This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Makes Reeses Pb Cups Non-gf?

Donna F

Donna F Enthusiast

If emulsifiers and stabilizers are gluten-free, then I am truly perplexed as to why Reeses Peanutbutter Cups are no longer gluten-free. Am I wrong? - PLEASE TELL ME I'M WRONG - I really miss those things ! I read the ingrediets for the heck of it while waiting in a checkout line, and, well, I think I'm pretty good at reading labels now, and I couldn't find anything that would make it gluten-filled. The only thing I didn't know about was the 'emulsifiers'.

Does anyone know?

Thanks,

-donna (craving a reeses at this very moment -gotta love pregnancy!)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac3270 Collaborator

When did they change? I know they at least were gluten-free--if they aren't still. Yeah--very sure they are gluten-free.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I sure hope they didn't change if they did do you know when they changed? I haven't had them for about 4 months but last I knew they were gluten-free.

Donna F Enthusiast

The last time I spoke to someone from the CSA, I was told that they were taking the peanut butter cups off the gluten-free list b/c they were no longer gluten-free. She didn't specify why.

I still have their 800# - I didn't even think to call. I don't know if they are open on weekends, but I'll give them a try......

nope M-F, 9-5....shoot! Btw, the # is 1-877-272-4272 is anyone is interested - they put out a gluten-free listing of mainstream products every year. Don't know if the new edition is even out yet though, as they went to congress around the time they normally publish it.

I'll let you know Monday when I call, unless someone here can enlighten me in the mean time. If they ARE gluten-free, 'll be at the corner store in no time!

Thanks,

-donna

lovegrov Collaborator

They are gluten-free.

I ignore the CSA. They're the ones who once told us to avoid annatto and also fought against the food-labeling bill. Their current president tried to torpedo the bill at the last minute.

richard

flagbabyds Collaborator

They are gluten-free because I eat them everyday and I haven't gotten sick yet...

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

That's great I thought they were gluten-free but I was getting scared for a minute there. I'm glad they are gluten-free. :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Canadian Karen Community Regular

I eat them all the time, I never get a reaction. I have read on more than one list that they are gluten-free....

Karen

Guest Viola

I eat them quite a bit as well. I haven't heard anything about them being removed from the Gluten Free list :o I sure hope not! They really are handy when one is stuck in town without lunch :D

Guest gillian502

I have always avoided them based on the fact that a year ago, some Reeses packages listed wheat where others did not. Since then I haven't felt comfortable trusting their labeling. Maybe they were not gluten-free last year and now are, I don't know for sure.

lovegrov Collaborator

Regular Reese's PB cups have been gluten-free since I was diagnosed more than three years ago. That's never changed. There are different flavors and I think at least once contains cookies type pieces, but that's plainly listed.

richard

calico jo Rookie

I called on these quite a while ago and was told they were gluten-free. Have been eating them for about 3 years with no problem until recently. However, I think I'm developing a reaction to peanuts and peanut butter. I get blisters on the end of my nose, around the nostrils...really strange place whenever I eat peanuts or peanut butter anymore.

I LOVE Reese cups, too :o(

Donna F Enthusiast

WOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank You!! B)

Guest gillian502

I guess the particular Reeces that mentioned wheat must've been that cookie kind, then, because it was definitley on the ingredients. I didn't even notice they made that type of reeces.

liljules5 Rookie

I remember looking at one of the bags for the miniature ones that they usually sell at holidays (and also year round...) and seeing wheat flour listed as an ingredient!

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

The mini ones usually only have wheat in them at holidays. I always check before buying and only encountered it at holiday time.

angel-jd1 Community Regular

I found some small heart shaped reeses pb at valentines day that had wheat flour in them. They were wrapped in the foil, not the plastic. Just teaches us that we ALWAYS need to read labels!! Hershey is a company where I feel very confident reading their labels and knowing if I can have the food.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Guest gillian502

I knew I must have seen that somewhere...so there IS wheat flour on their labels from time to time...that's why I avoid them altogether. I figure there must be a pretty big chance of cross contamination going on there if that's the case.

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

I have never seen it on their big ones and I don't think they could be made on the same lines as the little ones.

flagbabyds Collaborator

The big ones are fine, the ones you have to be worried about are the varriations on the big ones like minis and holiday ones, I eat the big ones everyday w/out any problem

Guest gillian502

When I can, I'll give them a call and question the cross-contamintion issue, and ask if they are run on dedicated lines. If I hear anything I'll let you all know.:) You've got me curious now.

dianegf Newbie

Below is a site that has a list of gluten-free foods/candies etc.. I didn't see Reese Peanut butter cups on it. I'll investigate further.

https://www.celiac.com/st_main.html?p_catid=19

celiac3270 Collaborator

Dianegf,

The list on celiac.com for candies is very incomplete. It merely gives you an idea of what's gluten-free--a couple candies for starters, but there are many far more extensive lists of gluten-free candy because really there's so much of it that we can have. Around Halloween, I got a list from Jessica's USA Silly Yaks support group that was extremely long--then I realized what a variety we really can have.

jknnej Collaborator

I wonder if the white chocolate ones are gluten-free..those are my FAVE.

celiac3270 Collaborator

Reese's are made by Hershey's so gluten will be clearly listed on the label. Thus, for all PB cups, and the white chocolate ones you inquired about, just read the label :)

Archived