Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Good Tasting gluten-free Bread For Sandwiches?

• Please log in to reply

13 replies to this topic

#1 Lpa

Lpa

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 04:57 AM

I have bought several different kins of gluten-free lf sliced bread for sandwiches. None of them have been worth eating. I really miss having a good sandwich. Any suggestions on a good product to purchase? I do not have a bread machine.
Thank you for any suggestions.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 05:05 AM

I don't know if you can get this where you are, as it is made in Canada (Cambridge, Ontario). I found that the 'gourmet bread' by El Peto is excellent and tastes just like light rye bread. Even my (extremely picky) teenager eats it! Before our store started carrying it, neither one of us ate bread, because all the other breads are gross.
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#3 Lpa

Lpa

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 06:45 AM

I don't know if you can get this where you are, as it is made in Canada (Cambridge, Ontario). I found that the 'gourmet bread' by El Peto is excellent and tastes just like light rye bread. Even my (extremely picky) teenager eats it! Before our store started carrying it, neither one of us ate bread, because all the other breads are gross.

#4 Lpa

Lpa

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 07:09 AM

Thank you. I don't know if we get El Peto in North Carolina, but I'll look for it. I agree with you, all the other loaf breads have been gross.

#5 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 07:57 AM

Kinnickinnick makes some good breads. If you can't find them locally you can order them online also. The pizza crusts are good and I also like the donuts.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#6 Lpa

Lpa

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 08:15 AM

Thank you. I'll see if I can find that brand.

Question? Did you male son, five feet tall, grow anymore after diagnosis? My son if 5'6". I've wondered if it is from this, but he is not interested in getting tested.

#7 Live2BWell

Live2BWell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 08:35 AM

I like Kinnikinick (sp?) I got luky on the first shot, and came across a good flavor - it is the italian white tapioca rice bread. Here is their website http://www.kinnikinnick.com/
*Jessica*
IgG + IgA + TtG -
Family History of Celiac
See 'about me' for more info
gluten-free Since: 11/02/08

#8 Lpa

Lpa

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 08:40 AM

Thanks. I'm going to give this a try. I can't wait to try my summer tomatoes on some good bread!

#9 Katester

Katester

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 02:28 PM

I get Whole Foods' Gluten Free Bakehouse Sandwich Bread. I personally think it's good. I always toast it though. I don't' know if that's what you are trying to avoid. Without toasting it, it is very crumbly and almost dry. I've also tried Kinnikinnick's White Tapioca Bread and thought it was good. Good luck on your search!

symptoms-october 5th, 2007
negative endoscopy and colonoscopy-december 2007
positive bloodwork-january 2008
diagnosed celiac-january 8, 2008

"At the end of the day, the fact that we're still here is reason enough to celebrate."

#10 GlutenGalAZ

GlutenGalAZ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 03:51 PM

I get The Gluten Free Pantry White Sandwich Bread Mix. It is really easy takes 5-10minutes to prepare then 30-40 minutes to rise (I set it the stove area) and 30 minutes in the oven (while it is rising I pre-heat the oven and make french fries haha). You let it cool on a rack and then slice and freeze (or you can refrigerator if you are going to eat it all that week).
I recommend toasting any gluten free bread gives it a little crunch and is tastes better this way.

I like the above mix but I am going to try to make some different ones soon from some cookbooks just for a change.
GOOD LUCK on finding a bread you like.
Rebecca

Partial Gluten Free March 2007
Completely Gluten Free February 2008
Tapioca Starch/Flour Free April 2008
No MSG July 2008
Cut out Nitrates//Nitrites January 2009
Problems with Tomatoes and Potatoes -- Cut out Nightshades Aug '09

#11 dbmamaz

dbmamaz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 08:15 PM

After 8 mo of trying, i've managed to make bread. Well, I cant eat it, but my son says its absolutely the best gluten-free bread he's had (he's been gluten free for about 3 months). I used the sandwhich bread recipe from gluten free baking classics, no bread machine, but i did have to buy a bread pan and a thermometer. He's been eating cinnamon toast . .. i cant imagine doing that with awful bread.
Cara - 42, mom to dd 15, ds 12, ds 4
Off gluten and dairy (and tapioca ;-( ) since 11/07
A.L.C.A.T. test showed over 50 sensitive foods
Celiac panel came back negative.
Regular allergy testing reacted to every inhalant and all but 6 foods.
Slowly adding in foods, started w 19 and now have 25

#12 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 04:29 AM

Thank you. I'll see if I can find that brand.

Question? Did you male son, five feet tall, grow anymore after diagnosis? My son if 5'6". I've wondered if it is from this, but he is not interested in getting tested.

Unfortunatly my son was not diagnosed until after I was. Although he could have been a poster child for celiac it was never even considered. He was 20 at diagnosis and unfortunately his growth plates had fused. Take a good look at your son in shorts and a sleeveless Tshirt. If his long bones in his upper arms and thighs seem out of proportion do try to encourage him to be tested. If he is diagnosed in time most will regain some of the growth lost. I would give anything to have been able to get my son diagnosed in time for him to have gained even an inch. While your son at 5'6" is not abnormally small at the size my son is it has greatly damaged his selfesteem and it is extremely hard for him to find clothes. One other thing to pass on to your son- does he suffer from acne? If he does chances are that will be a thing of the past once he is gluten-free. I can't guarentee of course but that held true for all the members of my family.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#13 jkmunchkin

jkmunchkin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 05:38 PM

The absolute best bread is from The Grainless Baker. I particularly love their mock rye bread for sandwiches and the cinnamon raisin bread for breakfast or snack.

You don't even need to toast it to eat it. It's great!

http://www.thegrainlessbaker.com/
Jillian

Positive Blood test and Biopsy
Inflamed stomach lining
Gluten free since July 6, 2005
Tarrytown, NY

"Sometimes being a b$tch is all a woman has to hold onto." - Dolores Claiborne

#14 Lpa

Lpa

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 08:19 AM

Unfortunatly my son was not diagnosed until after I was. Although he could have been a poster child for celiac it was never even considered. He was 20 at diagnosis and unfortunately his growth plates had fused. Take a good look at your son in shorts and a sleeveless Tshirt. If his long bones in his upper arms and thighs seem out of proportion do try to encourage him to be tested. If he is diagnosed in time most will regain some of the growth lost. I would give anything to have been able to get my son diagnosed in time for him to have gained even an inch. While your son at 5'6" is not abnormally small at the size my son is it has greatly damaged his selfesteem and it is extremely hard for him to find clothes. One other thing to pass on to your son- does he suffer from acne? If he does chances are that will be a thing of the past once he is gluten-free. I can't guarentee of course but that held true for all the members of my family.

Thank you. My son is almost 22, so I figured his growth plates were closed too. And I've always thought he was proportionately well built. I just agonize about this a bit, because I know he wanted to be taller, and then when I learned about my gluten intolerance & it's relationship to growth, I wondered abou him. He is very lucky to be 5'6", and has adjusted to his height. I'm sure it's much harder for your son who is shorter. I do appreciate your input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: