This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Need Opinions

SAHM2one

SAHM2one Contributor

Here are my symptoms.

Seizures as a child

Anemic since birth

low ferritin

low B12

intestinal bleeds until I had my gastric bypass

severe stomach pains

told I had IBS

told I had fibromyalgia

canker sores

joint pain

red blotchy face

Get sick very easy

always tired

leg cramps

irritable

depression

headaches

can't sleep

I had both my gall bladder and appendix removed because of severe stomach pains. I have had an intestinal blockage and a gastric bypass also.

i was tested today for celiac disease by my request and will be going to Duke Hospital in NC on Thursday to see a Hematologist because of the anemia.

In your opinion does this sound like it could be celiac disease to you??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Your symptoms fit, it's great you have been tested, you will soon know for sure. Celiac's are foten diagnosed with several other issues before the link to celiac is even thought about. I wish they would think of it first, rule it out, then go on...that would make things so much easier.

Good luck with your tests!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Sounds like a good possibility. Do remember that AFTER you have done all the testing you desire to do that no matter what the results you should do a dietary trial of the diet to see if it helps. This should be done no matter what the test results say, there are many false negatives on testing so do give the diet a shot. Just be sure to wait until after testing is done to try as the gluten-free diet will impact the testing results. The diet will not effect test results for any disorders other than celiac so if they tell you the celiac tests were negative you have nothing to lose with the trial but the pain.

SAHM2one Contributor

Thank you. I have started to already look into a gluten free diet. Once I have been tested ,and if I am positive my son has been tested, then my family is going gluten free no matter what.

I just ate a bagel and 5 minutes after I ate I was in the bathroom. Since I started to pay attention to what I eat, I notice that this happens a lot after I eat foods that are high in gluten.

Should have my blood results back tomorrow or Friday.

• 4 years later...
floral Newbie

Just an FYI...only 30 percent of people with celiac get a positive test. Dr. Peter Green states this in CELIAC DISEASE A HIDDEN EPIDEMIC. Granted the book is twenty years old but I don't think things have changed much. People thought that Celiac disease was a rare disease but I think it's just rarely diagnosed. I recently went to a dinner and three people sitting at my table alone all had Celiac disease. What are the odds of that? I believe it's really gotten to epidemic proprotions but I guess that's another subject altogether.

kareng Grand Master

Just an FYI...only 30 percent of people with celiac get a positive test. Dr. Peter Green states this in CELIAC DISEASE A HIDDEN EPIDEMIC. Granted the book is twenty years old but I don't think things have changed much. People thought that Celiac disease was a rare disease but I think it's just rarely diagnosed. I recently went to a dinner and three people sitting at my table alone all had Celiac disease. What are the odds of that? I believe it's really gotten to epidemic proprotions but I guess that's another subject altogether.

FYI, The Op hasn't been on this forum in 3 years

Archived