This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

It's Not The End Of The World.

lsmall05

lsmall05 Newbie

I'm here to tell you that Celiac disease is not the end of the world! Some people on here sound like they are dying, and sure, I'm sure they are worse off than me.

Maybe you were recently diagnosed? Well its important to know that there is a very wide spectrum of symptoms and tolerance levels. I for one, am not sick all the time and was only sick for 3 months before my diagnosis. I don't worry about what touched my food, just what is in it, and especially large quantities. Don't get me wrong, if it says contains wheat I usually avoid it. But I came to find out that a friend of mine was feeding me some cheese sauce that had some "All-purpose flour" in it... I hadn't a clue, didn't feel a thing.

So, maybe you'll be lucky like me and your Celiac is a mild case. Life won't be too bad. Follow the gluten-free diet and live happy, things could be much worse.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
*lee-lee* Enthusiast

i worry about ingesting gluten and having it damage my insides. it's not always about the physical, symptomatic reaction. i read somewhere that 1/8 teaspoon of flour is enough to do damage. so why go through all the effort to avoid large quantities of gluten if the small amounts are harming you too?

some people have suffered for years so to them it IS a big deal. consider yourself lucky to only have a "mild case".

NorthernElf Enthusiast

Nice to see such a positive attitude about all this. However, do keep in mind that some folks just look at wheat and get sick, LOL. Seriously, we do have to allow ourselves to feel upset about this. I'm good most of the time - hey, the celiac diet can be very healthy. However, I have my days where I'm choked about it all and get a bit down - usually when I travel and have a hard time finding something safe to eat, or I screw up and feel ill.

I'm not sure which is worse - having mild symptoms and (ignorance is bliss ?) not knowing how much damage you are doing to your intestinal tract OR being sensitive and reacting to small amounts and therefore avoiding it very carefully and possibly protecting your intestinal tract better.

I truly hope you don't develop more sensitivity to gluten. I did - now it doesn't take much to affect me (pretty much any gluten). Keep in mind too that when a person is feeling down & out or ill - that's when they are more likely to post and look for answers, such as what they ate or who else has similar symptoms.

My way of dealing with the bad feelings is to remind myself that there are so many things that are worse out there. Gosh, I have a condition that forces me to eat healthy (ok, and can be expensive and take time to figure out what food is safe). Many conditions cannot be "fixed" with simple diet avoidance. I mean, I had aches & pains, fatigue, stomach cramps and D, headaches, etc. - simply avoiding gluten cures it ? Wow - if only it could be so "easy" for other illnesses.

gfp Enthusiast
I'm here to tell you that Celiac disease is not the end of the world! Some people on here sound like they are dying, and sure, I'm sure they are worse off than me.

Maybe you were recently diagnosed? Well its important to know that there is a very wide spectrum of symptoms and tolerance levels. I for one, am not sick all the time and was only sick for 3 months before my diagnosis. I don't worry about what touched my food, just what is in it, and especially large quantities. Don't get me wrong, if it says contains wheat I usually avoid it. But I came to find out that a friend of mine was feeding me some cheese sauce that had some "All-purpose flour" in it... I hadn't a clue, didn't feel a thing.

So, maybe you'll be lucky like me and your Celiac is a mild case. Life won't be too bad. Follow the gluten-free diet and live happy, things could be much worse.

Not feeling a thing means nothing.

My aunt said the same thing for 50 years about smoking until she developed emphasaema.

Can you provide scientific evidence about

Well its important to know that there is a very wide spectrum of symptoms and tolerance levels.

Before encouraging others to play Russian roulette with their health I would encourage you to do some reading.

If after doing this you wish, like my aunt to disregard scientific research and continue to damage yourself then that is your own personal decision however you should not encourage others to endanger their health and life.

gfp Enthusiast
i worry about ingesting gluten and having it damage my insides. it's not always about the physical, symptomatic reaction. i read somewhere that 1/8 teaspoon of flour is enough to do damage. so why go through all the effort to avoid large quantities of gluten if the small amounts are harming you too?

some people have suffered for years so to them it IS a big deal. consider yourself lucky to only have a "mild case".

It is clinically proven that 10mg/day is enough to do damage.

celiac-mommy Collaborator

I also think that this is a great place for people to come and talk about any frustrations, bad days, hard times, etc... (as well as all the happy stuff) because unless you are living in the trenches of this everyday of your life, you can't possibly understand what they're going thru. This is a great place to get that support and understanding from your peers who 'get it'

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Having celiac isn't the end of the world...finding out we have it, is a new beginning for many of us. Some of us get very ill, and to be honest, we are the lucky ones! We DO NOT feel ignorance is bliss, we definitely do not eat gluten for the best reason...we want to live a long life. I would much prefer knowing I was glutened over not realizing it!

I came to find out that a friend of mine was feeding me some cheese sauce that had some "All-purpose flour" in it... I hadn't a clue, didn't feel a thing.

So, maybe you'll be lucky like me and your Celiac is a mild case.

There is no "mild case" of celiac. That's like saying you are a "little bit" pregnant. You either are pregnant or you arent, you are gluten free and doing the best you can to stay that way, or you don't really care about your health. If you are celiac, you can't eat the cheese your friend has been feeding you, it doesn't matter if you feel it or not. The damage is still being done. Is the risk of cancer not scary enough for you???

I worry more about people who feel like you, and people, like you, who tell other's it's ok to eat small amounts of gluten. You are doing everyone a great disservice by saying those things. When you are a celiac/gluten intolerant, it is never ok to eat a little gluten. GLUTEN IS POISON TO US.

You are right, it's not the end of the world, especially for those of us who do everything we can to stay totally gluten free, if we complain a little, it's probably because we aren't feeling well and we need some support. That's what a forum is for. I feel very sorry for you, you just don't get it!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Poggy Newbie
:) I was diagnosed in April having lost weight and feeling reallly in in general . I was diagnosed with cancer of the colon at the same time. I have since had an operation whitch was successful and am on a gluten free diet.My stomach feels better than it has for years . It was all very confusing to me at first but im getting my head around it now.Im just very happy to be alive and feeling good. It doesnt feel that bad any more.
ravenwoodglass Mentor
:) I was diagnosed in April having lost weight and feeling reallly in in general . I was diagnosed with cancer of the colon at the same time. I have since had an operation whitch was successful and am on a gluten free diet.My stomach feels better than it has for years . It was all very confusing to me at first but im getting my head around it now.Im just very happy to be alive and feeling good. It doesnt feel that bad any more.

Poggy,

Welcome to the board. I am glad the operation was successfull and that you are feeling well. You found a great place for any info or support you may need or want to give.

kbtoyssni Contributor
There is no "mild case" of celiac. That's like saying you are a "little bit" pregnant. You either are pregnant or you arent, you are gluten free and doing the best you can to stay that way, or you don't really care about your health. If you are celiac, you can't eat the cheese your friend has been feeding you, it doesn't matter if you feel it or not. The damage is still being done. Is the risk of cancer not scary enough for you???

Speaking of being just a little bit pregnant... I was watching a commerical the other day that said "wouldn't you want to know if you're a little bit pregnant? Take our test because it can detect pregnancy earlier than other tests!" I had to laugh because of the "little bit pregnant" wording! You either are or you aren't! Ok, back to the topic at hand...

It's important to note that internal damage and outward symptoms are not the same thing. Yes, there are lucky ones who don't get very outwardly sick when gluten is ingested, but the lack of symptoms does not mean no damage. I am one of those lucky ones who doesn't get very sick from gluten. Because of my lack of outward symptoms I sometimes don't realize I'm getting glutened. If I accidentally eat a product that contains gluten several days in a row, I eventually start getting very tired, my joints and muscles ache. Damage does occur each time I ingest gluten, but it often takes several glutenings for my symptoms to get bad enough to realize it's gluten.

You are right that this isn't the end of the world, though. Follow a gluten-free diet (including watching for CC), and you will be healthier and live a longer life. For me, I avoid gluten, and I get to do whatever I want with my life. If I continued to eat gluten I would be lying in bed all day getting government disability checks. So for me it's an easy choice. Giving up bread and pasta isn't the end of the world, but giving up my life is.

GFinDC Veteran

You may have what the doctors call "silent celiac". This is when a person has the condition but has no GI symptoms. I think quite a few people have silent celiac, and don't know it. They sometimes find out when they go to the doctor for one of the associated diseases that can pop up suddenly. And then they find out they have celiac. If these people had known about their celiac in the first place, and followed the diet, they may have avoided the associated disease.

It is amazing that such a simple thing as changing what a person eats can make so big an improvement in their health. Following the diet is not all that difficult once you get used to it. gluten-free certainly can be a better, healthier diet also, compared to what most people eat. Plus they have gluten-free beer in the stores now!

VioletBlue Contributor

Yeah, there are worse things. But there are days when it doesn't seem that way. It sucks to walk into the produce department and know nearly half of what's there I can't eat because of allergies and intolerances. Allergies that are probably a result of leaky gut which is a result of Celiacs. I'd love to be able to eat a salad again with peppers and tomatoes in it, or make eggplant Parmesan. I had a terrible craving for french fries last night. I would have given anything to have had them with the cheeseburger and nice toasted tapioca bun. I'd love to be able to handle bird food and special diet dog food without worrying. I'd love to be able to eat worry free in a restaurant; any restaurant. The list goes on.

I'm thrilled that Celiacs has treated you so kindly. But please understand it has not been that kind to all of us. Walking into the produce department is, many times, a sober reminder of that for me. After 44 years of eating anything, it is still hard over a year and a half later to see what I can't have. Likewise, there are people here who may cringe walking by the dairy aisle or everytime they see the egg display.

Damn, I still want a french fry . . . covered in ketchup

ShayFL Enthusiast

Violet....I make delicious fries out of sweet potatoes....yummy!! Cut like fries, sprinkle with sea salt and pepper....drizzle with olive oil and bake at 350 until starting to turn brown. :)

Eric-C Enthusiast

I'll add my two cents.

There are some on here where this is a true hardship...if I had to watch every little thing I do, toothpaste, shampoo, walking past the bakery isle, then that truly is tough to do.

However for the majority of us...I think people whine too much about it.

Come on, its not THAT hard. We've had a gluten free diet for over a year now and we love every single thing we eat. Part of the problem is Gluten substitute food sucks...I don't care what mix of flava beans and rice you use to make your bread, its not wheat, doesn't taste like wheat, and never will be wheat. Thats most people's problem I feel they are looking to eat the same way with subs for what they were eating.

The stuff sucks...seriously...wheat free bread, pizza dough, bagels, etc, its all horrible tasting in comparison to true real bread. Rice pasta is about the only thing that comes close to the original.

Try something different, try something new!

We eat so much of a wider variety of food its unbelievable. I don't miss a single thing. Try Sushi with Tamari...try Indian food. I always suggest Indian food because people are as used to texture as they are flavor. Indian curry sauces have the same consistency as a flour based sauce but the majority of their food is wheat/gluten free.

Learn to enjoy some different spices. Tumeric, Garam Masala, Corriander, etc...don't go based off the crappy curry dish you had 6 years ago and swore off Indian for good.

I get that all the time, "I hate curry"....thats a ignorant statement. Curry means spice, its like saying you hate salt in English. Most people don't realize that good Indian food has a hint of cinammon and some great texture.

My wife makes some awesome Tandori Chicken skewers with pineapple...very hot and very sweet at the same time.

Drop the sugar a bit, pick up on the fat and enjoy all the stuff that is out there.

I have HORRIBLE reactions to gluten. I spent my Saturday night in unbelievable pain in the bathroom...Some artificial crab has wheat in it. We tried a new sushi place and I forgot to ask for real crab since the place we normally goes knows me and just makes it that way for me.

I miss nothing. We eat healthier and really enjoy the food. Walked totally away from flour/wheat.

Here is a recipe for those who don't care for Indian food, its a good starter recipe and has been a bit Americanized. Goto an Indian grocery store to get the spices. Grocery stores murder you on spices. For what you get 4oz of in a Grocery store @ $6.00 you can buy 16oz for $2 and its the real stuff.

For Indian Chicken Curry taking from a Williams Sonoma Cookbook:

2 teaspoons each Corriander and Cummin seads

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon ground tumeric

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

2 table spoons canola oil(must be canola, olive oil screws up the flavor of Indian food)

1 lb boneless chicken

1/4 cup unsalted cashews

1 large yellow onion(we use Vadalia's)

2 small tomatoes(use Roma's, incredibly sweet, if you don't use Roma's I can't tell you how this will turn out)

2 tblspoons butter or substitute, we use Olivio

3 gloves garlic minced

1 tablespoon peeled and minced fresh garlic(make it fresh!)

1 teaspoon seeded and minced green jalepeno

2 bay leaves

2 star anise(if you choose, we skip this)

1 small container of Coconut yogurt...they call for 1/2 cup of Coconut milk but the yogurt tastes the same and is way lower in fat

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

1 tablespoon chopped cilantro

For the seed part we just gring it up. We buy a lot of Indian spices whole and then use a small coffee grinder to make them into powder.

Take the corriander and cummin with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and toast in a small pan. We use a very small iron skillet. Just put the three items in dry and cook over heat until they turn a darker shade of brown.

Once toasted combine that mixture along with the tumeric, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and canola oil. Mix until very well blended. Cut the chicken into small .75-1 inch cubes.

Add the chicken to the bowl and mix until the chicken is covered evenly. Cover the bowl and let sit for at least 1 hour...personally we let it sit overnight it makes the flavor much better.

When ready to make the dish put the cashews on a cookie sheet and toast in the over for about 20 minutes on 400. Remove and lightly grind, set aside.

Thinly slice the onion. Cut the tomatoes in half crosswise and remove the seeds, then chop. In a saute pan heat the butter. Add the onion and cook until they begin to soften about 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, chile, and bay leaf. Continue to saute for 5-7 minutes until the onion is turning brown.

Now add the chicken and saute until the meat turns opaque on the outside, it will finish cooking later. The pan will most likely be sticky and look like its burning on the bottom if its stainless steel, don't worry. Add the tomatoes and cook for about 2 minutes. The juice from the tomato will clean up the pan.

Turn down the heat and add the coconut yogurt,mix well. Add the remaining 1/2 teaspoot salt and cover on simmer for 20 minutes.

Stir occasionally, you should have a nice yellow sauce that smells great :)

After the 20 minutes add the lemon juice and cook uncovered for another 5 minutes. Add in the cilantro and cashews and serve over Basmati Rice.

If you've never made Basmati rice its a dish on its own. Before preparing the meal assuming your cooking for 2 which this meal really serves 3 place 1 cup of Basmati rice in a large pan will water. The water level should be several times the level of the rice. 1 cup will cover the bottom of a 2 quart pan and fill it about 1/2 way with water.

Basmati is the easiest rice in the world to make but its important it sit in water for an hour to bring out the flavor.

Bring the water to a boil and just boil it for about 7-10 minutes until its texture is just slightly firm. It goes from slightly firm to mush quickly so watch it carefully.

Let it drain and I always turn it over in a colander to get the moisture out.

Put the two together and eat.

Totally gluten free and if you like this its the tip of the iceberg. Put down the cardboard pizza substitutes and try something new :)

Not only is the food good but its a very aromatic and relaxing smell to the food. Its light and pleasing and your house won't smell like House of Curry.

ShayFL Enthusiast

It wasnt THAT BAD for me either. I have been eating healthy whole foods for years (15 or so). I just dropped the wheat/barley/rye. The later two I rarely ate.

I love eating out. But I also love to cook.

I think the hardest thing for a lot of people are the ones who are very sensitive to CC and those of us who have MULTIPLE sensitivities.

For instance in your recipe I cannot have the tomatoes. Nor can I eat rice. I dont come in here and whine though because I look at every challenge as an opportunity to learn and grow.

I actually made curry today in the crock pot. The chicken was sooooo tender. It was a coconut milk base (not tomato). Since I dont do well with grains, I served it over steamed cauliflower. It was delicious.

I ended the meal with a grain free spice cake (that rivals any gluten ones I have ever had).

People in general want EASY. It is the way our society is structured now. If you cant have it delivered, pick it up or microwave it, then it just seems TOO DIFFICULT. But I dont think it is kind to criticize these people. LEARNING isnt an easy thing. Not everyone knows how to cook. And some can cook but they arent very good at it. Even following a recipe it just doenst taste good. We have friends like this. She cooks food. It smells good......but tastes BAD. She uses good organic ingredients. She just has NO TALENT for cooking. It was a relief for me to be able to take my own food to their house. ;)

Anyway......dont be hard on the people who whine. That is EXACTLY what this forum is for. And over time those whiners get on with it. And many stick around to help others.

NicoleAJ Enthusiast

I understand that people fall on both sides of this issue. Sometimes you might come here looking to have your spirits lifted with positive thoughts, and on worse days, you might just want to vent.

However, lsmall05, there is no reason to take such a hostile tone in your post if you hope to raise the optimism on the board. If you have a low thresh hold for reading others' venting sessions, then just make an effort to read more selectively. "It's not the end of the world for those of you who think it is" followed by criticism of people on the board who are occasionally down about the challenges they face is not the way to get people to think more positively. You get out of this board what you put into it, so if some here have gotten a bit sensitive about your posting, it is because of the negative attitude with which it was submitted.

Eric-C Enthusiast

I wasn't trying to be mean.

I think some people use their problems as crutches.

I have had every single symptom posted on here except obviously the female ones and the rate I was going I'm sure that would have shown up too :)

I have been down the bottom, the very bottom...I was told I had eschemia of the bowel, its not pretty.

Not everyone but I think too many people get caught up in their problems. Their disease becomes a crutch...and I'm saying this from my own experience. I cannot tell you how many times I thought I couldn't eat this or couldn't eat that.

I though potatoes were my problem and carrots were my savior.

This disease and its effects pile on top of one another, fix the root and the others may fix themselves.

Three years ago my knee's had so much pain I could barely walk from the car to see the therapist who promptly told me I most likely had arthritis of the knee's at 33. A year later being mostly gluten free I walked 4-5 miles a day through Disney with my wife.

Again I'm not saying this as someone outside looking in but I swear some of these sigs look like competitions to see who is in worse shape.

The mind is a powerful thing to make you sick or better. Me getting better not only had to do with dropping the gluten but also holding onto those moments where I felt good and building on them from an hour, to two hours, to 1/2 a day, to a whole day, to a week, etc.

I say a lot of this again from experience. 4 weeks ago I was in the emergency room, blind in one eye! I'm thinking how many times is this crap going to happen. Doctor told me all kind of bad news at the ER. My doc told me opthomolic migraine...too much cognac the night before, not enough water, and a light sinus headache all caused a bit of eye screweyness.

I drank a ton of water and am all better. Seemed like the end of the world at the time.

Now you wanna know the odd part...the day before I read an article on opthomolic migraines...

I'm guilty of it myself but sometimes if you think it, it can happen...all the stress and worry about every single little thing is taking a huge toll on your body.

I see people on here post about a single reaction and everyone is stuffing them full of chemicals and telling them don't eat anything.

A positive attitude and addressing the root of problems will alleviate a lot of others.

My biggest remedy when I was REALLY sicky, for like 3-4 months with panic attacks, uncontrollable shaking of my hands, arms, couldn't sleep, etc....a night out with the wife and our neighbors with a drink or two.

I forgot for a bit all the crap that was wrong and realized I was doing a majority of this to myself. I can't speak for anyone else but I'd bet there is a fair share on here who do the same.

I solve problems for a living...I look at situations as a whole, from the outside, and take a point by point approach. The answer will be there somewhere. Its taken me years to figuire this all out.

I'd love to help people do the same but you can't think that everthing you put in your mouth is going to make your intenstines fall onto the ground.

Humor is a big part of it...I hear it all day at work how good the donuts are, how good the bagels are...my responses are not appropriate for the forum :)

7 years ago before I knew I had this whole gluten thing I was sick for nearly a year....I sat around and did nothing. I felt like crap all the time, my wife and I went out sometime, every 2nd or 3rd time I'd get sick...

One night a buddy came over and needed help with his car. For the first time in a while I ventured outside and actually did something.

After I was done helping him I felt good for the first time in a long time, for 45 minutes I stopped thinking about all that was wrong with me.

Sometimes thats all it will take, won't cure your Celiacs but might take away a lot of the baggage.

I saw this on a plaque in a bathroom, a most appropriate place for a Celiac to read uplifting phrases :D

This is a paraphrase:

"Succeeding is getting up one more time than you fall"

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Well Eric, if you were the original poster, then you were being mean, intention or not! Quite frankly, your posts sounds very defensive, unlike the rest of us. We face this everyday too, and how we handle it, is just as individual as how you handle it. If someone here has a symptom they do not understand, then they have every right to ask about it, and see if anyone else has dealt with it too. Asking about a symptom does not make us crybaby's, or even hypochrondriacs.

I have had every single symptom posted on here except obviously the female ones
Well, me too, except I have had the female symptoms.

"Succeeding is getting up one more time than you fall"
Succeeding is exactly what all of us are doing, one symptom at a time.
Eric-C Enthusiast

I'm not getting my point understood in the correct light so I must not be explaining it correctly.

As far as being defensive...hardly. People, in general, tend to make problems larger than they seem. When they do that the problem may really become larger than it is.

My symptoms went on for years and were extremely bad, it took time to heal. All of my medical problems were related to gluten, every single last one. When I spent all this time addressing them one at a time I ended up with this huge list of do's and don'ts that reduced quality of life. Turns out none of them were the real problem.

I have an idea of what I am trying to say but translating it into words on a website is the tough part.

darlindeb25 Collaborator
My symptoms went on for years and were extremely bad, it took time to heal. All of my medical problems were related to gluten, every single last one. When I spent all this time addressing them one at a time I ended up with this huge list of do's and don'ts that reduced quality of life. Turns out none of them were the real problem.

Ok, that very well could be the truth for you. For me, going gluten free stopped the constant diarrhea, the panic attacks calmed considerably, and I lost 60#. I am one of the people, who when malabsorption hits, I gain weight. I felt much better, had my life back again. Then 3 yrs into being gluten free, the soy intolerance reared it's ugly head, 6 months later my corn intolerance hit. Then in probably another 6 months, my nightshade intolerance hit........these all require individual attention. These intolerance's are not because of celiac disease, they are in addition too celiac disease.

I also have peripheral neuropathy, which is a direct effect of the celiac disease, yet just because a person goes gluten free and corrects one problem, does not mean all the other problems will go away. It all depends on the damage done, and probably the years it took to figure out the need to go gluten free. 11 yrs being the average diagnosis time for most celiac's, I was sick for over 20 yrs before "we" figured this out, not a doctor.

My real problem is gluten, to begin with. Yet I also am dealing with the trickle effect of being sick for so many years. It's not as simple as you make it sound. Now, I have been diagnosed with sleep apnea, so the saga continues.

I wish you luck and it's great you can handle this with your way of thinking. It just does not work for me. I am a very upbeat person, I have never let this get me down. Life has to go on, and we need to make the most of it, and I do try to make the most of each and every day. I walk the beach, even when my feet go numb, because I will not give up. But, I do need to face each individual problem, my problems can not be lumped into one HUGE problem, it doesn't work that way.

ShayFL Enthusiast

I am like Deb. Life goes on. I make the best of it. I came in here when I was "searching". But once I "found", I stayed to help others. You wont hear me whining too much. But it is nice to know that if I need to, I have a safe place to do it.

Many of us seek out support when we are hurting and this helps in our healing. To some people it might seem like whining, but to others it says.......I AM NOT ALONE.

Research has shown that in women with breast cancer, that the patients who are involved in support groups do much better and live much longer than those that dont. I feel it is VITALLY important not to isolate yourself and to find support when you have a disease. Women especially NEED to talk to others in a welcoming and giving environment.

We all outgrow things in our lives. If you come in here and all you see are a bunch of whiners, then you have outgrown this forum. Wonderful!! Move on with your life and enjoy it!! Thank the Universe that you are well. Bless this forum and give thanks that it was here for you when you needed it. Leave it in a positive light for others to use as well.

Darn210 Enthusiast

Eric . . . just wanted to add that I "get" what you are trying to say. I don't think you sound mean-spirited or defensive . . . and I don't think you are trying to say everyone fits the same mold . . . and what you are saying is that people still need to address their medical issues but that it can't be the only focus in their life.

Deb . . . if you take another look at Eric's posts, he is relating what has helped him. He's projecting that a lot of people (not everyone) are being weighed down by the emotional baggage that they carry as a result of this disease. I interpret him as saying don't stop living your life because you have a disease . . . and you, yourself are providing proof . . . you don't let your neuropathy stop you from enjoying the beach.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
I ended the meal with a grain free spice cake (that rivals any gluten ones I have ever had).

I hereby demand the recipe, woman! :ph34r:

ShayFL Enthusiast

This is an SCD recipe I modified to suit me.

Spice Cake With Creamy Vanilla Frosting

4 T. butter (I used coconut oil), melted

1/3 c. honey (I dont really measure precisely and probably used closer to 1/2 cup)

1/4 tsp. Stevia

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

OH boy oh boy oh boy....... mmmm

I see spice cake in my future. Does it get all light and fluffy or is it more solid?

P.S. what's neem?

Archived