6 replies to this topic

#1 samcarter

samcarter

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 11:35 AM

Under what names does wheat hide in cosmetics--specifically shampoos? I have a persistent acne-like rash (but does not respond to acne meds) on my forehead. It' not quite like blisters, but I can scrub little hard particles from it, like sugar. From reading some old threads on this forum it sounds like a rash others have described after they're exposed to wheat through shampoos. I've been going between Burt's Bee's shampoo (using it up, not good for my hair really), Herbal Essences and some Nexxus stuff that I bought a long time ago.

So tonight i'm going to go shopping for some new shampoo and conditioner. What do I look for in the ingredient list? Wheat protein? Wheat germ oil? That kind of thing? Or is there a fancy chemical name that they list it under? :huh:
Negative EMA test 8/08
Gluten free 8/08
Positive response to dietary change
Dairy free 3/09
Citrus free 5/09
Allergies: bananas, apples, green beans, mold.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 02:52 PM

The most common troublesome ingredient in shampoo is wheat germ oil. They also like to use barley extract and oat bran, which can both be a problem.

When I switched to Dove shampoo, conditioner and mousse from my previous (organic brand, which contained wheat germ oil), the terrible itching on my scalp that was driving me mad disappeared.
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#3 Beth in NC

Beth in NC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 03:43 PM

Mine, Tresseme', said "hydrolyzed wheat protein."

#4 Lisa16

Lisa16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 10:26 AM

Hi!

I have also been looking for shampoos. I find the burt's bees can be drying. I recently found another option that so far is pretty good-- Lush solid shampoo bars. Most all of them are safe. Godiva is is very nice, as is "new" and trichomania (coconut shampoo for dry hair). Their jungle conditioner doesn't have gluten either. Shampoos are hard. Another brand you can get in the store is Prell-- I don't see anything on the label that looks bad. My boyfriend uses this one. Some people have also suggested Pantene products. For conditioners, Korres makes a couple that are safe.

More brands suggested here are my Michelle, California baby and Castille soap-- also check out the suggestions from people on the coping with thread (under "losing it over shampoos".

Good luck!

#5 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 11:22 AM

Shampoos and conditioners usually list wheat protein or germ oil.

I have a list somewhere that lists all the names that gluten can hide under,

I use Garnier Smooth and Sleek Shampoo and Conditioner--they are both gluten-free per the company,

I also like California Baby Super Sensitive Shampoo isf you like a more natural shampoo.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#6 samcarter

samcarter

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 03:37 PM

Thanks--I read in another thread that Unilever will always list wheat if it's in their products; I got Suave Clarifying Shampoo and one of their Professionals conditioners.

I looked more closely at the Nexxus shampoo and conditioner--both have wheat FLOUR in them! Ack. The Burt's Bees stuff just smelled nasty after a couple of weeks, so I've tossed it.
Negative EMA test 8/08
Gluten free 8/08
Positive response to dietary change
Dairy free 3/09
Citrus free 5/09
Allergies: bananas, apples, green beans, mold.

#7 beachic

beachic

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 05:43 PM

Go to Kenneths.com for gluten-free, soy free hair products. KENRA people helped to create the line at Kenneths. I ordered a couple shampoos and hair gel. I was thrilled to find this!

I was diagnosed 6 years ago and have learned so much. I am so strict with gluten free, soy-free, corn- free, lactose free diet. But still my gluten level blood test has gone from 21 to 34 from February to now. A nutritionist is coming to my home in a few days.

Due to my problems I have found a couple of gluten free bakeries. Mariposa bakery in Oakland, Ca. - ships Gluten-free pizza with several topping choices.

I hope this helps many!!!!!!!
Colleen

:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: