This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gastroscopy - Normal Side Effects?

Helena

Helena Contributor

I had a gastroscopy done about 1 week and a half ago. The resident doctor (my doctor was instructing) took biopsies of my esophagus, stomach, and small intestine (the celiac test won't tell me much though because I wasn't able to eat enough gluten prior to the test and I've been gluten free for awhile).

When I look at the list of 'complications' on the internet, none of mine seem to fit....while I didn't have severe problems afterwards, it did take me several days to get better, and my stomach is still upset.

My throat hurt for several days when swallowing liquids or food. For the first 48 hours or so, I pureed all my food because it hurt slightly all the way down...even soft foods hurt. Also, while my stomach didn't hurt, it felt like I had done too many situps or something. The one side effect that seems to be persisting---I feel like my stomach is upset and I have D in the mornings. Could that be from the test still or from something else?

My throat is okay now....but I'm still wondering whether it was 'normal' for it to hurt for awhile. I'm also wondering if my upset stomach could be from the procedure.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

It sounds like they may have glutened you during the procedure or with the prep. Were you given anything to calm you before the procedure? Doctors and nurses don't know the gluten statis of the drugs they prescribe we have to make sure they check and if you haven't yet been diagnosed they might not think there was a need. Another possible gluten source would be the spray that they put on your throat before they insert the endoscope. Did they send you home with any meds that you started taking that day? If so check them with the maker to be safe. Just a hint when you call to check on meds, script and OTC, sometimes you can get a better and more complete answer if you tell them you have an allergy to wheat rather than celiac. The powers that be consider codex wheat starch safe, it is not, and the maker may say an item is gluten free even if that is the starch binder they use. An allergy or histamine reaction has no tolerance levels and if they think you are allergic and might drop dead instantly rather than it taking years you will get a more accurate response.

Hopefully you are feeling better and the after effects will be over soon. If things get worse or you start to run a fever do get back in touch with the doctor.

dlp252 Apprentice

The sore throat thing is pretty normal for me. I just had my fourth endoscopy on July 2, and this time the sore throat lasted a bit longer. I also have reactions to the sedatives they give me, and that can last for up to a week with some symptoms lasting a bit longer depending on what they give me.

I tend to react to all sedation type drugs...I just had foot surgery and was quite sick the day after. I had a sore throat which spread to my ears, which lasted for almost a week. I tend to get very light headed/dizzy (where I feel like my brain is disconnected and floating in my skull), sometimes nauseated, sometimes diarrhea, sore throats, and ear aches.

Over the last two years I've had 4 endoscopies, a bladder surgery and a foot surgery, with several different types of sedation and anesthesia, and have reacted to all of them, some moreso than others. So it could be that one of the medications had gluten, or you could just be sensitive to the meds in general.

Helena Contributor

ravenwoodglass, I'm pretty sure I wasn't glutened during the procedure. I have allergies, so I checked the ingredients of the meds way in advance. But you got me thinking...it could have been something else. I am allergic to corn, and there was a corn-derived ingredient in one of the meds. I wouldn't think that I would react for such a long period of time, though ;) Thanks for the tip about the meds. I didn't know that they could say they are 'gluten free' if they contain wheat starch :blink:

dlp252 - good to know that the sore throat lasting more than 24 hours is normal! I guess I could have had a reaction to the sedative. I should mention this to my allergist the next time I see him!

happygirl Collaborator

Hi Helena - good to see you here! Hope your side effects subside quickly!

Helena Contributor

Hey happygirl, Thanks :) -- good to be back. And I am doing better...my stomach is more settled now.

MyMississippi Enthusiast

Yes, it is normal to have sore throat after endo----- I'm surprised they didn't tell you that. :)

And it's possible to have sore tummy, etc.

All should resolve shortly--- if not, give the doc a call.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dlp252 Apprentice
And I am doing better...my stomach is more settled now.

Good to hear!!! Yes, I mention my sensitivity to whomever will be administering the sedatives (in fact I mention it to as many people as will listen, lol, nurses, doctor, whomever, lol). With the endoscopies, I usually just have a nurse who gives the sedatives.

I actually had an anesthesiologist for my foot surgery and he gave me some things to help the nausea, but when I was in recovery, I couldn't stop shivering (even after two warmed blankets), so the nurse gave me something to relax me, and I think that's what made me really sick this time. So, now I'll know next time to just ask for more warm blankets and keep the happy drug for a last resort, lol. :lol:

Archived