This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Intestinal Adhesions

LabGirl

LabGirl Newbie

Hi, I'm new to Celiac's disease and after reading some of your discussions that I came across during a google search, I was wondering if anybody has any info on my current dilemma! I was recently diagnosed after what I figure could be as much as 10 years or more of different problems. It wasn't until about 5 years ago when I became moderately anemic with no obvious cause that I started insisting to my primary care physician that there was something wrong with me. I have had several bouts with intestinal bleeding over the years and have had two children (which my doctor says has probably caused my lastest problem), and the other day I went in for a tubal ligation. I have never had any other surgeries other than 3 colonoscopies and 2 egds, but my intestines were "fixed in place" by adhesions/scar tissue. The doctor was not able to finish the surgery because he could never even get my uterus out from behind my colon. He tried making the incision twice as big as what is normally used and had 3 nurses helping him for over an hour. They finally decided to give up because they were afraid of perforating the bowel. He said he has never had anything like that happen to him before! I called the office of the gastrointerologist who diagnosed me, but they didn't give me any answers. Has anyone else had an experience similar to mine or heard of anything like this? My primary care physician admits that he knows nothing about Celiac's, and my gastrointerologist knew enough to diagnose me, but is an older doctor and based on some info he has given me, I have a feeling that what he knows he learned years ago!!! Most of what I have learned since being diagnosed is what I have found on the internet and in forums reading other people's experiences, which had been so helpful to me. Any info about my problem would be so greatly appreciated. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ShayFL Enthusiast

What is an EGD?

I have adhesions all over in my abdominal cavity from an appendectomy when I was 13. It had actually ruptured, so they did "exploratory" and left those scars.

YoloGx Rookie

I used to have intestinal adhesions. They went away by change of diet going off all trace glutens. Also eating more vegetables and taking fresh ground up flax seed (1 tablespoon in your coffee grinder and then grind; best if also add 1/4 tsp. apple pectin before grinding) and mix in water, then chase with more water. It also helps to take something like nattokinase caps to get rid of the scar tissue. I take one or two every day. It is a fibronylitic agent--i.e. anti scar tissue. It really works. I often take it with bromelain/papain to make it even more effective. On an empty stomach at night or first thing in the morning an hour before eating. I also suggest that you take marshmallow root and/or slippery elm regularly to counteract inflammation and soothe and heal the intestines.

Bea

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

The only person I know with intestinal adhesions has lupus. They told her the adhesions were from the lupus. I suspect that they (and the lupus) are because of gluten intolerance, but they think I am crazy.

whitball Explorer

I have had 5 abdominal surgeries (3 c-sections, 2 laparoscopies, 1 hysterectomy) I have adhesions that have decided to latch onto my bowel. I experience ongoing pain, often daily and dread any kind of bm. I recently saw my gastro. dr., who confirmed the adhesions. My options? Surgery or leave it alone. I chose to leave it alone until it becomes an emergency because more surgery means more adhesions. Sorry that I can't offer anything more positive.

jerseyangel Proficient
What is an EGD?

EGD is an esophagogastroduodenoscopy, or more commonly known as an endoscopy :)

I had adhesions from a c-section 24 years ago. They were taken care of during a hysterectomy last year. So far, so good.

ShayFL Enthusiast

I had massive adhesions as well and BM's and intercourse were agonizing. They did a laparoscopy and cleaned it all up. The surgeon said I might need to re-do it in 10 years. That was nearly 20 years ago and I am still fine.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

whitball Explorer
I had massive adhesions as well and BM's and intercourse were agonizing. They did a laparoscopy and cleaned it all up. The surgeon said I might need to re-do it in 10 years. That was nearly 20 years ago and I am still fine.

I'm glad that you were able to get some relief!

YoloGx Rookie

Just have to say that the remedies I suggested worked great for me--especially the extra (at first cooked) vegetables, no gluten, and a gentle gluten free bulking agent like the fresh gound flax. Start slow if you are sensitive.

The marshmallow root and/or slippery elm really heal and sooth the intestines, getting rid of any inflammation, plus they are very inexpensive.

Also, to repeat, the fibronytic agents do get rid of scar tissue--and they did work excellently for a friend of mine who had major bowel surgery to remove cancer. He had tons of scar tissue afterwards, then found out about Vitalzymes which uses serrapeptidase (an enzyme from silk worms when the pupae break through the silk to become a butterfly)and bromelain/papain as the scar tissue removal agents. He thus avoided the need for a third surgery (for the second surgery he didn't know about the fibronylitic agents)--which otherwise would have been necessary.

I have found nattokinase with the bromelain/papain works just as well. It healed scar tissue in my neck and elbows from a car accident. There are other products as well, serrapeptase being one. However I don't use it since I am sensitive to fermented products. The added bonus here is these agents help heal the villi in the intestines too as well as excess scar tissue anywhere in the body. You have to keep taking it or the scar tissue comes back, however its well worth the trouble. Don't take them however if you bleed too easily however since they will thin your blood.

Exercise also helps against adhesions by promoting intestinal health.

Bea

ShayFL Enthusiast

For some scar tissue that is palpable, massage works. I still have the apendectomy scar and there is scar tissue attached that makes it pull in...I have a dip in my belly there. But it is much better as I had a massage therapist who worked it for months.

LabGirl Newbie

Thanks for everyone's replies - I feel much better than I did this morning about it all. It's just frustrating to go through an elective surgery, and then find out it was all for nothing! But I work in the small hospital where it was done, and know the doctor and nurses really well - I do know that they had what was best and safest for me in mind. Thanks to jerseygirl for answering the egd question, I never can remember exactly what it stands for. :huh: I haven't had a lot of pains that I have contributed thus far to the adhesions, just a dull, annoying pain that I figured was the celiacs. I have had the BM pain before though, maybe that's what it was? My doctor suggested not doing anything for it (as far as surgery) as long as it doesn't cause me a lot of problems, but I do appreciate all the other alternative suggestions.

GFinDC Veteran

One of my sisters has endomertiosis, or at least that's what they call it. She's had several surgeries to free things that have attached in there. I have celiac, and one of my other sisters probably has celiac, being tested soon, and it seems to run in our family. So I think it is related somehow to celiac. Although my younger brother had Crohns'. I have been trying to talk her into trying the gluten-free diet or get tested, but she is slightly stubborn. And the sun is slightly warm. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endometriosis

Endometriosis is a common medical condition characterized by growth beyond or outside the uterus of tissue resembling endometrium, the tissue that normally lines the uterus. Affecting an estimated 89 million women of reproductive age around the world, endometriosis occurs in one in every five women.

YoloGx Rookie

My niece had endometriosis. It was a very big deal having her second child. She had a hysterectomy after. She also had a hip replacement in her mid forties due to a bone that became infected. Recently she has discovered she too is gluten intolerant.

Bea

• 7 years later...
Robb Turbeville Newbie

Yolo, you said your friend had great results with bromelain and abdominal adhesions.  Is that correct?  I have seen some articles regarding bromelain and adhesions.  What type of relief did he see and how long did it take?

Thanks!

Robb

On 8/13/2008 at 10:51 PM, yolo said:

My niece had endometriosis. It was a very big deal having her second child. She had a hysterectomy after. She also had a hip replacement in her mid forties due to a bone that became infected. Recently she has discovered she too is gluten intolerant.

Bea

Edited by Robb Turbeville
squirmingitch Veteran

Robb you have responded to a post that is from 2008. I haven't seen yolo posting in years. I doubt you wil receive a reply.

• 3 years later...
Wessa Newbie
On 8/12/2008 at 5:07 PM, yolo said:

Just have to say that the remedies I suggested worked great for me--especially the extra (at first cooked) vegetables, no gluten, and a gentle gluten free bulking agent like the fresh gound flax. Start slow if you are sensitive.

The marshmallow root and/or slippery elm really heal and sooth the intestines, getting rid of any inflammation, plus they are very inexpensive.

Also, to repeat, the fibronytic agents do get rid of scar tissue--and they did work excellently for a friend of mine who had major bowel surgery to remove cancer. He had tons of scar tissue afterwards, then found out about Vitalzymes which uses serrapeptidase (an enzyme from silk worms when the pupae break through the silk to become a butterfly)and bromelain/papain as the scar tissue removal agents. He thus avoided the need for a third surgery (for the second surgery he didn't know about the fibronylitic agents)--which otherwise would have been necessary.

I have found nattokinase with the bromelain/papain works just as well. It healed scar tissue in my neck and elbows from a car accident. There are other products as well, serrapeptase being one. However I don't use it since I am sensitive to fermented products. The added bonus here is these agents help heal the villi in the intestines too as well as excess scar tissue anywhere in the body. You have to keep taking it or the scar tissue comes back, however its well worth the trouble. Don't take them however if you bleed too easily however since they will thin your blood.

Exercise also helps against adhesions by promoting intestinal health.

Bea

Hi:

I just found your post and am thrilled to have found it.  I have terrible scar tissue after a hysterectomy and appendectomy.  Pain is very bad and just recently learned that gluten adds to the pain due to inflammation.  I was wondering if there is a specific Nattokinase that you recommend? 

Thanks so much for any information.

Melissa

• 2 years later...
YoloGx Rookie
On 12/5/2019 at 2:17 PM, Wessa said:

Hi:

I just found your post and am thrilled to have found it.  I have terrible scar tissue after a hysterectomy and appendectomy.  Pain is very bad and just recently learned that gluten adds to the pain due to inflammation.  I was wondering if there is a specific Nattokinase that you recommend? 

Thanks so much for any information.

Melissa

Hi Melissa, I just rejoined celiac.com and am happy to answer your question although yes it has been years!! I no longer take nattokinase due to the fact it is made from soy, plus it is fermented--and I have a sensitivity to both fermented things and soy as it turns out.  Instead I have been taking serrapeptase for many years. It is derived from silkworms--its the chemical that they exude to break through the silk pupae. It truly has helped my old scar tissue be far less of a problem. Plus it continues to work for making my gums not recede. It also helps in general to make sure my blood vessels are clear etc. I usually take it on an empty stomach at night or early in the wee hours.