arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Learning To Make The Breads, What About The Meat?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 snapturtle

snapturtle

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 11:13 PM

The topic title pretty much says it all. I am a huge fan of sandwiches and despite having not been diagnosed for sure yet am on a gluten-free diet. If I don't get to eat sandwiches soon I will cry!! How do I know what deli meats are okay and what aren't? are they all processed? are the slicers contaminated? Where does everyone else buy their meat or is most meat okay? Also cheese, now that I think of it. Is it always gluten-free?
:rolleyes: I'm desperate for my sandwiches!! (= Thanks for any help anyone can give!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 05:28 AM

Hillshire Farm Lunchmeats are gluten free. They are good. I make a roll-up with them. Lay out the meat, put some cheese inside and roll up. You can also put a layer of lettuce on the outside which is tasty. I absolutely can't stand gluten-free bread so I just avoid it! ha

I use kraft cheese slices in my roll-ups. Also velveeta is gluten-free.

Enjoy!
-Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#3 hapi2bgf

hapi2bgf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 07:54 AM

I live on the Boar's Head Tavern Ham deli meat. You'll have to check which other ones are gluten-free.

#4 ROYAL BLUE

ROYAL BLUE

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 09:37 AM

Frebey brand deli meats are gluten-free, lactose free and MSG free. It states this on the label. They are sold in most grocery stores in British Columbia. I don't know about anywhere else.

tracy

#5 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 01:02 PM

Diestel's lunch meats are gluten-free as well. (To the best of my knowledge, you may consider double checking with the company.)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#6 snapturtle

snapturtle

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 09:16 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies!! I think that the Boars Head and Hillshire Farm brands are available here in Nebraska. Do most of you purchase chicken breast and roasts and such at health food chains? I never realized until the other day that meat even had any gluten in it, but thanks to reading all of your disscussions I've been able to find several sources of gluten in my diet that I didn't realize were there. This board is my most valuable assett and I don't think I would be coping nearly as well without it. Thanks for the advice and if anyone has any more on meat please feel free to add!!

#7 Suzn14806

Suzn14806

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 03:24 AM

Hormel meat is either gluten free or the gluten is clearly labeled. That includes Oscar Meyer deli meats that are prepackaged.

Yes the slicer gets contaminated from some of the meats and also the scale and the gloves that the workers are wearing. I ask them to change their gloves and put a clean sheet of wax paper on the scale and hope that the person ahead of me got a gluten-free meat. ;)

I try to eliminate any hidden gluten but at some point I think we have to just be realistic. I read soewhere unless we pick the grains ourselves or butcher the animals ourselves, we have to to acknowledge that we will never be able to eliminate gluten entirely but we can make ourselves crazy if we worry about it too much.

I guess what I am saying is I try to do my best and trust God for the rest cause we just never really know where most of our food has been before we get it home.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: