This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Symptoms From Coming Off Gluten

runlikeagirl

runlikeagirl Rookie

After two weeks off of gluten I have become extremely fatigued...like going to bed at 8pm. I also have a huge appetite. Is this normal? Will it pass? Does anyone know the science behind this and what causes it? And are there any other symptoms that I need to look out for while coming off gluten?

thanks a bunch! Oh yeah, and I'm also a runner. I run about 40 miles a week right now...don't know if that affects anything.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenFree2 Newbie

The part about being tired is completely natural. I am not sure about the eating one though. When I was diagnosed, I barely ate anything. I had no appetite. There are a few more that you might want to know. If you are coming off of gluten and dairy at once, it is exactly like coming off of drugs. Everything seems to be louder, brighter, more annoying, all of that stuff. It is like that because the opium (spelling?) pockets in your body that are filled with gluten and dairy are being removed. Good luck.

Rya Newbie

Opium pockets? First I've heard about this...

Runlikeagirl - the only thing I might recommend is a multivitamin if you start craving gluten. Or at least taking extra care to find B vitamins in your diet, depending on your feelings toward vitamins.

irish daveyboy Community Regular
After two weeks off of gluten I have become extremely fatigued...like going to bed at 8pm. I also have a huge appetite. Is this normal? Will it pass? Does anyone know the science behind this and what causes it? And are there any other symptoms that I need to look out for while coming off gluten?

thanks a bunch! Oh yeah, and I'm also a runner. I run about 40 miles a week right now...don't know if that affects anything.

Hi,

here are a few links to articles that you should read,

remember, it always gets worse before it gets better.

Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link

Best Regards,

David

GlutenFree2 Newbie
Opium pockets? First I've heard about this...

Sorry about that, I guess that I said the wrong word...

ShayFL Enthusiast

Your symptoms are typical. Lots of fatigue (it is hard work for the body to heal damage). Energy is going to finally healing you. :) Once you reach a certain level of healing, you will have MORE energy than you had before. Extreme hunger.....your body is finally absorbing nutrients and it is making up for lost time (and needs those nutrients to facilitate healing). These are good signs and they will pass. It is different for everyone. It took me a good 6 weeks to reach that turning point.

I was even waking up in the middle of the night starving. Talk about annoying. But it did go away and I feel much better now.

Archived