5 replies to this topic

#1 runlikeagirl

runlikeagirl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 05:53 AM

After two weeks off of gluten I have become extremely fatigued...like going to bed at 8pm. I also have a huge appetite. Is this normal? Will it pass? Does anyone know the science behind this and what causes it? And are there any other symptoms that I need to look out for while coming off gluten?
thanks a bunch! Oh yeah, and I'm also a runner. I run about 40 miles a week right now...don't know if that affects anything.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GlutenFree2

GlutenFree2

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 06:03 AM

The part about being tired is completely natural. I am not sure about the eating one though. When I was diagnosed, I barely ate anything. I had no appetite. There are a few more that you might want to know. If you are coming off of gluten and dairy at once, it is exactly like coming off of drugs. Everything seems to be louder, brighter, more annoying, all of that stuff. It is like that because the opium (spelling?) pockets in your body that are filled with gluten and dairy are being removed. Good luck.

#3 Rya

Rya

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 09:41 PM

Opium pockets? First I've heard about this...

Runlikeagirl - the only thing I might recommend is a multivitamin if you start craving gluten. Or at least taking extra care to find B vitamins in your diet, depending on your feelings toward vitamins.
Celiac Disease 2007
Spinal Fusion 2006
Grave's Disease 2000

There is a way around every obstacle.

#4 irish daveyboy

irish daveyboy

The Irish Coeliac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 10:54 PM

After two weeks off of gluten I have become extremely fatigued...like going to bed at 8pm. I also have a huge appetite. Is this normal? Will it pass? Does anyone know the science behind this and what causes it? And are there any other symptoms that I need to look out for while coming off gluten?
thanks a bunch! Oh yeah, and I'm also a runner. I run about 40 miles a week right now...don't know if that affects anything.

Hi,
here are a few links to articles that you should read,
remember, it always gets worse before it gets better.
Adverse reactions to starting the gluten-free Diet
Opiate withdrawl from Gluten and Casein
Best Regards,
David
Chronically Ill and lost 56lbs in 3 Months Prior to Diagnosis.
Diagnosed in Nov 2005 after Biopsy and Blood Tests
Cannot tolerate Codex Wheat Starch.
Self Taught Baker.
Bake everything from scratch using naturally gluten-free ingredients.

#5 GlutenFree2

GlutenFree2

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 05:27 PM

Opium pockets? First I've heard about this...

Sorry about that, I guess that I said the wrong word...

#6 ShayFL

ShayFL

ShayFL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 04:00 AM

Your symptoms are typical. Lots of fatigue (it is hard work for the body to heal damage). Energy is going to finally healing you. :) Once you reach a certain level of healing, you will have MORE energy than you had before. Extreme hunger.....your body is finally absorbing nutrients and it is making up for lost time (and needs those nutrients to facilitate healing). These are good signs and they will pass. It is different for everyone. It took me a good 6 weeks to reach that turning point.

I was even waking up in the middle of the night starving. Talk about annoying. But it did go away and I feel much better now.
GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: