3 replies to this topic

#1 babysteps

babysteps

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 09:14 AM

Had gluten-free pizza from John's Best in Westport CT last night - hey, pizza! They are the second commercial building east of Whole Foods, on the same side of the street.

crust was from a CT-based nationally distributed company, Still Riding Pizza, apparently they sell to consumers as well as restaurants & there is a list of their restaurant customers on their website.

Oddly the John's Best website mentions nothing about gluten-free, but they do always have it, my spouse even found a YouTube video from the local cable channel about the pizza & how they keep everything separate.

The crust was pretty good for gluten-free, we got take-out and on re-heating the edges were crispy but the middle wasn't fully crisped (just like gluten crust!). You can get any of their toppings (note eggplant and meatballs are not gluten-free toppings, we checked and bacon, sausage and zucchini are all gluten-free), and when we ordered the counter person even checked if we wanted cheese or *not*. He said many folks get no cheese, and Still Riding's website shows no dairy ingredients, so you could actually get gluten-free cf pizza!. There is one size - medium (14").

John's Best also has gluten-free pasta available and gluten-free cookies at their deli counter. We got a mozarella salad (moz, tomatoes, canned peppers, olive oil, herbs) and it came with...a side of italian bread (!) - thank goodness the salad was sealed in a plastic takeout container so no bread cc.

Pizza. wow, I ate pizza :)
gluten-free (except unintentionally) from 7 Dec 2007
3 gluten-free cousins and counting (1 gold standard, 1 pos blood/no endo, 1 self/dietary diagnosed)
suspect mother was celiac (also, cousin suspects my mother's twin is celiac)

Feb 08 testing 'normal range' for gluten antibodies, IBD and food allergies
Staying off gluten - dietary reaction is compelling for me!

"Hi, I'm the gluten-free diner at your table."

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 HAK1031

HAK1031

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 03:48 PM

WOOHOO!!! gluten-free pizza in CT...finally! Unfortunately I'm from the wrong side of the state, but we make pretty frequent trips to your neck of the woods to visit my grandparents in NY. YAY!!!!!!
Gluten Free since 10/07
Mildly Lactose Intolerant, slight intestinal symptoms after eating milk products, but easily corrected with lactase enzyme
Endometriosis- DX'd 5/07

Gluten Antibodies- "negative"...don't know exact numbers, am highly suspicious...
DXed celiac 12-19-07 via genetics/elimination diet- DQ2 allele

Brother with Celiac, aspergers...his tests were all negative (he didn't have genetics done), including endoscopy, but he definitely is at the least gluten intolerant...highly suspect my mother has it as well- she has hyperthyroid, fibromyalgia, hemochromatosis, and now colon cancer, and she has been weak and exhausted and just generally sick. She's going to get tested.

#3 babysteps

babysteps

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:06 AM

WOOHOO!!! gluten-free pizza in CT...finally! Unfortunately I'm from the wrong side of the state, but we make pretty frequent trips to your neck of the woods to visit my grandparents in NY. YAY!!!!!!

Sorry for the delayed response, I was on vacation for a while...
There *are* other CT restaurants that use this gluten-free pizza dough, check out the still riding website & see if any are close by. Happy pizza eating :)
gluten-free (except unintentionally) from 7 Dec 2007
3 gluten-free cousins and counting (1 gold standard, 1 pos blood/no endo, 1 self/dietary diagnosed)
suspect mother was celiac (also, cousin suspects my mother's twin is celiac)

Feb 08 testing 'normal range' for gluten antibodies, IBD and food allergies
Staying off gluten - dietary reaction is compelling for me!

"Hi, I'm the gluten-free diner at your table."

#4 tdgrunt

tdgrunt

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 03:56 AM

Engine 6 in Norwich also has GREAT pizza. I do not see them on the Still Riding web page but my wife and I drive about 30 minutes to eat at Engine 6. Calzones, Pizza and bread sticks. The owner, Marcel, is a great guy and just loves feeding celiacs! If you get the opportunity check it out - well worth the trip!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: