28 replies to this topic

#1 SamAlexPesk

SamAlexPesk

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 05:26 PM

I went to Red Robin tonight, and was so happy to hear they had a gluten free menu. Though I was slightly disappointed when I saw the menu, it was more like list of random items they have there that are gluten free. Luckily my waitress was VERY helpful and double checked other items on the real menu for me. The poppy seed honey mustard dressing ended up being gluten free..it was AWESOME!! :D I got the bacon cheeseburger with pesto instead of mayo..that was also great! Plus they have endless steak fries!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly

Moved to SO CA in November 2010

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 08:06 PM

at the one i went to in Exton PA.....the ff was dedicated but hat soy in the cooking oil.
might not be a problem for u however.
Judy
Judy in Southern CA

#3 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 06:46 AM

RR is one of our "treat" restaurants, but always always check regarding the french fries, not all locations have gluten-free friers!! We've never been glutened there (at any location) and the staff is always nothing but wonderful with my kids.

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

#4 phightin phils

phightin phils

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 12:43 PM

We've always enjoyed Red Robins, other than the one in Southgate, MI near Detroit. After we were sat at a table, a manager told us that they are a franchise separate from corporate RR, and get their supplies from different vendors and couldn't guarantee gluten-free items. We decided to go to an Outback instead. The RR's in PA have all been great though.

BTW, my wife, who is the celiac in the family, absolutely loved Giulio's in Livonia, MI. She says it was her best gluten-free dining experience ever. We may visit Detroit again just for Giulio's pasta.

#5 Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 06:09 PM

RR is one of our "treat" restaurants, but always always check regarding the french fries, not all locations have gluten-free friers!! We've never been glutened there (at any location) and the staff is always nothing but wonderful with my kids.

your right .......it's a great chain
the Exton PA one has a long thread on here about it
Educated the Manager and he hung my Trump dining card to took in the kitchen.
then he left and when we went back......they were not as helpful with info but........still nice and tried to help

We've always enjoyed Red Robins, other than the one in Southgate, MI near Detroit. After we were sat at a table, a manager told us that they are a franchise separate from corporate RR, and get their supplies from different vendors and couldn't guarantee gluten-free items. We decided to go to an Outback instead. The RR's in PA have all been great though.

BTW, my wife, who is the celiac in the family, absolutely loved Giulio's in Livonia, MI. She says it was her best gluten-free dining experience ever. We may visit Detroit again just for Giulio's pasta.

great point..........
the franchise's are like 'Russian Roulette.'
We based a Easter dinner trip to eat at a franchinse and were unable to call ahead.
the manager refused to serve me and so i had a glass of wine hubby took his dinner and we ate in the parking lot as the manager was so un pleasent.
wrote corporate and they were so nice and appologitic and sent me a free dinner for 2 in Exton.

I think if you find a good one........they can't be beat.
great place to take the kidos
judy
Judy in Southern CA

#6 Pearia

Pearia

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 04:54 PM

Love Red Robin. I have been at locations from coast to coast never had a problem. I just order a burger on a plate no bun and enjoy!

#7 Sweetfudge

Sweetfudge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 07:40 PM

I went to Red Robin tonight, and was so happy to hear they had a gluten free menu. Though I was slightly disappointed when I saw the menu, it was more like list of random items they have there that are gluten free. Luckily my waitress was VERY helpful and double checked other items on the real menu for me. The poppy seed honey mustard dressing ended up being gluten free..it was AWESOME!! :D I got the bacon cheeseburger with pesto instead of mayo..that was also great! Plus they have endless steak fries!!

glad you had a good experience!

yeah, the one in provo, ut does not have a dedicated fryer :angry: neither is their service really that great. it's my husband's favorite place to go, so i try to endure it, but eating a cobb salad with italian dressing (from home) gets pretty boring. i've tried the bunless burgers, but without fries, it's just a piece of meat dipped in ketchup. i've tried their fajitas, the meat's pretty good, but i have to bring my own corn tortillas, and it's awfully expensive when all i eat is the meat (sensitive to beans and peppers, and DF). so i pretty much stick to the cobb, minus the bleu cheese and bread (which they SOMETIMES remember to do...).
maybe someday ;)
Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT
Gluten-free since June 2006
Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991
Dairy-free for good since summer 2008
Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008
Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(
Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

#8 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 08:13 AM

RR has revamped their menu and now none of the appetizers are gluten-free. Disappointing, but be aware when you go.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#9 one more mile

one more mile

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:31 AM

Dickson city ,pa near Scranton, pa

Red Robin -- I was traveling and just needed a warm meal. They are new about this but fast to please. The manager took over my order. He said they had a dedicated fryer but made my fries in fresh oil " just in case."
After I ate he came to ask me how the meal was. He was a younger guy so there is much hope for the future!

I had the grilled chicken on a salad. skipped the dressing. I was very impressed with their service.
one problem was though that they sat me near the kitchen and my face started itching. I suspet that this happens when I am near flour. It happens some times in the bakery part of a grocery and most times I go in to a dunkin doughnuts.
( I seem to be able to drink a Coffee Coolattaź but not the frozen coffe from sheetz that does have gluten for sure.)

one more mile

#10 lonewolf

lonewolf

Gluten Free pancakes over the fire!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 07:55 AM

We just went to Red Robin and I was a bit frustrated. (What's new for trying to eat out. ;) ) I had a chicken burger wrapped in lettuce leaves, which was actually good. But the server came out before our order went through to double check on the "allergy" note. She said that the manager said that there is gluten in the salt that they use. I looked at the ingredients, which looked fine (it's a seasoning salt) and it only said at the bottom that it contained soy, which was listed. Can't figure out why it would contain gluten though, since nothing looked suspicious. So, I didn't eat the fries anyway. I went to another RR once before and was told that the fries were fine and didn't have a reaction. Apparently they haven't changed the formula for their salt, but one place says it has gluten in it and another place says it's fine.

Anyone know anything about this?
Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

#11 Tim-n-VA

Tim-n-VA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 08:01 AM

I've occasionally ran into people who thought celiacs shouldn't have soy. I think the most logical explanation is that many brands of soy sauce do have wheat. If all you have is a list of igredients to avoid you might think soy sauce implies all soy.

#12 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 08:09 AM

I also ate at the Dickson City Red Robin- I have family in that area. I always had great service and the staff was always helpful as well. It is always so reassuring when the staff wants to help you instead of acting like you are a burden!

I also had many good services at the Hershey PA Red Robin. We picked that place for many work birthdays :)
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#13 Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 08:24 AM

last I ck'd the ingred of their seasonings it did have soy, which i can't have but thing they told me to avoid the seasoning.
Usually they will cook some separate in oil just for you
I think i posted on the RR thread a while ago on the gluten free list.
will ck the main web site and post if i find anything.
Remember each chain seems to be different.
if you find a good one...stick with it........trouble comes when traveling.
judy
Judy in Southern CA

#14 Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 08:36 AM

here is a good link

http://www.redrobin...... Menu9-08.pdf

Judy
Judy in Southern CA

#15 MNBeth

MNBeth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 02:35 PM

We've been to the Red Robin in Shoreview, MN, 3-4 times, now. Every time before this, the manager has checked and assured us that nothing but fries has been in the relevant fryer. This time, the manager present also said that, but added that the fryer was right next to the other fryers, and that they couldn't guarantee that crumbs from the other fryer baskets might not drop into the fries fryer. I totally appreciated her very thorough honesty - it's the first time anyone's mentioned that. But what a bummer! Even though we haven't gotten sick there before, I don't feel safe eating their fries any more. :-( It had been our go-to place for a fries fix, so I'm sorry to lose the option.

Never thought I'd be looking at buying a deep fryer, but I think I'm headed in that direction.

(I don't get the seasoning thing, either. Looks gluten-free, but we've steered clear to be safe.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: