red blotchy face

Get sick very easy

always tired

leg cramps

irritable

depression

headaches

can't sleep

I had both my gall bladder and appendix removed because of severe stomach pains. I have had an intestinal blockage and a gastric bypass also.

i was tested today for celiac disease by my request and will be going to Duke Hospital in NC on Thursday to see a Hematologist because of the anemia.

In your opinion does this sound like it could be celiac disease to you??

Ads by Google:

Your symptoms fit, it's great you have been tested, you will soon know for sure. Celiac's are foten diagnosed with several other issues before the link to celiac is even thought about. I wish they would think of it first, rule it out, then go on...that would make things so much easier.

Good luck with your tests!

Sounds like a good possibility. Do remember that AFTER you have done all the testing you desire to do that no matter what the results you should do a dietary trial of the diet to see if it helps. This should be done no matter what the test results say, there are many false negatives on testing so do give the diet a shot. Just be sure to wait until after testing is done to try as the gluten-free diet will impact the testing results. The diet will not effect test results for any disorders other than celiac so if they tell you the celiac tests were negative you have nothing to lose with the trial but the pain.

Thank you. I have started to already look into a gluten free diet. Once I have been tested ,and if I am positive my son has been tested, then my family is going gluten free no matter what.

I just ate a bagel and 5 minutes after I ate I was in the bathroom. Since I started to pay attention to what I eat, I notice that this happens a lot after I eat foods that are high in gluten.

Should have my blood results back tomorrow or Friday.

Just an FYI...only 30 percent of people with celiac get a positive test. Dr. Peter Green states this in CELIAC DISEASE A HIDDEN EPIDEMIC. Granted the book is twenty years old but I don't think things have changed much. People thought that Celiac disease was a rare disease but I think it's just rarely diagnosed. I recently went to a dinner and three people sitting at my table alone all had Celiac disease. What are the odds of that? I believe it's really gotten to epidemic proprotions but I guess that's another subject altogether.

Just an FYI...only 30 percent of people with celiac get a positive test. Dr. Peter Green states this in CELIAC DISEASE A HIDDEN EPIDEMIC. Granted the book is twenty years old but I don't think things have changed much. People thought that Celiac disease was a rare disease but I think it's just rarely diagnosed. I recently went to a dinner and three people sitting at my table alone all had Celiac disease. What are the odds of that? I believe it's really gotten to epidemic proprotions but I guess that's another subject altogether.

FYI, The Op hasn't been on this forum in 3 years

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Congratuations!   You and 30% of the population carries the genes to potentially develop celiac disease.  A gene test just excludes celiac disease but can not diagnose it.   Have you been on a gluten free diet?  Is that why you were not able to take the standard celiac blood test?  
    • Back to Dr. Google for you!   A histamine intolerance is not a true IGE mediated allergic reaction.  Read up!  It does often (like many intolerances) occur with celiac disease because the small intestine is damaged.  It can resolve once the gut has healed.   celiac disease antibodies can take time to build up (in your blood stream for the test or skin).   That's why the gluten challenge is 8 to 12 weeks.  In the case of DH, you can eat something and days or weeks later, the DH rash will appear and you'll go crazy trying to figure out when you got "glutened" (but don't take any serious gluten advice from me because I don't have it).   You can have several things wrong with you and a wheat allergy and celiac disease can occur at the same time.  Add on something like Mast Cell Activation, Autoimmune Hives, Histamine Intolerance.......the list can be endless (at least that is how some of us feel.)  Of course your high school could be making you ill.  Think of all that stress!  Who knows what lurks in your building, but let's face it, you ate some gluten.  Best of luck to you on your challenge!  
    • Hi, I need help understanding these results please. Can anyone help me.  DQ2.5 (HLA1*05 DQB1*0201 AND OTHER NON-RISK ALLELES CATEGORY# 4 DQ GENOTYPE: DQ2 HETEROZYGEOUS INCREASED RISK: 10X RELATIVE RISK: HIGH My doctor is out on vacation from now until the end of August and I couldn't get an appointment until the end of September.  
    • Ugh!  So, you have early stages of celiac disease and that was after being gluten light?  It is a shame that your doctor is not comfortable about giving you a formal diagnosis because you don't have enough damage!  Time for a new GI.  You can also as for another pathologist to read your biopsies, but seriously....... Have a conversation with your current doctor about the reasons why he is hesitating.  He would rather you continue to become more ill or improve your health?   Are you going to be scarred for life with a celiac disease diagnosis? Maybe he is one of those people who think it is impossible to live with wheat, rye or barley!   I don't get it! 
    • Thanks for the comments. With Dr. Google, I have seen mast cell disorder pop up.  It seems like I need to eliminate some basics before heading in that direction. So, another question...is it possible that symptoms of celiac need time to "build up" over time? For instance,  I started reintroducing gluten and coffee last week to prepare for my GI appt.  However, nothing really seemed to happen except a little knee crankyness (which I can easily attribute to hiking).  Yet, yesterday I had a huge bagel at work, had itchy forearms, and then had two huge hives appear later.  Today, I had another bagel and in a few hours I had a few red fingers that were itchy and numb feeling in the tips.   I know histamine intolerance is a possibility, but wouldn't that show up as an extremely large hive with my allergy skin test? Also, I had to go into work today and yesterday. I'm wondering if that environment could contribute to the issue (I'm a high school teacher).  
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Jashan8534