18 replies to this topic

#16 cdford

cdford

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 10:08 PM

Soy seems to only be a problem for those with a specific allergy or neurological problems associated with the celiac. Those with neuropathy should avoid the soy like the plague since the doc says many of the recent studies are pointing to soy as the culprit.

For me, soy was harder to avoid than the gluten. I had to rethink my whole diet AGAIN. Suddenly all those gluten-free chinese style meals I had been cooking at home were out. It had been such an easy way to stick to simple veggies and keep my weight under control. The soy problem also meant cutting out the few candies I allowed in my diet. Many of the gluten-free foods also contain soy.

Now that it is done, it is just like before. I made the adjustment and am doing much better.
Donna
South Georgia
9 yrs gluten-free
...also DH, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, osteopenia, hypothyroid...

After almost 10 years, I am doing soooo much better!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 mela14

mela14

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 05:44 AM

Unfortunately, Soy is a big NO-NO for me too! along with nuts, eggs and dairy! I was not diagnosed until a few months ago but the problems has been going on for more than 15 years! I guess as the damage was getting worse I became intolerant to a lot of other things. I have noticed that food colorings in medciations are also problematic as well as many preservatives. I avoid as much as I can and sometimes something still gets in there which sets me back and is difficult to deal with physically and emotionally. I am hoping that once there is some healing done to my intestines that I will be able to tolerate SOME of those other things....just to be able to have a greater variety of foods.
Soooooooooooo for now chocolate is out....and keeping it simple is in!
Mel
mela14@optonline.net

10 years of abdominal problems, incorrectly diagnosed with Endometriosis / suffered 7 surgeries. Total hysterectomy 2 years ago!
Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue, Interstitial Cystitis ,IBS, Migraines, Primary Immune Deficiency to name a few. Finally realizing that food intolerances make them all worse!

#18 cdford

cdford

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 11:22 PM

Mel, I hope you find the same thing that many of us have found...over time your immune system gets its act together and you don't react to as many things other than the gluten. After two years, we are down to just a couple of things outside gluten that cause any significant problem. Just don't try them too quickly. Allow your body time to really heal before you risk any other complications. You will probably wind up realizing you didn't react when you got into something you did not realize was in a dish and go Wow, I didn't get so sick. Let's hope it works that way anyhow.
Donna
South Georgia
9 yrs gluten-free
...also DH, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, osteopenia, hypothyroid...

After almost 10 years, I am doing soooo much better!

#19 mela14

mela14

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 12:11 PM

Donna,

from your mouth to God's ears...........I am trying so hard and watching what I eat. it has to pay off in the long run. I guess it is just too soon.
I went to a neighbor's house for dinner last night. She know's I have dietary restrictions and I have eaten there before with no problem. She asked if I could eat pork and I said yes....just plain....nothing on it.
Well, she had prepared pork shishkebobs....and they looked great but she said that she had them marinating all day in italian salad dressing(bottled)!! I had a mild anxiety attack and kicked my hubby under the table. I got the courage up to tell her I couldn't eat it. She said to wash it off before we BBQ'd it.....I was still freaking out . I ran it under the water for like 5 minutes and was stressing the whole time. Finally I told her that marinating all day problably went into the meat and that I shouldn't eat it but I was sure it was good. I ran home and defrosted piece of chicken and borught it there to BBQ along with white rice. Then sahe said that she made white rice but added chicken broth for flavor just for me! OH well.........I was ready to just drop. In the end the dinner was nice but it was the first time I had confronted something like this. usually when I say simple or plain...nothing on it..I have food allergies people get it.
Appetizers were whole wheat crackers with marinated chopped mushroom spread and mixed salted nuts!!
Of course I didn't eat them. What a night!
But I survived!
Mel
mela14@optonline.net

10 years of abdominal problems, incorrectly diagnosed with Endometriosis / suffered 7 surgeries. Total hysterectomy 2 years ago!
Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue, Interstitial Cystitis ,IBS, Migraines, Primary Immune Deficiency to name a few. Finally realizing that food intolerances make them all worse!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: