Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

No Veggies..

• Please log in to reply

1 reply to this topic

#1 num1habsfan

num1habsfan

Prairie field, possibly the best picture I've taken!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 07:36 PM

Yeah I think I just give up. as of the middle of december I cant eat any veggies anymore without feeling REALLY cramped up. its not bloated, not gas, just killer cramps. Sometimes so bad that i have to lie down cause I cant even breathe. Its just cucumbers and lettuce that doesnt bother me now. I live on just gluten-free sandwiches and rice basically, and sometimes rice noodles, but they are so expensive I cant afford it anymore. I only have enough money to feed myself for 4 years, and just food, nothing else, so i'm trying to cut down on the expensive stuff. <_<
Anyone else have issues with veggies???

~lisa~

...Flames vs. Panthers, and Lifehouse, were best experiences OF MY LIFE!!...
...26 years old...
...Look in my forum profile for ways to read my public sports articles...

R.I.P. Uncle Gus (Sept. 21, 1971 - Oct. 2, 2004) ... R.I.P. Baba (Oct. 12, 1911 - Feb. 28, 2006) ... R.I.P. Uncle Lawrence (Aug. 7, 1943 - Jan. 4, 2009)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 cdford

cdford

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 11:36 PM

Some veggies are worse than others, but yes, many of us have similar problems. I cannot eat corn or okra without being near a bathroom. No true allergies to these items, they just cause my system to react. There are some other things as well. I also seem to cycle through periods of time when I can eat only a few items without a reaction.

Try giving your system a rest. Even if you were a great nutritionist before, your system may not be able to handle the fibers for a while. If you have quite a bit of damage, you may have to live off grilled chicken and white rice for a few weeks. Eat what you can and allow your digestive tract to heal up. You can then add back items you know are gluten-free one at a time. If you react, back off and wait a while before you try again. If you allow yourself alcohol, try a little bit of wine with your meals. It may relax your system. Just be careful not to let that become too much of a habit.

It will get better if you stick to it. Your system just seems to be taking a little longer than some.

I am disabled with three children, so I know about the financial side of this. My mother and friends are just amazed that I manage to feed this crew on $250+/- each month. If you keep it to simple meats and simple veggies you can do it. That does not mean that it is easy. Plan ahead. Don't buy a lot of junk foods. Cook from scratch and be sure to eat the left-overs. Soups and cornbread go a long way. So do dried beans when your system stabilizes. Make your own breads if you want to eat them. You can even have a few splurge items if you budget your grocery bills carefully.
Donna
South Georgia
9 yrs gluten-free
...also DH, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, osteopenia, hypothyroid...

After almost 10 years, I am doing soooo much better!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: