This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Can Dog Treats Make Me React

krisb

krisb Contributor

I have been reacting again lately and I can't figure out why. I wondered if it was from handeling the dog and cat treats. Is that possible?

I took some advil Equate brand. Can that cause a reaction?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ShayFL Enthusiast

I only use rice based gluten-free dog treats and dogfood. I believe they can make you react.

CeliacAlli Apprentice

I wouldn't be surprised if they did. This is exactly why I don't handle them.

Phyllis28 Apprentice

I have read the ingredients on the back of many brands cat treats in the pet store. Almost all of them contain wheat and/or barley. My cats live without treats.

larry mac Enthusiast

I'm certainly no expert on DH, but wouldn't handling gluten mainly be a DH thing. I give my Phoebe gluten doggy cookies, gluten doggy biscuits, gluten cerial such as fruit loops in leu of cookies, etc. all the time. I've never made any connection with a reaction.

These products are baked/cooked and are about as dry as can be. So it's not like handling powdered gluten flour. Of course I'm sure you do get some extremely tiny particles on your skin. For non-DH'rs I would think that as long as you don't lick your fingers after that you would be OK. Human skin, especially fairly tough finger skin, is not that permiable to chemicals, much less material such as dried food. There are three methods of exposure to hazardous chemicals. Inhalation, ingestion, and dermal or skin exposure. Of the three, skin exposure is usually the least dangerous by far. Of course, we're not talking about a deadly toxic chemical to a normal human being. Wheat gluten is only sickening to us.

Actually, I'm kind of embarressed to admit it, since I've never been a dog person, and fought vigorously against getting a dog for 9 years, but until not too long ago, I would hold a fruit loop in my lips and let my Phoebe get it. Yeah I know, when you actually type it, it sounds kind of disgusting. But, I do love my dog, and it's kind of like a kiss. One day I realized I was putting wheat in my mouth and stopped doing it. I still handle bread, flour tortillas, etc. for my wife with no ill effects that I know of.

best regards, lm

dksart Apprentice

My dogs eat gluten-free. Our oldest dog has a wheat allergy/intolerence and if he gets any it makes his paws swell and itch so he bites them until they bleed.

I would still feed them this food anyway because I love all the Gluten-free puppy kisses!

For treats, they get carrots, chicken jerky or my homemade peanut butter dog biscuits and their main food is a limited ingredient natural food with venison and brown rice.

dksart Apprentice
I still handle bread, flour tortillas, etc. for my wife with no ill effects that I know of.

.....That you know of ..... is the thing. You are probably still doing damage without showing any symptoms.

:(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

susieg-1 Apprentice
I have read the ingredients on the back of many brands cat treats in the pet store. Almost all of them contain wheat and/or barley. My cats live without treats.

I will only buy treats for my dog that have some kind of meat as a main ingredient. I also wash my hands right after touching any dog treat or dry dog food just to be safe.

gfp Enthusiast
color="#8b0000"].....That you know of ..... is the thing. You are probably still doing damage without showing any symptoms.

:(

Well - minus the size... I agree...

there is plenty of damage can be done without even having a intestinal reaction.

Dogs are IMHO more problematic than cats... since they are much messier eaters...

This is especially true for treats since they seem to love throwing them about, crunching etc.

Try as you might you'll never get a dog to eat politely.... :D and they drop crumbs etc. etc.

Sooner or later these end up on yourself and then there is a chance of transferring them to your mouth inadvertantly.

Also vacuuming will stir them up and get them in the air etc.

Dogs also tend to get stuff in thier "beard" .... or in their teeth, then they chew a rubber bone or ball and next thing your handling the bone/ball.

ShayFL Enthusiast

And you have to ask yourself: Should your beloved pet be eating "wheat"????

home-based-mom Contributor
I'm certainly no expert on DH, but wouldn't handling gluten mainly be a DH thing. I give my Phoebe gluten doggy cookies, gluten doggy biscuits, gluten cerial such as fruit loops in leu of cookies, etc. all the time. I've never made any connection with a reaction.

These products are baked/cooked and are about as dry as can be. So it's not like handling powdered gluten flour. Of course I'm sure you do get some extremely tiny particles on your skin. For non-DH'rs I would think that as long as you don't lick your fingers after that you would be OK. Human skin, especially fairly tough finger skin, is not that permiable to chemicals, much less material such as dried food. There are three methods of exposure to hazardous chemicals. Inhalation, ingestion, and dermal or skin exposure. Of the three, skin exposure is usually the least dangerous by far. Of course, we're not talking about a deadly toxic chemical to a normal human being. Wheat gluten is only sickening to us.

Actually, I'm kind of embarressed to admit it, since I've never been a dog person, and fought vigorously against getting a dog for 9 years, but until not too long ago, I would hold a fruit loop in my lips and let my Phoebe get it. Yeah I know, when you actually type it, it sounds kind of disgusting. But, I do love my dog, and it's kind of like a kiss. One day I realized I was putting wheat in my mouth and stopped doing it. I still handle bread, flour tortillas, etc. for my wife with no ill effects that I know of.

best regards, lm

It is my understanding that once gluten comes into contact with anything including your hands, because of its extremely sticky nature it is there until washed off. Therefore anything you touch after handling anything contaminated by or containing gluten and before washing your hands also becomes contaminated. DH is not the issue. Cross contamination is the issue.

Also, once your pet has eaten gluten and then does the self-grooming they all do, the gluten is transferred from their tongues to their fur, and whoever then pets the animal picks up the gluten on their hands. Whatever they then touch before washing their hands becomes contaminated. This includes door knobs, refrigerator handles, remote controls, etc. If someone else comes along later, opens the fridge, grabs a handful of grapes and eats them, they have just been glutened, even if it is hours later and everyone has forgotten all about the doggy or kitty treat earlier in the day or even on a previous day. :(

Not everyone is sensitive enough to have all that cause problems, but some are. This is just one reason many choose to keep a gluten free home. ;)

dksart Apprentice

Exactly! (I'll reply smaller now :) ) They should not. Our dog has an intolerance/allergy to wheat which is how I first found out about the horrible things that go into dog food (i.e. diseased, previously dead, decaying road kill, euthanized zoo animals and sometimes even dogs and cats and "meat by-products" that are not considered quality enough for human consumption) but, besides that all of the unnecessary fillers and grains that dogs should not have.

Open Original Shared Link

We feed Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet Allergy Formula - Sweet Potato and Venison, Sweet Potato and Salmon or Lamb and Brown Rice. The entire ingredient list is the name of the food plus canola oil, maybe a few veggies and vitamin supplements.

Open Original Shared Link

There are many other choices for Gluten-free pet food.

Gluten-Free dog food! Yes, it is a bit more expensive than Wal-Mart, but it is 100% useful, nutritional calories...therefore you dog will eat less and poop less. Their allergies, joint pain and lethargy will disappear. They will become healthier, happier, more bright eyed and have shinier coats. Best of all.....safe Gluten-free puppy kisses for us! :P

krisb Contributor

I have been reading about how bad cat and dog food is. They add all kinds of stuff that they shouldn't be eating and it causes the pets to have more illnesses. Dogs aren't supposed to have grains especially corn and gluten. I am looking for gluten free foods for them that I can afford. I try to make the dog a dish with our leftovers. Whatever my 4 boys leave on there plates is usually enough for a meal for the dog. My cats are a little more picky so I'm still working on them.

I can see how some of the treats I buy can cause cross contam. The soft treats are more sticky. I usually do wash my hands after I handle them. My skin has been breaking out recently and that is the only thing I can think of that might be doing it. I seem to be very sensitive. I will not blame the dairy queen butterfinger blizzard I had recently because I just like it way too much.

Gemini Experienced

best regards, lm

larry mac......I have posted information about this before and I felt I should add a few comments about dermal exposure. As you may know, Dr. Peter Green is one of the leading researchers and doctors on celiac disease. I recently read his book and it was extremely informative and I would highly recommend it. His information stated that even for people with DH, there is no need to fear handling gluten or using skin products containing gluten. As you know, celiac disease is a disease of intolerance and food has to get INTO the gut to produce an autoimmune reaction. That's pretty much common medical fact. If a person reacts to handling gluten, then we are talking about a contact allergy to something else in the product or possible a wheat contact allergy. It's got nothing to do with Celiac Disease yet some people still refuse to believe this. It is perfectly OK to handle gluten as long as you wash your hands well after handling it. I sometimes make a sandwich for the hubby, handle his wheaty bread and wash my hands well after each exposure. It has not been a problem for me either.

I know some like to post that you are still damaging yourself and you just don't know it. Well, I'm sorry, I'm just not that naive or stupid! I get my blood work done on a regular basis and if there was enough exposure to cause damage, then it would show up in your blood work, period. One of the hardest things my own doctor told me to get across to people is how this disease really works without making people paranoid about it. Most of it is common sense. Yet there is still much misinformation floating around out there making it harder for people to live this lifestyle. I have done my homework and would not post this unless I were 100% sure the information was correct. If you are a Celiac, then it would be easy to see why a person would think every reaction is gluten related but they are not.

People can do what they want and choose to avoid things however they want but posting inaccurate information is a disservice to others who are learning the diet.

Gluten cannot be absorbed thru the skin because the molecule is too big and you have to get it into your gut in large enough quantities to cause a true autoimmune reaction. From my own experience, this has been true for me and my doctor thinks I am doing a fabulous job so I have stopped worrying about it.

As for dog and cat food....any high quality, non-grain food will not contain gluten. I have had pets all my life and have NEVER had a problem handling their food, even when some may have contained gluten. Then again, I don't share their food! ;)

gfp Enthusiast

Gemini: Can you show me evidence that injecting gluten does no damage?

MaryJones2 Enthusiast
larry mac......I have posted information about this before and I felt I should add a few comments about dermal exposure. As you may know, Dr. Peter Green is one of the leading researchers and doctors on celiac disease. I recently read his book and it was extremely informative and I would highly recommend it. His information stated that even for people with DH, there is no need to fear handling gluten or using skin products containing gluten. As you know, celiac disease is a disease of intolerance and food has to get INTO the gut to produce an autoimmune reaction. That's pretty much common medical fact. If a person reacts to handling gluten, then we are talking about a contact allergy to something else in the product or possible a wheat contact allergy. It's got nothing to do with Celiac Disease yet some people still refuse to believe this. It is perfectly OK to handle gluten as long as you wash your hands well after handling it. I sometimes make a sandwich for the hubby, handle his wheaty bread and wash my hands well after each exposure. It has not been a problem for me either.

I know some like to post that you are still damaging yourself and you just don't know it. Well, I'm sorry, I'm just not that naive or stupid! I get my blood work done on a regular basis and if there was enough exposure to cause damage, then it would show up in your blood work, period. One of the hardest things my own doctor told me to get across to people is how this disease really works without making people paranoid about it. Most of it is common sense. Yet there is still much misinformation floating around out there making it harder for people to live this lifestyle. I have done my homework and would not post this unless I were 100% sure the information was correct. If you are a Celiac, then it would be easy to see why a person would think every reaction is gluten related but they are not.

People can do what they want and choose to avoid things however they want but posting inaccurate information is a disservice to others who are learning the diet.

Gluten cannot be absorbed thru the skin because the molecule is too big and you have to get it into your gut in large enough quantities to cause a true autoimmune reaction. From my own experience, this has been true for me and my doctor thinks I am doing a fabulous job so I have stopped worrying about it.

As for dog and cat food....any high quality, non-grain food will not contain gluten. I have had pets all my life and have NEVER had a problem handling their food, even when some may have contained gluten. Then again, I don't share their food! ;)

I think the concern with most people is not that it is absorbed through the skin but that the handling or use of gluten items will ultimately lead to injestion because it gets on your hands, etc. and finds it way to your mouth. If you are hypersensitive I think this is a legitimate concern.

larry mac Enthusiast
I think the concern with most people is not that it is absorbed through the skin but that the handling or use of gluten items will ultimately lead to injestion because it gets on your hands, etc. and finds it way to your mouth. If you are hypersensitive I think this is a legitimate concern.

Yes, I agree. if you are hypersensitive, or have DH, by all means take extreme measures to absolutely avoid any and all gluten exposure. For the rest of the majority of non-DH and non-hypersensitive Celiacs, if you take care to wash your hands after handling non-powdered gluten, such as dog biscuits, bread, etc. which of course I do, I just don't see it as being a deal breaker. I'm just not going to create needless drama for myself. I've got enough as it is.

best regards, lm

dksart Apprentice

....but, if you want puppy kisses.......

larry mac Enthusiast

If it's alright for my beloved wife, who doesn't have Celiac disease, it's alright for my dog, who doesn't have Celiac disease.

Actually, our dog food doesn't contain wheat, but we do give her fruit loops and other wheat containing treats.

best regrads, lm

p.s., Do dogs also have to have the Celiac genes?

larry mac Enthusiast
I have been reacting again lately and I can't figure out why. I wondered if it was from handeling the dog and cat treats. Is that possible?

I took some advil Equate brand. Can that cause a reaction?

I just noticed this post was made in the DH section. I just click on "new active posts" or something like that when I get on the forum. And don't really pay any attention to what section they are made in. Sorry about that. I probably shouldn't be responding about the DH posts since I don't know that much about it.

best regards, lm

krisb Contributor

I thought that DH can react through lotions and soaps?

Well, mine is still acting up and I really can't figure out why,

dksart Apprentice

When we first brought our dog to the vet for his bleeding paw pads, he knew almost immediately that it was probably wheat in the dog food. My vet says that dogs shouldn't have MOST grains, it's not a natural part of their diet and many of them react to it. It showed up in our dog as a wheat allergy (his paws itch so bad that he bites them until they bleed,) but some develop an intolerance which causes celiac like symptoms such as joint pain, fatigue and digestive distress.

AndrewNYC Explorer

I can only eat plain, rice or corn based dog treats. I tend to avoid bacon flavored, ham flavored, etc. I think lots of artificial flavorings contain gluten, and even though they are quite tasty in a dog biscuit, not worth the trouble later on.

Archived