This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Uk & Europe Forum

calvin

calvin Newbie

Great idea

I live in england & spain.

Would like to talk to anybody in SE England or Cadiz area of spain with same problem to compare notes on recipes and quality of life.

Calvin

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kvogt Rookie

I'm actually visiting SE UK in March. I've discovered there are several gluten-free beers in the UK. I'm going to enjoy them when I visist. I believe you are potentially much better off than we are in the States in terms of choice of products and labeling - that should be refreshing.

• 1 month later...
Guest BellyTimber

Calvin,

I live in the Midlands and after a good start some 2 years ago I have run into trouble over baking, shopping, communicating with doctors ...

Someone has posted a home made Yorkshire pudding recipe under your other enquiry (I haven't tried it but shall sellotape it to my kitchen door frame).

Very best of wishes, keep coming back to this forum,

Guest BellyTimber

Kvogt,

What interesting discoveries did you make in your visit to the UK?

Can you enlighten us native inhbitants about some things?!

kvogt Rookie

Michael,

I visited the UK the first two weeks of March, visiting friends in various places. I was based in Fareham.

I found in your stores, it is much easier to pick safe foods. The labeling is much better. It's less work to shop. Many Americans will have concerns about Codex standards and the use of wheat starch. I had no reactions the whole time there and I tried all kinds of gluten-free foods. I primarily shopped in Sainsbury's.

Can't wait to go back.

Kelly

Cheers!

Guest BellyTimber

Glad you had such a good time

:D

I still get into trouble going a couple of miles

:o

• 2 weeks later...
chelly1 Apprentice
:D Hi we live in the se and have a 10yr old son with celiac disease did you know that there is a totally gluten free bakery in oxford that have the biggest range of freshly baked food all gluten-free and you can order on line and they deliver to your door. little man had a sausage roll for the first time in over 5 years his face lit up with joy. He also tried the pizza pasties and the ham and cheese pasties. We got him the chocolate cookies and the best thing was a danish butter chocolate cake which melted in his mouth they have such a huge range available. Its called lifestyle healthcare. We are going to get him angel cake and bakewell tarts and all sorts of other things maybe he will try a steak pie or a chicken 1 but not sure if he will eat it because he has never tried one before but no harm in trying good luck and also check out the new range at tescos they even have bread sticks enjoy!!! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 3 months later...
LynG Newbie

Any coeliac visiting or living in UK might want to post on gluten-free message board (mainly UK but all coeliacs/celiacs/DHers welcome) :

Open Original Shared Link

Great idea

Would like to talk to anybody in SE England  or Cadiz area of spain with same problem to compare notes on recipes  and quality of life.

Calvin

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

JacquiUK Newbie
Great idea

Would like to talk to anybody in SE England  or Cadiz area of spain with same problem to compare notes on recipes  and quality of life.

Calvin

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Calvin - I live in East Sussex. Where are you based?

calvin Newbie
Hi Calvin - I live in  East Sussex. Where are you based?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Jacqui,

I live in essex and i also spend a lot of my time in chiclana in spain.

nikki-uk Enthusiast

Hi Calvin,I live in Essex too and my husband is a coeliac.

We are in Dagenham-where are you?

calvin Newbie
Hi Calvin,I live in Essex too and my husband is a coeliac.

We are in Dagenham-where are you?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Nikki,

I live in wickford, just down the road from you.

calvin

nikki-uk Enthusiast

Hi again Calvin,

Do you belong to Coeliac uk?I find the handbook they supply helpful sometimes.

When in uk,do you get prescription foods?

What's you're best supermarket for gluten-free food?,I find Tesco the best,but Sainbury's labelling easier.

How easy is it being gluten-free in Spain?This is the first year we haven't gone to Spain for a summer hol,bit nervous about it as hubbie's been so ill(dx 10 months ago)

Anyway,always good to share any uk related info.It's a small world!! :)

calvin Newbie
Hi again Calvin,

Do you belong to Coeliac uk?I find the handbook they supply helpful sometimes.

When in uk,do you get prescription foods?

What's you're best supermarket for gluten-free food?,I find Tesco the best,but Sainbury's labelling easier.

How easy is it being gluten-free in Spain?This is the first year we haven't gone to Spain for a summer hol,bit nervous about it as hubbie's been so ill(dx 10 months ago)

Anyway,always good to share any uk related info.It's a small world!! :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Nikki-uk

I dont belong to coeliac uk.

I dont get prescription foods as i have not been diagnosed as having coeliac desease.

My problem started after i had an operation 4 years ago, i had lots of tests at the hospital but was diagnosed as having IBS.

Through process of eliminatiom i have found out i cannot eat wheat or gluten and the longer it goes on the more sensitive i have become.

I find sainsbury's a lot better for shopping , although we mainly shop at tescos.

I manage without bread by eating prawn crackers and poppadoms from sinsbury's, they are clearly labelled "Gluten Free" on the front of the packet, also their expensive sausages called Taste the differance of which 3 types are gluten free and are labelled on the reverse of the packaging. When in spain i have to read the labelling all the time, Harina de trigo is wheat flour and malte is malt. In restaurants it does get a bit more difficult so i ask to the best of my spanish. Once i got it wrong with seafood sticks, i didn't know that some were made with harina de trigo.

Best regards

calvin

• 2 weeks later...
jazzyjess Newbie

:) hey guys!

im from east sussex too

where abouts do u live Jacqui? we are probably quite near!

u are the first people i have talked to on the site that arnt from america!

im jess by the way

:P

• 6 months later...
blueangel Newbie

Hola Calvin,

I'm an american living in Spain, Madrid!

Anyone living in Madrid?

Milena :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
DonnaD Apprentice

I'm living near Cambridge at the moment and am moving to Toulouse in the summer.

Lifestyle bakeries Open Original Shared Link sent us a big box of samples, lemon cake, crumpets, fresh bread (which is available on prescription and is the only one my little girl will eat) bakewell tart, all of it was wonderful!

I have the big Waitrose gluten free list and also Marks and Spencer (did you know their TULIPS and toilet roll are gluten free LOL )

• 4 weeks later...
karmarina Newbie

Hello ladies and gentlemans! Help me, please!

I want to find glutenfree man for marriage.

I have son 6 y.o. he's got the same problem. I live in St-Petersburg

(Russia) and in our country there is no possibility to provide a

glutenfree diet. I hope to meet kind man in any country, who

able to love me and my son. I can be the best wife for him. I know

glutenfree coocking very well and I'm communicative and very

responsible, reliable friend and true woman. I have the fine soul and

high ability to understand other person. I beleive in love at and

multiculture marriage. I dream to create the family, based on love and

care for each other. It is possible you have known a man,who I'm

looking for in your Society. Please, introduce me to him.

My name is Marina Karnilova, 44 y.o. karmarina@list.ru

klemmen Rookie

Their tulips and toilet roll! :lol::lol:

i live in essex too...in basildon <_< lol i'm on a student exchange at the moment and am really really missing how easy it is too get gluten-free food in the uk..practically nothing is labelled and it is sooo expensive! i really love the dietary specials (or something in a purple and yellow box) chocolate gluten-free cake mix.. umm cannot wait to eat it again :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...
NicoleAJ Enthusiast

Some of you have mentioned prescription foods in the UK--how do you obtain these? I'm curious--I wish we had these in the states.

I'm an American, and I'll likely be visiting Oxford and Leeds this summer for a few months. If anyone has any recommendations for restaurants or grocers, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Nicole

nikki-uk Enthusiast

In the U.K you are only eligable for prescription foods from your G.P if you have had a 'formal' diagnosis of celiac disease from a gastro doc (usually biopsy proven).

I suppose if you registered with a G.P whilst in U.K you might get them-I'm not sure <_<

Hope you have a good trip!

• 1 month later...
Katie O'Rourke Rookie

I'm also living in Lincoln, Lincs. Dont know if there is anyone on here anywhere near me though. Everyone seems to be in the souuth east. I'm 22 and have been diagnosed for nearlt 3 years now. If anyone wants to chat anytime, about anything gluten-free or otherwise, please feel free to contact me: katie_orourke_11@hotmail.com

Have a nice day :)

• 2 months later...
Kyalesyin Apprentice

Any Plymothians out there? We've only recently moved to Plymouth and its damn lonely this far south.

• 1 month later...
Saz Explorer

Hi. I'm an Aussie but thought I'd share this little discovery.

Gluten free ice cream cones! I got some tonight. Anway on the packet it says that they are imported from the UK. The Barkat if anyone is interested.

nikki-uk Enthusiast
Hi. I'm an Aussie but thought I'd share this little discovery.

Gluten free ice cream cones! I got some tonight. Anway on the packet it says that they are imported from the UK. The Barkat if anyone is interested.

Oh yes!

I found this

Open Original Shared Link

£4.00 though!!!!!!! :o

Archived