This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

When Will I Feel Better?

glutenfreegirl

glutenfreegirl Enthusiast

I want to feel great like all of you rightnow I feel worse than when Is tarted this journey I am sorry for complaning I am just so frustrated today I thought I would feel great a few days in and I feel worse..YUCK

headachey, asthma like sore muscles are these symptoms not suppose to GO away after being gluten-free not come on after gluten-free!!

please bare withme I am not mad just frustraed I read other stories and you all sound so free with your gluten-free life feeling better more energized after a long struggle of feeling so awful I just want to be happy and well...

Thanks for listening and most of all understanding

Hugs to you all

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ShayFL Enthusiast

To quote a country song...."Yeah I've been there. That's why I'm here."

***hugs*** right back.

leadmeastray88 Contributor

***hugs*** right back.

No worries girl, you'll feel better. Just give it time :)

I've been gluten-free for a month now and I'm jsut starting to feel better and notice changes. Time heals everything!

(hugs)

GlutenGalAZ Enthusiast
I want to feel great like all of you rightnow I feel worse than when Is tarted this journey I am sorry for complaning I am just so frustrated today I thought I would feel great a few days in and I feel worse..YUCK

headachey, asthma like sore muscles are these symptoms not suppose to GO away after being gluten-free not come on after gluten-free!!

please bare withme I am not mad just frustraed I read other stories and you all sound so free with your gluten-free life feeling better more energized after a long struggle of feeling so awful I just want to be happy and well...

Thanks for listening and most of all understanding

Hugs to you all

Healing is different for each person. I remember my husband telling me when I first started being gluten free (this year) that I was almost worst then before going gluten free (this did improve though after a while). Your body is healing and adjusting to the changes. I had a really sore back for the first month and my muscles just ached so bad. I think it was around 2-3 months that things really started to improve and get better.

My anxity took around 3-4 months to improve where I felt comfortable going places again for a longer period of time. Things will improve just be careful you aren't getting CC or eating something with hidden gluten.

Good Luck :D

Live2BWell Enthusiast

I am experiencing and getting to understand just how delicate going Gluten Free is. It's a few steps back, a couple forward, a few more back, a couple more forward. I have only been Gluten Free for 8 days, and today isn't one of the better of those days, but ..... that's ok, it WILL get better and it WILL even out. I totally feel your frustration, I guess that's where blind faith comes in, eh?

Hang in there :)

Healing is different for each person. I remember my husband telling me when I first started being gluten free (this year) that I was almost worst then before going gluten free (this did improve though after a while). Your body is healing and adjusting to the changes. I had a really sore back for the first month and my muscles just ached so bad. I think it was around 2-3 months that things really started to improve and get better.

My anxity took around 3-4 months to improve where I felt comfortable going places again for a longer period of time. Things will improve just be careful you aren't getting CC or eating something with hidden gluten.

Good Luck :D

Thank you all for such wonderful words sorry for another silly question being new to this and all what does CC mean?

gfpaperdoll Rookie

Hi Glutenfree girl, I just saw on another thread that this is day 2 of gluten-free for you!!!

Congratulations. & good for you if you are only feeling mildly sick.

If you are not on the bathroom floor etc, it is a good day... :)

Not sure if you are wanting any suggestions or just commiserating (not sure that is a word!) thoughts.

For the next few weeks you should consider yourself as someone in a recovery stage. That means that you should be getting at least 8 hours of sleep, taking an afternoon rest if possible. Eating only soft foods, like jello, baked sweet potatoes, some homemade chicken soup (chicken, cabbage, carrots) baked meats, crock pot fall to pieces pork roast, steamed veggies, (no corn) some well cooked rice, boiled or scrambled eggs, fruits if you tolerate them well, if not raw then bake an apple... you get the picture...

& of course the standard dreaded recommendation of no dairy or soy during this time.

wishing you a better tomorrow. & the day after that too. hugs from me ...

CC means cross contamination...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Hi Glutenfree girl, I just saw on another thread that this is day 2 of gluten-free for you!!!

Not sure if you are wanting any suggestions or just commiserating (not sure that is a word!) thoughts.

For the next few weeks you should consider yourself as someone in a recovery stage. That means that you should be getting at least 8 hours of sleep, taking an afternoon rest if possible. Eating only soft foods, like jello, baked sweet potatoes, some homemade chicken soup (chicken, cabbage, carrots) baked meats, crock pot fall to pieces pork roast, steamed veggies, (no corn) some well cooked rice, boiled or scrambled eggs, fruits if you tolerate them well, if not raw then bake an apple... you get the picture...

& of course the standard dreaded recommendation of no dairy or soy during this time.

WOW thank you so much I guess I just figured that once I stopped the gluten i would

just feel better like so many others have been blessed with

you know you just get tired of being sick and tired!!! :)

I will take your advice actualy I am just thinking I am ready for bed now and it is only 830 here but hey I think i will.... thank you again it really means alot

sickchick Community Regular

:lol: I am soooooooooooo far from being better, Doll!

silly silly girl B)

lovelove

rmducote Apprentice
:lol: I am soooooooooooo far from being better, Doll!

silly silly girl B)

lovelove

I just read the thread and can relate to everyone. My hubby has gluten allergies,we have deteremined. He was gluten free for a week or so, then ate something and broke out, Now he is really bad. We think it might be the aclhol in the paint he painted our room with even tho Dutch Boy paints says its gluten free. He is so frusterated and so am I. I look at every ingriediant and tolitry product. I keep wondering if we have misdiagnosed and when this will go away. He looks like he has a disease and is achy.and so itchy! I am hoping our homopathic dr can give him something to detox. I was wondering why the suggestion on soft foods for a week? thanks all and hang in there!

rmducote Apprentice

I am new here. Have I been doing this wrong by just going gluten free? what is the reasoning behind no dairy or soy the first few weeks?

brendygirl Community Regular

I agree with two steps forward, 3 steps back!

I read that it takes 3 YEARS to get a truly good handle on the gluten free diet. I'm on year 2 and I was glutened three times in July alone.

It's been called the most difficult diet. I mean who thinks gluten is in crabmeat or dried fruit?

I ordered a baked potato once and it came covered in crunchy things!! I ordered mozzerella and tomato salad and it came in slices all stacked in a pile, held together with a raw spaghetti noodle!

I mean, it really is exhausting shopping, avoiding cc, trying to get energy without many carbs, figuring out why some gluten free breads or products make you bloat, etc.

curlyfries Contributor
I am new here. Have I been doing this wrong by just going gluten free? what is the reasoning behind no dairy or soy the first few weeks?

Many people with celiac simply can not tolerate dairy or soy at first. Dairy because it is broken down in the intestines by the tips of the villi. With damaged villi, this becomes a problem. For me, the symptoms are the same as being glutened. I didn't notice an issue with dairy until I had been gluten free for a few weeks. I was starting to feel so much better, then regressed. After keeping a food/symptom diary for a few days, I realized that it was dairy. Once the villi heal, most people can once again have dairy......that time frame varies greatly from person to person, and I would hazard to guess that for most people, it is much longer than a few weeks.. I have not had a problem with soy, yet, but I know many people do. I have never seen any medical reason why soy becomes a problem. Maybe someone else can tell you.

Hope this helps :) and don't hesitate to ask questions!

I agree with two steps forward, 3 steps back!

I read that it takes 3 YEARS to get a truly good handle on the gluten free diet. I'm on year 2 and I was glutened three times in July alone.

It's been called the most difficult diet. I mean who thinks gluten is in crabmeat or dried fruit?

I ordered a baked potato once and it came covered in crunchy things!! I ordered mozzerella and tomato salad and it came in slices all stacked in a pile, held together with a raw spaghetti noodle!

I mean, it really is exhausting shopping, avoiding cc, trying to get energy without many carbs, figuring out why some gluten free breads or products make you bloat, etc.

Hi Brendygirl you nailed it it is emotionally draining and I think that is what I am going throught you really feel like it is your own journey with no really help or support as much as my husband and kiddies have been wonderful no one really gets it and that is hard so many times I get from extended family that look of oh brother what now with her they think you have just become an annoying hypercondriact....whatever glad I have you all here

labbott Newbie

I doubt this will make you feel any better but I have been at this gluten-free diet for 5 months and am still sick. I have a few good days now and again though so I suppose that is progress. The first 3 weeks of gluten-free I felt like a million bucks then all of a sudden I was very sick. My hubby says if you have a problem with wheat and you remove it shouldn't you be getting better not worse. Nobody else really gets it. Apparently for many of us once we go gluten-free we end up with leaky gut. In basic terms there are gates in our intestines that determine what nutrients go into the bloodstream and also keeps toxins and (Bad) bacteria in the intestines to remove as waste. After we go gluten-free those gates stop working. And everything hits our bloodstream. Soy, dairy, eggs, corn, oranges, shellfish, peanuts are the other big allergens and when those things hit our bloodstream our bodies react and makes us sick. So that is why so many of us have to give up all of these things after being gluten-free for a while. And most of us also have a dairy intolerance as someone else explained because of the damage in our intestines. Not everyone gets leaky gut so don't despair but do start keeping a journal of what you are eating and how you feel 30 mins after the meal. If you find you are reacting to something, remove it. I know. Going gluten-free is hard enough so removing all this other stuff is too much to ask. But I finally realized if I want to feel better I have to give my body only what makes it feel good-fruits, vegetables, meats, legumes and rice. Some people can't eat the legumes and rice. And some people can't eat tomatoes, peppers or squash either. So I just better be thankful for the things I can still stomach!!

Some things to double check- do others in your house eat gluten? Even a crumb on the counter can make you sick. Do you have animals? If they eat food with gluten then lick you or lick themselve then rub on your couch then for some people having it touch their skin is enough to make them sick. My dog had to go gluten-free too. My husband was beside himself over that one. But my dog has lost 10lbs and is acting like a puppy again and she had been acting old and frail. Check and recheck your supplements. Many contain soy and dairy. One of mine had orange flavoring too. So look for gluten but also start looking at the other things that may cause you to have problems too.

There are threads under other related disorders on leaky gut. I am still a novice but many others really have the details you may need. Hang in there. You aren't the only one struggling. That is why most of us are here. Our gluten-free lifestyles are challenging and we need others to talk to about the struggles we each face.

theo1212 Newbie

I have been on the gluten free diet since July 14th, 2008. The day I was diagnosed. I too seem to feel worse while being on the gluten free diet. I thought I was supposed to be getting better. I know that it can take some time to feel better so I am gonna give it some time. I am trying to weed out all possibilities of CC in the home. Going to buy new pots and pans for me. I just don't understand why some say the can't eat corn, oranges...etc.

You read things online that say gluten free on one site then they say you can't eat it on another site. It's all really very draining to someone that has this condition already. I still feel very fatigued, aches and pains all over allthough my abdominal pains are starting to disappear. I guess I am just wishing the healing process was faster. I thought of doing the food calendar thing. recording what I eat everyday. If I have to I will eat only salads. I just feel like some days there is progress then regression.

I can't believe how crappy this can make you feel. I haven't worked since October of 07 because of this. It took them 8 months to diagnose me. Its truly been horrible.

BelievinMiracles Explorer

I totally know how you feel. I probably started the diet late June and I'm still not feeling 100% ok. It took them 2 years to finally diagnose me and it's very frustrating. So I feel your pain. The biggest thing I want better for sure out of all my problems (stomach aces, kidney pains, headaches, fatigue) is for me to finally have my energy back. I can handle all that other stuff but I can't get anything done or motivation when I'm so tired, which is not good for a college student with dreams of grad school. The sites are very confusing and what I'm going to do when school starts and I finally have time I'm going to a dietitian or nutritionist and get a plan from them. I heard it can take up to a couple months to years before some of the people feel completely better. But advise people gave to me that maybe you didn't know cuz I definitely didn't know is that your suppose to eat very simple. Rice, meat, fruits and veggies. Don't start with gluten free bread because you need to give your body time to heal. So that's what I'm trying and see if that helps. Good luck and hang in there :)

Gwen B Rookie

***hugs*** right back.

Like the quote. Totally agree with all thats been said on this thread. Things do get better honest gfgirl.

I've been pretty strict since January and am now feeling about 75-90% better. I've had few bad days and only occasional cc incidents which seem to take less time now to heal afterwards. I still can't tolerate dairy, soy, tapioca but carraggeenan does not bother me like it used to. All the same I now eat mainly fresh, simple home cooked foods. salads and fresh fruit are fine for me now also, which is just as well as it is often all I can eat when we go to a restaurant - steak or fish with salad and I bring my own home made dressing. It's hardly worth paying to eat out when I can have better food at home!

It does get better but you may feel worse for some time. Just believe that you will get better and it is worth it! I now feel super energetic some days, like I did when I was a lot younger and people have even said that I look younger! Perhaps it is because the fat has filled back into my face and I don't look so gaunt and tired.

I take multivits (gluten-free,sf, df), omega 3 tabs, and a sublingual B12 which helped boost my energy enormously. I get tired if I forget to take it for few days and I did go egg light for a few months (no mayo :( ) but am ok with eggs now.

Good luck. Chin up! ;)

Archived