6 replies to this topic

#1 LDJofDenver

LDJofDenver

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 12:43 PM

I not only bruise easily, but the skin on my forearms seems very fragile. (I'm mid-50s, not mid 70s!)
I barely bump anything and instead of bruising, I get these (I don't know what they're called...) hematomas -blood blisters? - instead of bruises. Bubble of blood wells up under my skin at the point of contact - skin doesn't even have to break.

My doctor did test me for Vitamin K deficiency, following my diagnosis for Celiac Disease, but it came back normal (PT was 9.1 seconds, INR 0.9 ?). I'm guessing, then, that it must be the skin itself and maybe the layers and/or subcutaneous fat that has thinned/deteriorated.

Anyone else experienced this? Or responded to vitamin A creams or anything?
Diagnosed 8-8-08 (I think I'll remember that date!)
Positive blood panel
Endoscopy a little later on confirmed, via Small Intestine Biopsy
Adult son diagnosed Celiac in his late 20s
Suspect my Mother undiagnosed Celiac

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 01:27 PM

I not only bruise easily, but the skin on my forearms seems very fragile. (I'm mid-50s, not mid 70s!)
I barely bump anything and instead of bruising, I get these (I don't know what they're called...) hematomas -blood blisters? - instead of bruises. Bubble of blood wells up under my skin at the point of contact - skin doesn't even have to break.

My doctor did test me for Vitamin K deficiency, following my diagnosis for Celiac Disease, but it came back normal (PT was 9.1 seconds, INR 0.9 ?). I'm guessing, then, that it must be the skin itself and maybe the layers and/or subcutaneous fat that has thinned/deteriorated.

Anyone else experienced this? Or responded to vitamin A creams or anything?

Sounds like you are describing me. I am mid-60's and my skin is so tissue-paper thin I feel that some day it might not even be able to hold me together :lol: I constantly have these red raspberries on my hands and arms--most of the time I don't even know how I got them. Mine started while I was taking Plaquenil for my psoriatic arthritis, and this med is known to aggravate skin conditions, but this is ridiculous. No medical practitioner seems to have any advice as to what to do about it. I asked my dermatologist about a cream I saw advertised, and he said "don't waste your money."

The other very annoying part about it is, if I catch the skin on a sharp edge it just peels back from my arm in a thin sheet. I can usually pull it back and get it to stick and reattach; most of the time I don't even go to the doc's office any more, just take care of it myself. I have a huge stock of big dressings to put over them.

Sorry I don't have any answers for you.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 MaryJones2

MaryJones2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 05:10 PM

My father was the same way. His skin was SO thin and he always had bandaids and bruises on his arms. My skin also feels very thin and I bruise too easily when I am glutened. I am sure gluten is related somehow because it only happens in the weeks right after I am exposed to gluten. Once I feel better my skins seems to thicken up and my bruises go away.

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years

#4 LDJofDenver

LDJofDenver

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 06:21 AM

My skin also feels very thin and I bruise too easily when I am glutened. I am sure gluten is related somehow because it only happens in the weeks right after I am exposed to gluten. Once I feel better my skins seems to thicken up and my bruises go away.

Well, hopefully it will improve, now that I am gluten free. I just wondered if others experienced it due to gluten intolerance.

I have seen it on folks in their 70s, my Mom is 78 and she has things like that, but I'm more than 20 years younger than that and it began in late 40s. My former Doctor told me to eat blueberries (that's helpful isn't it?) -- that's the same doctor that failed to connect pins & needles sensations, continual gut and bowel problems, queasy all the time, hungry right after eating, headaches and migraines, low triglycerides, osteopenia, fatigue, sores inside mouth, allergies, including rashes that I just got on my knees (he asked me what I was kneeling down on)
-- all that and the fact that I had shingles 3 times in less than 2 years (was the body just screaming IMMUNE SYSTEM PROBLEM HERE?).

Oh well, now I know what is going on and it all makes sense. I can begin to heal.
Diagnosed 8-8-08 (I think I'll remember that date!)
Positive blood panel
Endoscopy a little later on confirmed, via Small Intestine Biopsy
Adult son diagnosed Celiac in his late 20s
Suspect my Mother undiagnosed Celiac

#5 Yellow Rose

Yellow Rose

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 08:41 PM

I was getting those raspberries all the time and my Dr. put me on Vit D 50000 ut once every two weeks and Folic Acid 1mg twice a day and Vit C 500mg once a day and they have dissappeared. My brusies are finally going away as well and my skin is not peeling at the slightest bump and is thickening up. I have been taking them for 3 months now.
27 years of misdiognoses
seziures summer of 1979 lasted 10 years had maybe a dozen in that time Dr.s never could find what was causing them blamed it on lack of sleep and maybe nutrasweet
rheumatoid arthritis May 1980
wrist joint replacement Jan 1984
fibromyalgia May 1980
insomnia since the 80's
diarrhea 1995-2000 blamed on arthritis meds
Crohn's 1998 after two operations to fix fissures caused by the diarrhea
Other symptons over the last 27 years that have been treated for symptoms not causes:
depression, anemia, constipation, tooth discoloration, tremors in hands, tingling and numbness in feet and hands, fatigue, high blood pressure due to arthritus meds, flushing in face, severe muscle pain and thinking I was going crazy thanks to Dr.'s attitudes.

After diognoses my mother tells me I have an aunt and a cousin with Celiac. Mother tested negative but thinks she is intolerant to wheat and is changing her diet.
Suspect all three of my children have it as well but still trying to convince them to go get tested.

In answer to my prayer, "Lord Please Heal My Broken Body". May 2007 Celiac antibody test positive
Matthew 7: 8 Ask and ye shall receive, Seek and ye shall find, Knock and it shall be opened unto you.

#6 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 10:41 AM

I was getting those raspberries all the time and my Dr. put me on Vit D 50000 ut once every two weeks and Folic Acid 1mg twice a day and Vit C 500mg once a day and they have dissappeared. My brusies are finally going away as well and my skin is not peeling at the slightest bump and is thickening up. I have been taking them for 3 months now.

Wow, that is amazing!! I will take this info to my doc when I get back home.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 Generic

Generic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 02:12 PM

When the skin just peels back, it is called a skin tear. This is very common with older people that are in nursing homes. My mom was a nurse and worked in the homes for years. She said the skin tears started showing up after the homes started switching to all that pre-fabbed garbage they like to call food. (Just add water, etc.)

She believes it is from poor nutriotion and/or all the preservatives in the "food".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: