/2 cup of any legume

A fat would be: 1 teaspoon of oil, 1 tablespoon of margarine, 1 tablespoon of light mayo or light salad dressing, 1 tablespoon of avocado, about 8-10 nuts

Mix and match the foods as you choose to make your meals, the list isn't all inclusive either, of course.

Kudos for being so goal-oriented! B)
Celiac Disease 2007
Spinal Fusion 2006
Grave's Disease 2000

There is a way around every obstacle.

#10 Rya

Rya

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 10:41 PM

And I forgot, veggies are pretty much considered a free food if they have no fat added. Technically they aren't, but they are so nutritious, filling, and fibrous that they are the last thing that will sabotage your diet. Eat as many as you want!
Celiac Disease 2007
Spinal Fusion 2006
Grave's Disease 2000

#11 MinnieM

MinnieM

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 06:57 AM

Rya, your comments are extremely helpful as we approach the weekend and I make a food plan for next week!! Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!1

#12 Rya

Rya

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 07:22 PM

Rya, your comments are extremely helpful as we approach the weekend and I make a food plan for next week!! Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!1

:D Very happy to hear it helped!
Celiac Disease 2007
Spinal Fusion 2006
Grave's Disease 2000

#13 munchkinette

munchkinette

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 05:50 AM

Hi,

I don't have a specific plan but I can tell you that for a year or so, I saw a dietician who put me on a 1200 calorie and I felt fantastic. She stressed vegetables, fruits and lean proteins. She was, however, realistic that somedays you don't want to see a leaf of lettuce or another chicken breast and all you want is chocolate.

People think they can't have chocolate on a diet, but that's not the case. I've been on a diet for the last six weeks, and I've lost five lbs, and I still eat chocolate. What makes a difference is the type of chocolate and the amount. If I get the Ghirardelli dark chocolate chips, they are 5 calories each. (They are larger chips.) I can have as many or as few as I want depending on my calorie budget for the day.

The reason why dark chocolate is key is that I actually get chocolate, and satisfy my chocolate craving before I get hooked on the sugar. When I eat a whole bag of M&Ms I don't necessarily satisfy the chocolate craving, but the sugar makes me crave more sugar and more junk. 50 calories worth of dark (about 70%) chocolate is perfect for cravings.

Negative tTG Ab, IgA, Gliadin Ab IgA, wheat allergy (IgE) blood tests (Feb 2006)

Training for my first triathlon to support the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America.

~Amy

#14 gfp

gfp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 06:25 AM

People think they can't have chocolate on a diet, but that's not the case. I've been on a diet for the last six weeks, and I've lost five lbs, and I still eat chocolate. What makes a difference is the type of chocolate and the amount. If I get the Ghirardelli dark chocolate chips, they are 5 calories each. (They are larger chips.) I can have as many or as few as I want depending on my calorie budget for the day.

The reason why dark chocolate is key is that I actually get chocolate, and satisfy my chocolate craving before I get hooked on the sugar. When I eat a whole bag of M&Ms I don't necessarily satisfy the chocolate craving, but the sugar makes me crave more sugar and more junk. 50 calories worth of dark (about 70%) chocolate is perfect for cravings.

If all you do is count calories then you can eat anything you want...

The problem is it doesn't make it healthy. If you are counting calories then every empty calorie is a waste.
The BBC ran an article on the olympic swimmer who eats 11,000 calories of absolute crap everyday... his diet is junk... he doesn't make a single concession to healthy foods... but he's burning 11,000 a day so he can eat crap and still have enough minerals and elements to actuallly be healthy. He also has a full time coach and medical testing ....

1200 is very low which doesn't mean its not the correct amount for MinnieM but it is dangerously low in terms of nutrition unless its done carefully. It's the opposite of the swimmer ...

For a celiac who has adsorption problems this is even more critical.

Cravings are usually a sign your diet is missing something...

As others have said 1200 is low.... very low... and pushing the limits unless you make sure everything is balanced and nutrient packed.
Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

#15 munchkinette

munchkinette

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 10:47 AM

You're totally right on that point. I'm just saying that chocolate isn't as bad as everyone seems to think, because people equate it with candy/sugar/junk, and that a lot of the time portion control is a big issue in weight-loss diets.

~Amy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: