4 replies to this topic

#1 anerissara

anerissara

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 08:57 PM

When I first started on this I thought I'd just aviod all bread-type products because it would be healthier anyway...but after about 6 weeks of that I can't stand it! I must have bread and an occational dessert! I used to bake all the time, so I figured I'd just mess around until I came up with some good recipes....Not So Easy! I did have success with gluten-free carrot cake, brownies, and pancakes. However yeast breads really don't work AT ALL! I tried Pizza crust and it was like eating tomato sauce and cheese on masionite. Yum :blink: My son (bless his little heart) claimed it was the best pizza he'd ever eaten but I attribute that to the fact that it's the *only* pizza he's eaten in over a month...plus I think he felt sorry for me. Anyway, we can't afford to buy a lot of gluten-free products (wow, they're so pricey!) so if we want baked goods I need to figure this out. Where can I go for recipes? How on earth do you get rice bread to rise? Mine actually *shrank* as it baked. I used a mixture of 1/3 brown rice, 1/3 white rice and 1/3 potato flour and tried to make the pizza as per usual other than that. Any quick tips for a novice?

Thanks in advance!
"I will say of the Lord, 'He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.'" -Psalm 91

gluten-free since January 26th, 2005
Feeling up and down, but better!

Mommy of a gluten-free 8 yr old, a 6 yr old who (much to her dismay) will be gluten-free soon and a 2 yr old who is so far symptom-free. Contemplating putting the whole family on the gluten-free diet since crumbs have become my nemisis!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 cdford

cdford

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 10:09 PM

There are several good posts going right now, some with good recipes. Take your time and check out the information and mistakes that others have made. If you can, get a good cookbook. Bette Hagman is my favorite. I am placing the post address to a current discussion for you. Like I said, there are several. Look under the cooking and breads category. I can't remember right off the bat what we call it.

http://www.glutenfre...wtopic=4822&hl=
Donna
South Georgia
9 yrs gluten-free
...also DH, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, osteopenia, hypothyroid...

After almost 10 years, I am doing soooo much better!

#3 cdford

cdford

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 10:12 PM

Oh yes, and be sure you check under the posts on bread machines. I got one really great recipe there. The recipe for that and some cinnamon rolls are at the link I added in the last message.
Donna
South Georgia
9 yrs gluten-free
...also DH, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, osteopenia, hypothyroid...

After almost 10 years, I am doing soooo much better!

#4 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 07:20 AM

I wouldn't worry about it too much, my first try was a total disaster also. I have since learned that with gluten free bread, it is imperative that you use quick rise yeast. Also, apparently the yeast must be room temperature.

If you are looking for some good recipes, there is a lady named Mireille over in the delphiforums that has a vast array of recipes posted there. She owns a gluten-free restaurant, or something like that.....

Go here:

www.delphiforums.com

then on the left hand side, click on Health & Wellness. The first forum to come up is the celiac forum. It is an excellent resource for recipes.... and she posts alot to help all of us gluten-free baking challenged out!!!

Have a great day!
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#5 Boojca

Boojca

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 08:08 AM

I second Karen's post.... Delphi Forums is a LIFESAVER, especially in the cooking & baking department!

Bridget

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: