13 replies to this topic

#1 stolly

stolly

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 07:26 PM

I love making homemade pizza dough, but often don't have time to do it right before dinner. Will it turn out ok if I make it a few hours ahead of time? I wasn't sure if it would rise too much with the yeast. If ok, should I refrigerate it or let it sit at room temperature before baking?

Also curious...can I freeze the dough? If so, should I pop it in the freezer right after mixing it, then let it sit at room temperature for a little while after thawing? I know I could bake the crust and freeze, but I think it would be nice to bake the dough when eating sometimes.

Thank you!
Holly
DD5: juveline rheumatoid arthritis 8/07; celiac 3/08
DS3: negative blood tests
Me and DH: negative blood tests

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 05:37 PM

Holly,
I make mine, bake and then freeze. I'm not sure how the unbaked dough would freeze, thaw and rise, but once baked, the shells freeze great. This is the recipe I use. My DH says its the best crust he's ever had. I've also made flat bread out of it and foccacia. I make the crusts personal size so everyone can make their own.

http://www.epicuriou...EE-PIZZA-241924

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

#3 purple

purple

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:24 AM

I make the pizza crust from Bette Hagamn's book called "The Gluten Free Gourmet Cooks Fast and Healthy"
I saw the recipe posted on here too but I forgot where. :(
I make an extra crust. Bake it about 12 minutes. Let it cool, flip it out of the pan to cool the bottom of it. Then wrap and freeze it. Then another day its ready, just thaw it, top and bake until toppings are hot and cheese is melted.
I think you could prebake a crust part way, then put it in the fridge. Later in the day, take it out, top and bake.
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

#4 Vamonos

Vamonos

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 03:30 AM

I love making homemade pizza dough, but often don't have time to do it right before dinner. Will it turn out ok if I make it a few hours ahead of time? I wasn't sure if it would rise too much with the yeast. If ok, should I refrigerate it or let it sit at room temperature before baking?

Also curious...can I freeze the dough? If so, should I pop it in the freezer right after mixing it, then let it sit at room temperature for a little while after thawing? I know I could bake the crust and freeze, but I think it would be nice to bake the dough when eating sometimes.

Thank you!

Holly,

Have you tried Carol Fenster's recipe for pizza crust? I found it online at Recipezaar dot com--recipe number 44487. works perferctly each time and is quite tasty. Even my non-gluten-free husband loves this. when it is too hot to use the oven for pizza, try covering the pizza with foil and cooking it outside with the gas grill. Best of all, you dont have to wait for this dough to rise like regular pizza dough.

The recipe is also on the back of Bob's Red Mill Garfava flour. You can substitute the brown rice flour for Garfava flour for a healthier alternative.
Diagnosed January 2007 by + endoscopy/biopsy

#5 cyberprof

cyberprof

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 09:02 PM

Holly,
I make mine, bake and then freeze. I'm not sure how the unbaked dough would freeze, thaw and rise, but once baked, the shells freeze great. This is the recipe I use. My DH says its the best crust he's ever had. I've also made flat bread out of it and foccacia. I make the crusts personal size so everyone can make their own.

http://www.epicuriou...EE-PIZZA-241924

This is the BEST pizza recipe, hands down.

I pre-bake it (not too brown), flash freeze it. Then I use the foodsaver to get the air out (or you could squeeze the air out of a ziplock freezer bag). When I'm ready to use it then I cook it --without thawing with sauce and cheese.

~Laura
Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

#6 Kmarie

Kmarie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 04:03 AM

Rachelle,

That looks like a good pizza crust. I don't have chickpea flour. What would be a good sub? Any flour? I do have garfava flour, which I was thinking would be close. BUT...I have one daughter who seems to think all flours leave an after taste (well - at least the sorghum - which I totally don't taste)...so I am thinking garfava is a stronger flavor? Could I use potatoe starch? Millet?

Also, do you think I could use water for the milk? Or would that totally change it? I thought about subbing rice milk - but that might lend a sweet taste, I am not sure. I would probably be okay with it, not sure about my 2 daughters. (yes, have 2. One seems to notice aftertaste on stuff, the other doesn't - but thinking both of them would notice the rice milk).

Thanks!
Dawn

#7 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 06:05 AM

Rachelle,

That looks like a good pizza crust. I don't have chickpea flour. What would be a good sub? Any flour? I do have garfava flour, which I was thinking would be close. BUT...I have one daughter who seems to think all flours leave an after taste (well - at least the sorghum - which I totally don't taste)...so I am thinking garfava is a stronger flavor? Could I use potatoe starch? Millet?

Also, do you think I could use water for the milk? Or would that totally change it? I thought about subbing rice milk - but that might lend a sweet taste, I am not sure. I would probably be okay with it, not sure about my 2 daughters. (yes, have 2. One seems to notice aftertaste on stuff, the other doesn't - but thinking both of them would notice the rice milk).

Thanks!
Dawn

Hi Dawn,
I never use the chickpea or garfava flour, I don't like the taste either. I use my own flour blend-I posted it on the cinammon roll thread-for the flours listed. I think you can also use water for milk (whatever kind of milk you want). I know the bread recipe I use says you can use either. I find this recipe to be pretty forgiving, it's always turned out right no matter what kinds of substitutions I make-and I tend to make a lot...

Rachelle 20dance.gif

-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

#8 DMarie

DMarie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 11:46 AM

Hi Rachelle,

Thanks for the answer on the flours. I just noticed the recipe uses eggs. I am currently avoiding eggs (have eliminated them and have not done a challenge yet to see what effect they are or are not having).

I am thinking the egg would help with chewiness, holding it together? I am not sure if egg replacer would work in pizza dough - I am fairly new at using it. Do you think it would work? I am wondering if maybe I should try the egg replacer and also use a tsp of unflavored gelatin? Not sure if I need the gelatin - because I am not totally sure of what the purpose of the egg is.

Thanks,
Dawn :unsure:
Dawn

Gluten Intolerant. Celiac bloodwork - negative (levels were tested after being very low gluten for over a year).
No other testing done (not worth the pain). Mostly Gluten Free since 2003. Stopped all gluten 2006.

2 daughters also gluten intolerant (14 and 18). Youngest is very sensitive. Bloodwork done before trying a gluten free diet - negative. Oldest decided to do a gluten challenge before any testing.

#9 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 12:09 PM

Hi Rachelle,

Thanks for the answer on the flours. I just noticed the recipe uses eggs. I am currently avoiding eggs (have eliminated them and have not done a challenge yet to see what effect they are or are not having).

I am thinking the egg would help with chewiness, holding it together? I am not sure if egg replacer would work in pizza dough - I am fairly new at using it. Do you think it would work? I am wondering if maybe I should try the egg replacer and also use a tsp of unflavored gelatin? Not sure if I need the gelatin - because I am not totally sure of what the purpose of the egg is.

Thanks,

I don't have any experience with the egg replacer, but I would think it would be fine to use. Someone else who reads this might have more info. I've never used the gelatin either... Sorry ;)

Rachelle 20dance.gif

-gluten-free since 1/06

#10 purple

purple

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 12:24 PM

Hi Rachelle,

Thanks,

Try these:

http://www.glutenfre...showtopic=46562

http://www.allergygr...com/id1142.html
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

#11 DMarie

DMarie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 03:17 PM

Thanks for the links purple! :lol:

I did make this recipe tonight with modifications so thought I would post. I used Ener-G egg replacer and water (instead of eggs). In place of the chickpea flour, I used brown rice flour. Next time I would like to sub out some of the flour for a little bit of millet. I might even try using some gelatin - but making my crusts a little thicker next time would probably help it be a bit more chewy.

All in all I think it came out well. I pre-baked them for about 15 minutes (they were still not crisp on the bottom and I was worried they wouldn't be done enough to top and bake again - but no worries - it was fine). I put parchment paper on top of my pizza stone and then put the dough on the paper. I spread with a metal spatula (what I would use to ice a cake). It was easy to spread on the parchment as it stuck to the paper (didn't lift up). I was able to get nice circles. (I didn't know what a baking peel was - referenced in the recipe).

I might try adding a small amount of spice to the crust the next time as well as trying something like rice milk or hemp milk (I don't know what hemp milk tastes like - but I need a bland milk sub so as not to flavor the crust). OR I might try brushing the crust with garlic butter - that would be really good and might add that little bit extra I am looking for. Also, I would like it to be just a bit thicker than mine turned out, so will spread a bit smaller in diameter.

After topping one of the crusts, I baked for almost 20 more minutes at 400. The crust was light brown, crispy on the bottom. Overall, it was a success! One of the better crusts I have made and very easy as well. I will be making more tomorrow for my freezer. :P I just need to adjust to pizza without cheese now - or try a non-dairy cheese -which just does not sound appetizing.
Dawn

Gluten Intolerant. Celiac bloodwork - negative (levels were tested after being very low gluten for over a year).
No other testing done (not worth the pain). Mostly Gluten Free since 2003. Stopped all gluten 2006.

2 daughters also gluten intolerant (14 and 18). Youngest is very sensitive. Bloodwork done before trying a gluten free diet - negative. Oldest decided to do a gluten challenge before any testing.

#12 Josh Parker

Josh Parker

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 02:38 PM

Hi Rachelle,

Thanks,

Kinnikinnick Foods makes an excellent gluten free pizza dough. If you ask your local grocery store (go straight to the manager) to order them, they will. Harry's Farmer's Market carries them. Kroger orders them if I ask.. They are frozen and they come in 7 inch or 10 inch. They don't taste like cardboard.

#13 DMarie

DMarie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 06:41 AM

Thanks Josh! I have actually tried Kinnickinnick's crust - and I like it. I have a small stock pile in my freezer. :lol: For some reason it is not a favorite of my girls. They comment on the sweetness of the crust. :( Kinnickinnick gets my endorsement too for a purchased gluten-free product.

I do notice the sweetness as well, but overall it was the best I had found. I probably prefer it over the ones I have made from scratch, though my girls like my scratch ones. Go figure. ;) I think if I add some italian seasoning or brush my scratch ones with garlic butter - they might edge ahead of the kinnickinnick ones for me though - since they are soft and a little chewy and a little thicker.
Dawn

#14 Josh Parker

Josh Parker

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:59 AM

Yea, I tried to make my own, but it wasn't as good as the Kinnikinnick Foods crust.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: