This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Red Robin!

SamAlexPesk

SamAlexPesk Rookie

I went to Red Robin tonight, and was so happy to hear they had a gluten free menu. Though I was slightly disappointed when I saw the menu, it was more like list of random items they have there that are gluten free. Luckily my waitress was VERY helpful and double checked other items on the real menu for me. The poppy seed honey mustard dressing ended up being gluten free..it was AWESOME!! :D I got the bacon cheeseburger with pesto instead of mayo..that was also great! Plus they have endless steak fries!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

at the one i went to in Exton PA.....the ff was dedicated but hat soy in the cooking oil.

might not be a problem for u however.

Judy

celiac-mommy Collaborator

RR is one of our "treat" restaurants, but always always check regarding the french fries, not all locations have gluten-free friers!! We've never been glutened there (at any location) and the staff is always nothing but wonderful with my kids.

phightin phils Rookie

We've always enjoyed Red Robins, other than the one in Southgate, MI near Detroit. After we were sat at a table, a manager told us that they are a franchise separate from corporate RR, and get their supplies from different vendors and couldn't guarantee gluten-free items. We decided to go to an Outback instead. The RR's in PA have all been great though.

BTW, my wife, who is the celiac in the family, absolutely loved Giulio's in Livonia, MI. She says it was her best gluten-free dining experience ever. We may visit Detroit again just for Giulio's pasta.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
RR is one of our "treat" restaurants, but always always check regarding the french fries, not all locations have gluten-free friers!! We've never been glutened there (at any location) and the staff is always nothing but wonderful with my kids.

your right .......it's a great chain

the Exton PA one has a long thread on here about it

Educated the Manager and he hung my Trump dining card to took in the kitchen.

then he left and when we went back......they were not as helpful with info but........still nice and tried to help

We've always enjoyed Red Robins, other than the one in Southgate, MI near Detroit. After we were sat at a table, a manager told us that they are a franchise separate from corporate RR, and get their supplies from different vendors and couldn't guarantee gluten-free items. We decided to go to an Outback instead. The RR's in PA have all been great though.

BTW, my wife, who is the celiac in the family, absolutely loved Giulio's in Livonia, MI. She says it was her best gluten-free dining experience ever. We may visit Detroit again just for Giulio's pasta.

great point..........

the franchise's are like 'Russian Roulette.'

We based a Easter dinner trip to eat at a franchinse and were unable to call ahead.

the manager refused to serve me and so i had a glass of wine hubby took his dinner and we ate in the parking lot as the manager was so un pleasent.

wrote corporate and they were so nice and appologitic and sent me a free dinner for 2 in Exton.

I think if you find a good one........they can't be beat.

great place to take the kidos

judy

Pearia Newbie

Love Red Robin. I have been at locations from coast to coast never had a problem. I just order a burger on a plate no bun and enjoy!

Sweetfudge Community Regular
I went to Red Robin tonight, and was so happy to hear they had a gluten free menu. Though I was slightly disappointed when I saw the menu, it was more like list of random items they have there that are gluten free. Luckily my waitress was VERY helpful and double checked other items on the real menu for me. The poppy seed honey mustard dressing ended up being gluten free..it was AWESOME!! :D I got the bacon cheeseburger with pesto instead of mayo..that was also great! Plus they have endless steak fries!!

glad you had a good experience!

yeah, the one in provo, ut does not have a dedicated fryer :angry: neither is their service really that great. it's my husband's favorite place to go, so i try to endure it, but eating a cobb salad with italian dressing (from home) gets pretty boring. i've tried the bunless burgers, but without fries, it's just a piece of meat dipped in ketchup. i've tried their fajitas, the meat's pretty good, but i have to bring my own corn tortillas, and it's awfully expensive when all i eat is the meat (sensitive to beans and peppers, and DF). so i pretty much stick to the cobb, minus the bleu cheese and bread (which they SOMETIMES remember to do...).

maybe someday ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

RR has revamped their menu and now none of the appetizers are gluten-free. Disappointing, but be aware when you go.

• 2 weeks later...
one more mile Contributor

Dickson city ,pa near Scranton, pa

Red Robin -- I was traveling and just needed a warm meal. They are new about this but fast to please. The manager took over my order. He said they had a dedicated fryer but made my fries in fresh oil " just in case."

After I ate he came to ask me how the meal was. He was a younger guy so there is much hope for the future!

I had the grilled chicken on a salad. skipped the dressing. I was very impressed with their service.

one problem was though that they sat me near the kitchen and my face started itching. I suspet that this happens when I am near flour. It happens some times in the bakery part of a grocery and most times I go in to a dunkin doughnuts.

( I seem to be able to drink a Coffee Coolatta

lonewolf Collaborator

We just went to Red Robin and I was a bit frustrated. (What's new for trying to eat out. ;) ) I had a chicken burger wrapped in lettuce leaves, which was actually good. But the server came out before our order went through to double check on the "allergy" note. She said that the manager said that there is gluten in the salt that they use. I looked at the ingredients, which looked fine (it's a seasoning salt) and it only said at the bottom that it contained soy, which was listed. Can't figure out why it would contain gluten though, since nothing looked suspicious. So, I didn't eat the fries anyway. I went to another RR once before and was told that the fries were fine and didn't have a reaction. Apparently they haven't changed the formula for their salt, but one place says it has gluten in it and another place says it's fine.

Anyone know anything about this?

Tim-n-VA Contributor

I've occasionally ran into people who thought celiacs shouldn't have soy. I think the most logical explanation is that many brands of soy sauce do have wheat. If all you have is a list of igredients to avoid you might think soy sauce implies all soy.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I also ate at the Dickson City Red Robin- I have family in that area. I always had great service and the staff was always helpful as well. It is always so reassuring when the staff wants to help you instead of acting like you are a burden!

I also had many good services at the Hershey PA Red Robin. We picked that place for many work birthdays :)

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

last I ck'd the ingred of their seasonings it did have soy, which i can't have but thing they told me to avoid the seasoning.

Usually they will cook some separate in oil just for you

I think i posted on the RR thread a while ago on the gluten free list.

will ck the main web site and post if i find anything.

Remember each chain seems to be different.

if you find a good one...stick with it........trouble comes when traveling.

judy

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

here is a good link

Open Original Shared Link

Judy

• 2 weeks later...
MNBeth Explorer

We've been to the Red Robin in Shoreview, MN, 3-4 times, now. Every time before this, the manager has checked and assured us that nothing but fries has been in the relevant fryer. This time, the manager present also said that, but added that the fryer was right next to the other fryers, and that they couldn't guarantee that crumbs from the other fryer baskets might not drop into the fries fryer. I totally appreciated her very thorough honesty - it's the first time anyone's mentioned that. But what a bummer! Even though we haven't gotten sick there before, I don't feel safe eating their fries any more. :-( It had been our go-to place for a fries fix, so I'm sorry to lose the option.

Never thought I'd be looking at buying a deep fryer, but I think I'm headed in that direction.

(I don't get the seasoning thing, either. Looks gluten-free, but we've steered clear to be safe.)

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

the manager at my Red Robbin kept some oil just for me w/o soy..........and when he'd see me he'd say 'I'll put the oil on for YOUR fries"

wrote to corp and told them how great he was............then he left...........

even emailed me to tell me he'd left.

Haven't been back since but have to share how some folks will go the extra mile.

always helps to have some good stories and i agree that the manager you talked was nice to share that with you.

Judy

lizard00 Enthusiast

Yeah, the one here in Raleigh, NC advises to avoid the seasoning on the fries as well. I read over the salt on the table, and thought it to be fine, but if they tell me to avoid it, I do. Perhaps they use a different seasoning when they prepare them as what is on the table??? I don't know, just a thought. Didn't make much sense to me either.

one more mile Contributor
Yeah, the one here in Raleigh, NC advises to avoid the seasoning on the fries as well. I read over the salt on the table, and thought it to be fine, but if they tell me to avoid it, I do. Perhaps they use a different seasoning when they prepare them as what is on the table??? I don't know, just a thought. Didn't make much sense to me either.

I think I am just going to start carrying old bay in my purse, lol It is gluten free. I called the 8oo number and am over joyed. lol

• 1 month later...
Juliebove Rising Star

We ate at the one in Woodinville tonight. Could not get into the new one in Bothell. They've been packed.

We had the lettuce wrapped burgers with the fries on the side. I really could have done without that seasoning. Yuck! There was a canister of it on the table so I could see what it had in it. Not something I would want to eat. Next time (if there is a next time) I will tell them to leave it off. I did tell them to leave the cheese off the burgers and they didn't. Had to send them back.

I found the burger very hard to eat and not very tasty. The burger was cooked until it was hard and it was very dry. Also found the prices to be quite high for what we got. Could have gotten the same type of burger at a fast food place, but perhaps without the lettuce wrap and also a comparable salad for a lot less money.

Daughter liked it though and I guess that's the main thing.

• 3 weeks later...
Juliebove Rising Star

We finally were able to go to the Bothell location. Never again!

The place was packed, although not to the point of people spilling outside. Were told it would be a 15 minute wait but was more like 2 minutes.

Waitress came quickly to take our order. Daughter had a milkshake and I had a Diet Coke. We got those right away. Once again there was a ton of ice in the glass and precious little drink.

We both ordered the same thing. Lettuce wrapped burgers with no cheese and fries instead of salad. No seasoning on the fries. Seemed simple enough.

Waitress came back and offered us some fries. I turned them down. But then I noticed that everyone around us had fries and nobody had thier food yet.

Table next to us finally got food, but the wrong thing. Lady got fries instead of onion rings and they forgot her tartar sauce. She had to ask FOUR times for it. Finally got it.

Waitress came to bring me another drink. I told her we would take the fries if we could get them with no seasoning. She said, "No problem", but we never got them. Was feeling ill. I am a diabetic and had shot my insulin. I needed to eat. Was considering eating some ketchup but was sickened by the fact that at another table, a toddler opened the ketchup, put it in her mouth, and then put the salt and pepper shakers in her mouth. A boy was also busily ripping up the little signs on the table. Nobody was paying attention to them.

Finally some food arrived. Two veggie burgers with fries. When I said we didn't order that, the waiter insisted we had because that's what our waitress wrote down. I told him I would never order veggie burgers and tried to tell him what we HAD ordered but he wouldn't listen. Ran off. Then said our order would be right out.

Drink refilled again.

Finally more food arrived. This time, lettuce wrapped veggie burgers! Now had I known what was in the veggie burgers and it was something we could eat, I would have just taken them. But I don't know what is in them besides soy and we avoid soy. It messes with my thyroid and daughter was previously allergic so we must limit it. I insisted that we did NOT order veggie burgers but again, I was told that is what the waitress wrote down. I was like... I don't CARE what she wrote down. I KNOW what we ordered!

Manager came over. At least I assume she was a manager. Wanted to know exactly what we ordered. Said we would get it and there would be no charge for the meal. That part was nice, but the waiting nearly two hours was not. Daughter was almost late for dance class and was not feeling well by that time because she didn't have a chance to let the food settle before she had to dance.

If we do ever go back, it will be to the one in Woodinville. But I am not looking forward to going back. We can get a similar meal at Shari's for less money and although they can be slow and forget things, like straws and extra napkins, they haven't yet screwed up our food.

Jestgar Rising Star

Thanks for the critique. We used to go to the RR in Silverdale all the time, but then they changed management. My partner always orders the buffalo wings and they were raw every time. We stopped going about three months ago. Still haven't found a new "regular" place (which really sucks when you want a low stress place to go!).

StrongerToday Enthusiast

I go to the AnnArbor/Ypsi, MI, RR and *LOVE* it (in fact, going Friday and looking forward to it!), but yes I LOVE LOVE LOVE :D gulio's!! My favorite place to go, hands down.

emcmaster Collaborator

Red Robin is one of our staples, too. It is one of the only restaurants that I can count on with any sort of confidence.

Be sure to ask for an updated gluten-free menu and keep checking the website, though. About a year and a half ago, the ranch dressing and Red Robin seasoning (which is on their fries and burger patties unless you request them to leave it off) was gluten-free and now it's not. No wonder I got sick every.single.time we went for months on end. We finally tried it again after a 6 month hiatus and discovered that they'd changed their suppliers and I'd not checked the updated menu! (It's been several months now since I discovered the updated gluten-free items).

photobabe42 Newbie

Went to the Red Robin in Beavercreek, Ohio yesterday after my sister and mom insisted that we now only eat at places with published gluten-free menus or food lists. They are so sweet! Well, I gotta tell you, I was impressed.

Hostess provided their menu covering all eight allergens, and actually had suggestions of what other gluten-free folks have liked. Waitress. Christine, told me their fryer was dedicated and said the cooks clean the grill as often as needed/requested and would be happy to do so for me. I ordered a grilled chicken salad that had egg and bacon on it, with the creamy caesar dressing that is on the gluten-free menu and melon slices on the side. Delicious! I also loved that the waitress did not "hover" over us and we had a nice relaxing meal with everyone enjoying what they ordered. I took both a comment card and the manager's business card so that I can write a nice thank-you note about Christine. I felt like they do take ALL allergies seriously and I think I am very comfortable going there again.

Three cheers for Red Robin! I should mention I make a point of not going to any chain restaurant at peak dining hours, I feel that my needs get better attention that way. At least, it makes me feel better! I'm trying the salmon burger next!

• 1 year later...
GottaSki Mentor

Hi All-

I'm purchasing gift cards from school fund-raiser and saw that Red Robin is one of the restaurants -- I remember seeing a post not too long ago that Red Robin does a good job with their gluten free menu.

Just wanted to check if anyone has recent experience - good or bad - as until today, I didn't know we had Red Robin here in San Diego :P

Thanks!

Archived