Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

What To Eat?

8 posts in this topic

Like my diet wasn't restricted enough already on the gluten-free diet, now I'm losing my taste for meat and fish :o . Not surprising actually, I've always experienced that with pregnancy, but fortunately, I didn't have to restrict my diet, as I was not Celiac at the time.

What do y'all do to keep from 'wasting away' while being pregnant and losing tastes in certain foods? What is left to eat? Should I look at a vegetarian-type diet? Is that even safe during pregnancy? Especially if Celiac?!

-donna

Ads by Google:

Eggs, cheese and nuts all have protein. When my wife was pregnant she couldn't stand the smell of certain meats, although she still liked some. I'm sure you can do vegetarian and be pregnant, but I think you would need an experienced person guiding you.

richard

I would say that you have to force yourself to eat protein. Try cooking it different ways or getting your dh to cook for you that is what helps me. I never want to eat anything but I know that I have to and it is so frusterating to be restricted even more now than before I know how you feel on that. Good luck to you of course it is all worth it at the end. :D

Don't forget good old peanut butter :D That's always good protein. Calcium, Protien and Iron are so important when you're pregnant

Ah, yes. Eggs and cheese - I've been eating plenty of lately ;). I have some nuts, but I never think of eating them - it doesn't seem very satisfying b/c you can only eat so many.

I know what you mean about forcing yourself to eat meat/fish. I remembered that with last one I doctored everything up so I couldn't taste it. We've always eaten such bland foods, especially since going gluten-free, so, spicing things up will be a change. Looks like I'll be doing a lot more cooking!

I forgot about peanut butter. I'm not a big fan of it now that I can't have it on wonder bread, but I do like it on celery which is a nice snack. I did recently read though, that woman shouldn't eat peanuts/peanutbutter often while preg. b/c they believe it may increase the chances of peanut allergy in the child. Don't know if there is any proof of that, but I won't make it a daily habit just in case.

I'm sure I'm getting plenty of calium between the yogurt and cheese I consume everyday and my supplementation. Iron? So, far I'm not anemic, but I usually do end up taking a supplement later in pregnancy. I guess I just don't get enough of it in my diet for the baby.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions! And yes, it is VERY worth it!! :D

-d

Donna:

I wouldn't stress too much over the protein issue. You can get adequate protein during pregnancy, even if you are eating a vegetarian diet. Especially if you are still eating dairy and eggs. As long as you are getting adequate calories and take your prenatal vitamin, you should be fine on the protein front. Your doctor will let you know if you need more iron. Since you are not getting the benefit of iron fortified breads/cereals, you may need a supplement. Most people get far more protein than they need, so even though there is a slightly increased need for protein during pregnancy you probably will still be exceeding your protein requirement.

well, hopefully you are feeling better by now :) It is entirely possible to be vegetarian and pregnant. I was :) And don't worry about the protein for now. Follow your gut (haha) - I really mean it! Just listen to your body and it will tell you what you need to eat.

If I recall correctly, the first trimester I ate mostly fruit (luckily it was summer), and very little else. Weird, but that's what I wanted. I also couldn't eat the same ingredients in dinner two nights in a row - I wanted something we had never eaten before - every single night, lol, poor dh was at a loss trying to figure out what to cook.

Then, I started eating like I normally do for most of the rest of the pregnancy. At the end of the third trimester, I had massive cravings for huge amounts of chocolate cake. And ate it, lots of it :) (not a gluten-free issue-just a chocolate issue).

Merika

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Test Results
      Update: I am about at my wit's end. I won't be able to see my new doctor until July 17 to get a referral to a GI doctor, so I continue to eat gluten and the effects continue to worsen. Today my boss, whom I have been working with for 12 years, and I had a meeting where he said he's noticed a change in many things, such as speech, not articulating well, forgetfulness, and other things that are affecting my work product. I finally told him I know there is something wrong with me medically and I've been trying to get to the doctor to no avail. I recall those four weeks early in the year when I tried out gluten free and was beginning to feel much better- more present, more sharp, and then went back on gluten in preparation for the blood test.  I just don't think I can do this gluten thing any longer and am thinking of going cold-turkey gluten free.  I'm 54 years old, am beginning not to care about a diagnosis because I just want to feel better and be able to do what I need to do. Because of how I felt going off of gluten earlier in the year, and eating gluten free when I was on the McDougall plan years ago, and how I feel while doing this gluten challenge, I am pretty convinced that my issue is gluten.  Any words of encouragement would be welcome.  If you've done gluten free and never looked back, tell me about it. 
    • Gardasil
      "I got this vaccination in 2009 when I was 20 and it completely altered my life. Made my celiac disease so much worse, sleep 15-18 hours a day, SIBO, it has completely altered my life since getting this vaccination. My doctor has two twin girls about my age and they both have digestion problems after receiving gardasil Thank you I have a young daughter and have wondered this exact question posed by the poster and your response has given me great pause about this issue which may come up in years to come. I am sorry to hear this wreak havoc on your life, but simultaneously thank you for sharing this detail to help those of us that have likely been decades misdiagnosed celiacs now raising children. Thank you.
    • Gluten does WHAT to the brain?
      "Wondering what kind of life my brother could have had - if  he had celiac - constantly haunts me" My sympathies that is just tragic, as this story is.  I hope you are at peace knowing you are aware of your celiac and help so many lost, scared, and confused celiacs here. It can never bring back your brother but I hope it can give soften some of what you feel that was/is beyond your control. His suffering and your loss has made you a better advocate to yourself and in your work helping us. I don't like my body or my  brain on gluten either. I do fear that people overlook the toll inflammation takes on the brain. It likely may explain decades of mental illness that was brain based inflammation unknown until changes in technology advancement catch up. However consuming gluten to study how one enters psychosis may not be the best method. Do no harm.  
    • Gardasil
      I got this vaccination in 2009 when I was 20 and it completely altered my life. Made my celiac disease so much worse, sleep 15-18 hours a day, SIBO, it has completely altered my life since getting this vaccination. My doctor has two twin girls about my age and they both have digestion problems after receiving gardasil
    • Gardasil And Celiac
      I have this same issue! I got gardasil in 2009 and have never been the same since. Celiac disease, thyroid problems. I used to be healthy and active and since I got that shot I have never been the same.
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Jmg  »  admin

Hello Admin!
      I don't know whether this is of interest to post on your articles feed:
      http://pratt.duke.edu/about/news/window-guts-brain
      Kind Regards,
      Matt
      · 2 replies
    • celiac sharon  »  cyclinglady

Hello cycling lady, have you noticed my picture is showing up as you?  Have no idea why but it's rather disconcerting to see my picture and your words 😉  Do you know how to fix it?  You seem to have far more experience with this board than I do
      · 1 reply
    • Larry Gessner  »  cyclinglady

Hi There, I don't know if there is a place for videos in the forum. I just watched "The Truth About Gluten" I think it is a good video. I would like to share it somewhere but don't know where it should go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Here is the link if you have never watched it.
      https://youtu.be/IU6jVEwpjnE Thank You,
      Larry
      · 2 replies
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    dl2z12