This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Condensed Soups

Juliebove

Juliebove Rising Star

I am looking for crockpot recipes because daughter will be having back to back dance classes right after school. On those days I need something for the crockpot. So many of the recipes I see call for condensed soup. Alas, given our various allergies, there are no cream soups I can use. I have come up with a mushroom thing I can use in casseroles, but it doesn't taste the same as the cream soups do.

One recipe said you could sub a homemade white sauce for the cream soups. Has anyone ever tried making a white sauce with rice milk? I've tried it with the Dari Free and although it works, it is too sweet for my liking.

If not that, what else would you suggest? I think tomato sauce might work in some things, but for others, I wouldn't want the tomato flavor.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest AutumnE

My mom uses jenny-o meatballs and a sauce I believe that is made out of currant jelly and pizza sauce ( I can get the exact measurements). The taste is phenomenal.

I havent found any condensed soups that I like yet.

sickchick Community Regular

I have used coconut milk with a little cornstarch Sweetie to make cream of mushroom soup! :)

Open Original Shared Link

Juliebove Rising Star
I am looking for crockpot recipes because daughter will be having back to back dance classes right after school. On those days I need something for the crockpot. So many of the recipes I see call for condensed soup. Alas, given our various allergies, there are no cream soups I can use. I have come up with a mushroom thing I can use in casseroles, but it doesn't taste the same as the cream soups do.

One recipe said you could sub a homemade white sauce for the cream soups. Has anyone ever tried making a white sauce with rice milk? I've tried it with the Dari Free and although it works, it is too sweet for my liking.

If not that, what else would you suggest? I think tomato sauce might work in some things, but for others, I wouldn't want the tomato flavor.

Thanks!

I just found that recipe, or a similar one. Am wondering about the meatballs as it says just ground beef and seasoning. Is it possible to make meatballs with no filler or egg? Would be great if so.

I don't think I would ever make that recipe for me with the jelly because I'm diabetic. Probably waaaay more carbs than I need. But maybe with tomato sauce.

ETA: Fiddlesticks. Meant to reply to the meatball reply.

Juliebove Rising Star
My mom uses jenny-o meatballs and a sauce I believe that is made out of currant jelly and pizza sauce ( I can get the exact measurements). The taste is phenomenal.

I havent found any condensed soups that I like yet.

Thanks! I bought coconut milk and couldn't remember what I bought it for.

Guest AutumnE
I just found that recipe, or a similar one. Am wondering about the meatballs as it says just ground beef and seasoning. Is it possible to make meatballs with no filler or egg? Would be great if so.

I don't think I would ever make that recipe for me with the jelly because I'm diabetic. Probably waaaay more carbs than I need. But maybe with tomato sauce.

ETA: Fiddlesticks. Meant to reply to the meatball reply.

Yep the meatballs are wonderful and I called jennie-o to confirm and they are egg, dairy, soy and gluten free with no fillers. I was shocked myself and she said its a new line. I like the italian but would love some other flavors too. They are hard to find unfortunately as I only found one local grocery store that carried them.

Spaghetti sauce is great with it also with pasta or in a soup. They are kinda spicy and my daughter likes to eat them by themselves.

Juliebove Rising Star
Yep the meatballs are wonderful and I called jennie-o to confirm and they are egg, dairy, soy and gluten free with no fillers. I was shocked myself and she said its a new line. I like the italian but would love some other flavors too. They are hard to find unfortunately as I only found one local grocery store that carried them.

Spaghetti sauce is great with it also with pasta or in a soup. They are kinda spicy and my daughter likes to eat them by themselves.

I don't know that I would like turkey though. My few experiences with ground turkey were awful.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

purple Community Regular

Eatting gluten free.com has a recipe called "cream soup base". I use it often esp. for the Rotel King Ranch Chicken Enchiladas from killthegluten.blogspot.com. I add a can of beans to the recipe.

For the base, I mix up a tub to have on hand, then add in onion flakes, garlic flakes, Mrs.Dash, pepper flakes, black pepper, etc. When I make the soup , I use 1/3 cup base, 1/3 cup water and 1 can Swanson broth. Sometimes I add powdered bouillon. You can easily sub the ingredients: vegetable broth, nondairy milk powder, whatever you can use.

For chili, I use tomato sauce and I puree a can of Del Monte Zesty Chili Style tomatoes.

For the best minestrone soup (will post if you want the recipe) I use a can of beef broth, tomato sauce, and pureed Italian flavored tomatoes.

Some people puree beans as a thickener or to add flavor or throw in mashed potato flakes. Just a thought ;)

gfp Enthusiast

I think you are searching for something like "crockpot recipees" ???

Almost by definition these are a lot of 'cheats'.... but most take barely anymore time to make properly.

I make my own soups anyway but for the crockpot/slow cooker there are plenty of recipees...

Last night I had beef bourguignon... (just sub 1/2 rice flour and 1/2 buckwheat flour)....

However you can make lots of recipees and variations.

Here are some examples:

I use Kallo Stock cubes.... (gluten-free) and buy lots of Veg/Beef/Chicken....

You can just make your own variations... why not use meatballs in a beef stew ??? etc.

Juliebove Rising Star
Eatting gluten free.com has a recipe called "cream soup base". I use it often esp. for the Rotel King Ranch Chicken Enchiladas from killthegluten.blogspot.com. I add a can of beans to the recipe.

For the base, I mix up a tub to have on hand, then add in onion flakes, garlic flakes, Mrs.Dash, pepper flakes, black pepper, etc. When I make the soup , I use 1/3 cup base, 1/3 cup water and 1 can Swanson broth. Sometimes I add powdered bouillon. You can easily sub the ingredients: vegetable broth, nondairy milk powder, whatever you can use.

For chili, I use tomato sauce and I puree a can of Del Monte Zesty Chili Style tomatoes.

For the best minestrone soup (will post if you want the recipe) I use a can of beef broth, tomato sauce, and pureed Italian flavored tomatoes.

Some people puree beans as a thickener or to add flavor or throw in mashed potato flakes. Just a thought ;)

I looked but didn't see the recipe. She does use dairy though and we can't have that.

Juliebove Rising Star
I think you are searching for something like "crockpot recipees" ???

Almost by definition these are a lot of 'cheats'.... but most take barely anymore time to make properly.

I make my own soups anyway but for the crockpot/slow cooker there are plenty of recipees...

Last night I had beef bourguignon... (just sub 1/2 rice flour and 1/2 buckwheat flour)....

However you can make lots of recipees and variations.

Here are some examples:

I use Kallo Stock cubes.... (gluten-free) and buy lots of Veg/Beef/Chicken....

You can just make your own variations... why not use meatballs in a beef stew ??? etc.

I am not looking for soup recipes per se. I can easily make soup in a crockpot. That doesn't require a recipe for me. The problem is, I keep running across a lot of casserole type recipes that look good, but require a can or more of condensed soup as the sauce. And we are allergic to all of the condensed soups.

One recipe said you could use a homemade white sauce instead of the soup, but we can't have cream or even soy milk. So I was wondering if a white sauce could be made using rice milk?

purple Community Regular
I looked but didn't see the recipe. She does use dairy though and we can't have that.

eatingglutenfree.com

homepage

recipes

soups

cream soup base

Do you click in that order? I don't know how to get to it directly (Sweetfudge might know ;) ). Our health food store has 3 non dairy dry milk powder substitutes. I am holding out to find Vance's Dairy Free, someone suggested it on another post, but haven't found any yet.

Juliebove Rising Star
eatingglutenfree.com

homepage

recipes

soups

cream soup base

Do you click in that order? I don't know how to get to it directly (Sweetfudge might know ;) ). Our health food store has 3 non dairy dry milk powder substitutes. I am holding out to find Vance's Dairy Free, someone suggested it on another post, but haven't found any yet.

Okay, now I found it. But it calls for dry milk powder and we can't have that. The only faux milk powder I can find is the Vance's Dari free and IMO it is horrible in savory dishes. Far too sweet. I don't even use it any more because I quit baking sweets. They never came out very well.

purple Community Regular
Okay, now I found it. But it calls for dry milk powder and we can't have that. The only faux milk powder I can find is the Vance's Dari free and IMO it is horrible in savory dishes. Far too sweet. I don't even use it any more because I quit baking sweets. They never came out very well.

Couldn't you just use broth or rice milk and the cream soup base but leave out the milk powder if you can't find a different alternative? Wouldn't it be like a white sauce that way? Have you tried Better Than Milk? I think its a rice milk powder, our store doesn't have it. <_< Anyone else have any ideas???

Cheri A Contributor

Julie, I think we avoid a lot of the same things. It is really frustrating not to be able to just dump a can of soup! I'm always looking for things that don't use soup. However, I have made the following recipe for a couple of dishes. It is a basic thickened white sauce. My family liked it with the Tater Tot casserole I make sometimes. I haven't used it in the crockpot yet though. I do play with the spices.

3T. oil or margarine (we use Fleishmann's)

3T. gluten-free flour blend

1/3 tsp. salt

1/3 tsp. pepper

1 1/4 cups broth

Basic Creamed Soup: Melt oil/margarine in saucepan. Stir in flour and seasonings. Cook over medium heat until bubbly. Add liquid slowly, stirring with whisk to get rid of lumps. Cook until thick.

Tomato: use tomato juice for the liquid. Add dashes of garlic, onion powder, basil, oregano

Mushroom: saute 1/4 c. chopped mushrooms/celery/chives and 1 T. minced onion in butter before adding flour.

Makes 1 cup or equivalent of condensed soup.

Juliebove Rising Star
Couldn't you just use broth or rice milk and the cream soup base but leave out the milk powder if you can't find a different alternative? Wouldn't it be like a white sauce that way? Have you tried Better Than Milk? I think its a rice milk powder, our store doesn't have it. <_< Anyone else have any ideas???

Never heard of Better Than Milk. But I just looked it up and it's soy which we can't have. I can't see how I could get a white sauce without some kind of milk in it. I suppose I could use broth sometimes, but that wouldn't necessarily give me the right flavor. But thanks!

Juliebove Rising Star
Julie, I think we avoid a lot of the same things. It is really frustrating not to be able to just dump a can of soup! I'm always looking for things that don't use soup. However, I have made the following recipe for a couple of dishes. It is a basic thickened white sauce. My family liked it with the Tater Tot casserole I make sometimes. I haven't used it in the crockpot yet though. I do play with the spices.

3T. oil or margarine (we use Fleishmann's)

3T. gluten-free flour blend

1/3 tsp. salt

1/3 tsp. pepper

1 1/4 cups broth

Basic Creamed Soup: Melt oil/margarine in saucepan. Stir in flour and seasonings. Cook over medium heat until bubbly. Add liquid slowly, stirring with whisk to get rid of lumps. Cook until thick.

Tomato: use tomato juice for the liquid. Add dashes of garlic, onion powder, basil, oregano

Mushroom: saute 1/4 c. chopped mushrooms/celery/chives and 1 T. minced onion in butter before adding flour.

Makes 1 cup or equivalent of condensed soup.

Thanks! I will try that. I was using rice milk to make the mushroom stuff but it just didn't have the right thickness to it.

gfp Enthusiast
One recipe said you could use a homemade white sauce instead of the soup, but we can't have cream or even soy milk. So I was wondering if a white sauce could be made using rice milk?

If all you want is the consistency then you can just make a roux from corn starch or rice flour. Both are bland and won't alter the taste much.

I didn't think you were specifically looking for condensed soup recipes, just that google searches for "crockpot recipe" tend to be dominated by this kind of quick recipe.

Instead of this I was thinking that you look through the recipes that use condensed soups and then do a search on that recipe ..... turn it on its head so to speak...

I'm currently in a pokey appt with a tiny fridge and even smaller freezer compartment..... BUT.. wat I used to do is make up soups and then freeze half or more (sometimes at different stages).... so if I was making a chicken and vegetable soup I'd make a chicken stock but freeze half.... then make a vegetable stock and say veg to add and freeze half.... then at the end also freeze half the chicken and veg soup as well....

I find this quite efficient because of the effort is almost the same and if you need tinned ingredients (like tinned tomatoes) ... you can use full tins and if you add large vegetables you are not contrained by the size of each one... but also because it gives a huge stock of pre-prepared food ....

If I want to make a quick beef casserole then I can add the vegetable soup as a quick base.... while its defrosting you can make for instance some meatballs from ground beef (with or without the leftovers of the last gluten-free loaf) ... throw in a can of tomatoes and some herbs and you have meatballs in a rich nutritious base.

but you can use the same soup base, add chicken and leeks and make a chicken and leek soup....

Sweetfudge Community Regular

eatingglutenfree.com

homepage

recipes

soups

cream soup base

Ok, have their cook book right next to me! The cream of mushroom soup isn't on the website, but here's my variation of it:

Cream of Mushroom Soup

1 3-oz can of mushrooms, or fresh chopped mushrooms

1 1/2 tsp beef bullion (or omit and sub 1/2 the milk for beef broth. i've also made this accidentally with chicken broth, and it was great in tuna casserole)

1 c milk (i really liked almond milk in this)

2 tbsp butter (i have also used EVOO with no problem)

2 tbsp featherlight flour mix

1/8 tsp salt

dash pepper

(i also like to add a dash of onion powder)

Melt butter (or heat oil) over medium heat. Stir in flour and seasonings. Continue to stir until slightly browned.

The recipe calls for the mushrooms to be added last, but I like to throw them in here right after the flour is browned, and let them cook for a couple minutes.

Dissolve bullion in milk (or just add milk and broth) and stir into pan, whisking to avoid lumps. Stir until sauce is thickened and starting to boil. Add mushrooms here if you didn't already. Remove from heat.

One other thing I like to do is to pour everything into a blender, and blend until smooth.

Can be used to replace 1 can of condensed soup in recipes.

I have found this recipe tastes the most like what I remember mushroom soup to be like. It's a lot thinner. But I think that's the lack of milk. And I usually guess with the measurements, and probably add too much liquid. When I first was diagnosed w/ Celiac disease, I was terrified to make gravy. But thanks to this recipe, and the Rachael Ray show, I overcame that :) Now it's just a matter of substituting for all the other intolerances that I'm finding in myself (first dairy, then soy... :angry: )

Anyway, here you are. I like to make several batches of this at once, and once it's cooled, I will pour it into ziploc bags and freeze it.

ALSO, here's a recipe for cream of mushroom soup in the crockpot if that's what you're looking for. I've tried it and I thought it was pretty good. A little more partial to the other one though. Made some of this one, and hubby asked if I had made "healthy beef stroganoff". May have been from the lack of dairy in it though. Anyway, here you are:

Juliebove Rising Star
Ok, have their cook book right next to me! The cream of mushroom soup isn't on the website, but here's my variation of it:

Cream of Mushroom Soup

1 3-oz can of mushrooms, or fresh chopped mushrooms

1 1/2 tsp beef bullion (or omit and sub 1/2 the milk for beef broth. i've also made this accidentally with chicken broth, and it was great in tuna casserole)

1 c milk (i really liked almond milk in this)

2 tbsp butter (i have also used EVOO with no problem)

2 tbsp featherlight flour mix

1/8 tsp salt

dash pepper

(i also like to add a dash of onion powder)

Melt butter (or heat oil) over medium heat. Stir in flour and seasonings. Continue to stir until slightly browned.

The recipe calls for the mushrooms to be added last, but I like to throw them in here right after the flour is browned, and let them cook for a couple minutes.

Dissolve bullion in milk (or just add milk and broth) and stir into pan, whisking to avoid lumps. Stir until sauce is thickened and starting to boil. Add mushrooms here if you didn't already. Remove from heat.

One other thing I like to do is to pour everything into a blender, and blend until smooth.

Can be used to replace 1 can of condensed soup in recipes.

I have found this recipe tastes the most like what I remember mushroom soup to be like. It's a lot thinner. But I think that's the lack of milk. And I usually guess with the measurements, and probably add too much liquid. When I first was diagnosed w/ Celiac disease, I was terrified to make gravy. But thanks to this recipe, and the Rachael Ray show, I overcame that :) Now it's just a matter of substituting for all the other intolerances that I'm finding in myself (first dairy, then soy... :angry: )

Anyway, here you are. I like to make several batches of this at once, and once it's cooled, I will pour it into ziploc bags and freeze it.

ALSO, here's a recipe for cream of mushroom soup in the crockpot if that's what you're looking for. I've tried it and I thought it was pretty good. A little more partial to the other one though. Made some of this one, and hubby asked if I had made "healthy beef stroganoff". May have been from the lack of dairy in it though. Anyway, here you are:

Thanks, but can't have dairy or almonds.

Sweetfudge Community Regular

hm, i've heard hemp milk is good. i have also used rice milk before to make the soup, but can't remember if it tasted any different, so i didn't mention it. i'd give it a try though :)

purple Community Regular
hm, i've heard hemp milk is good. i have also used rice milk before to make the soup, but can't remember if it tasted any different, so i didn't mention it. i'd give it a try though :)

I just read that hemp milk is thicker and creamier than rice milk and has Omegas.

Karina uses it as a sub for dairy in many recipes, it thickens like a dream and she uses Living Harvest Brand.

I have never heard of that brand before but I want it try it for smoothies.

Juliebove Rising Star
I just read that hemp milk is thicker and creamier than rice milk and has Omegas.

Karina uses it as a sub for dairy in many recipes, it thickens like a dream and she uses Living Harvest Brand.

I have never heard of that brand before but I want it try it for smoothies.

I can't use hemp either. Husband is in the military and they're not allowed to have it.

purple Community Regular

Juliebove,

I feel bad that you have so many difficult allergies to find subs for.

Can you use hazelnut, oat or potato milk? My grandma used to make the gravy with the boiled potato water. I remember her saying that it gives the gravy a good flavor. You could use potato water (get it as thick as you like it)or some potato flakes I bet, for any creamed soup mix sub. ;) Just toss in the other goodies with it. It would be easy too.

I found another recipe if you can sub the powdered milk. The web site may also help you with finding subs for your other allergies :)

go to:

recipes

soup recipes

cream soup mix

FYI

this might help someone that can't have dairy but can have almond: In Cooking Free by Carol Fenster(great book for anyone allergic to gluten, dairy, eggs, and sugar), you can sub almond flour for dry milk powder or nondairy milk powder. She states it under the Pizza Mix recipe. And she says to use the same amount of almond flour (finely ground blanched almonds) for the dry milk powder, for browning baked goods stated under dairy subs.

Carol lists these brands for a nondairy milk powder sub:

Solait, Better Than Milk, English Bay, Vance's DariFree

some are available in both soy and rice forms

Bette Hagman lists:

Lacto-Free for the lactose intolerant (soy)

Tofu White (soy)

NutQuik (almonds)

Powdered baby formula: Isomil, ProSobee, Nursoy (all soy based)

Pregestimil (corn based)

(my dd wants to be a vegan/gluten-free so I have been checking into what I can use for her, she is not allergic...yet) I am learning so much ...thanks to everyone on this forum!!!

Auntie Lurlynn Newbie

Here's what my mom and I do:

Take a tablespoon or two of butter (we really don't measure), melt it in a sauce pan, add enough flour (we use rice or Pamela's baking mix) to soak up the melted butter. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly, add mushrooms, chicken broth, etc. to desired amount. Let thicken to diesired constistancy.

Last night we made cream of mushroom soup using this recipe. If you don't like whole mushrooms, but still want the taste, puree the mushrooms with a little bit of milk inthe blender.

Archived