This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Exsessive Mucus?

glutenfreegirl

glutenfreegirl Enthusiast

Ok so has anyone else ha this problem or should i see if it is something else..since going gluten free I have had a lot of thick mucus in my chest well more like in my throat near where your adams apple would be if I had one and maybe even a little further down anyway it is gross and I cannot seem to get it out it is very thick I also have alot of mucus from the nose area too always blowing my nose and i think it is draining down my throat is what is happening?? does anyone else have this or this totally not realated??

I was going to try something called flor essence from the health food store has anyone tried this??

actually maybe I will post a question just about that

ok thank in advance for any guidance here

hugs to all

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenWrangler Contributor

Honestly it doesn't seem like it's Celiac related. Sometimes Celiacs have chronic sinus infections, which you could be dealing with, but it's also in your chest. Have you had any respiratory infections recently, like a cold or flu? By recently I mean even in the past couple months. Mucus can linger for very long periods of time after respiratory infections.

My second thought would be allergies. But usually allergies don't create such thick mucus. Do you know what color the mucus is? If it's anything but clear, it usually indicates infection. You should see your doctor and have some tests run if it continues to bother you. But I highly doubt this is directly caused by Celiac Disease. Good luck.

-Brian

gfp Enthusiast

Sorry, I can sympathize but have yet to find the cause.

I have had this for years.... it is HORRIBLE... I retch every morning trying to clean my teeth.

I'm constantly bunged up and excess mucus...

I use salt dissolved in boiling water and then left to cool which alleviates the problems but doesn nothing to cure them.

I use an old spray dispenser (which contained allergy nose spray) to deliver it....

My Dr. has had me on ... antibiotics (which takes a lot to get me to take)... followed by anti fungals ....

Things seem to clear up for a week or so only to come back....

Its exhausting.... I don't think unless somepne has experienced this for months on end they can even guess how fatiguing it is...

My Dr. did suggest a MRI to look for polyps. I have yet to do this.

samcarter Contributor

I would suspect a sinus/respiratory infection. i have had many and it's possible that you had one lingering before going off gluten, but the gluten symptoms covered it up. Or finally your body is fighting it (mucus is often the "dead soldiers"--white blood cells--that have been fighting the infection). Get thee to a doctor.

RiceGuy Collaborator

I think it's called phlegm. Here's a link to some info about how to get rid of it:

Open Original Shared Link

gfp Enthusiast
I think it's called phlegm. Here's a link to some info about how to get rid of it:

Open Original Shared Link

I've done ALL of that.. and it just keeps coming back!

RiceGuy Collaborator
I've done ALL of that.. and it just keeps coming back!

Seems to me, that this would indicate an ongoing infection, no?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jenny (AZ via TX) Enthusiast

Ok, I know this is going to sound disgusting, but taking about 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and mix with water (I mix it with about a 1/2 cup apple juice because I gag with just water). The apple cider vinegar thins the mucous and really helps. I used to feel like a had something sitting in my throat and it was worse when I would lie down. That feeling is gone! I also used to have chronic sinus infections and post nasal drip. All of that is much better now. I did it everyday 3 times a day religiously and now only do it every so often. It also helps give your body the right PH balance. There is a website (hope I don't get one of those lame advertisement things) earthclinicdotcom.

It really helped me. It may be worth trying. :P

• 4 years later...
alexis1222 Newbie

Have you been tested for H.Pylori? its a pretty common bacterial infection of the gut that sometimes causes excess acid/mucus

• 2 weeks later...
archaeo in FL Apprentice

Environmental allergens cause your body to produce excessive amounts of mucous (which causes rhinitis, or a runny nose, and other problems).

I would get tested for allergies. I was on allergy shots for three years and they have helped TREMENDOUSLY. I used to carry around a tissue all the time for a runny nose, now only when I'm sick or if the allergens are really bad. You might be able to treat allergies with Rx or even over the counter stuff.

I also use something called Mucinex. Haven't had to since going gluten-free, so I'd need to check that, but it helps dislodge mucous. It's only a short-term fix, but it helps a lot if I think I'm getting a sinus infection. Clears me out and usually clears everything up!

Archived