This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Captain Morgan's

lobita

mynxr Rookie

Whether it is spiced or not isn't the issue for those of us that are gluten intolerant.  The fact that it's made from a mash containing gluten will make people that are intolerant sick.  Yes, the gluten protein is too large to pass through the distillation process.  However, the liquid that does pass through has been cross contaminated because it contained the gluten protein prior to distillation.  Any distilled alcohol made from wheat, rye, barley, a mash, etc., will make people that are truly intolerant to gluten sick.  Stick with alcohols that are distilled from corn, potato and rice.  They are safe.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master
2 hours ago, mynxr said:

Whether it is spiced or not isn't the issue for those of us that are gluten intolerant.  The fact that it's made from a mash containing gluten will make people that are intolerant sick.  Yes, the gluten protein is too large to pass through the distillation process.  However, the liquid that does pass through has been cross contaminated because it contained the gluten protein prior to distillation.  Any distilled alcohol made from wheat, rye, barley, a mash, etc., will make people that are truly intolerant to gluten sick.  Stick with alcohols that are distilled from corn, potato and rice.  They are safe.

Isn’t it rum? Rum is not made from grain.

just looked it up- yep.  It’s rum and it’s made of sugar cane - no grain.  So I don’t even have to explain distillation . ?

Ennis-TX Grand Master
2 hours ago, mynxr said:

Morgans rum is made form molasses.....you know sugar cane....hell only liquor I keep around the house at all times....I can not even drink but I use it in cooking.

• 4 months later...
flintlike Newbie

Okay. I have been using this website as a resource for a long time and my need to share this story is what made me finally create an account. 

Last summer, I was having a bonfire with some friends. The person making the booze run picked up Captain "cause rum is made from sugar", right...? Being 21 for only about a month, this logic sounded good and i even did a quick google search, not looking very hard but the internet seemed to think Captain was safe. So i had MAYBE half a Captain and Coke..... What happened after this was the worst gluten-ing of my life. I couldn't leave the bathroom floor. I was falling in and out of consciousness. (I have a damaged nervous system.) I was so sick that my partner had to carry me around. We were in the woods, far away from everyone and they almost took me to the hospital. The whole night and next day, I couldn't keep down any food, my body just kept trying to purge itself. While I was asleep, my friends had searched and found the same vague vocabulary that people are discussing here.

It infuriates me that everytime someone offers me a drink, ( I work in a distillery and everyone I know is in the restaurant industry.) I have to consider whether it's worth risking going through all that again. -Something that could be fixed with literally one sentence- but very, VERY few alcohol companies are willing to put in plain language whether or not their product is safe for Celiacs. 

What I don't understand is, ....if your product isn't safe for me and you don't make that clear, on the bottle or website, etc. and I drink it .... you're losing a customer ANYWAY. I'm obviously never drinking Captain Morgan again. But, if you tell me straight away that it's not safe for me, I'm not going to buy your product for myself, but I at least trust you to be truthful and I know my friends can drink this, but I can't. But if you weasel around, I don't trust you at all. Period. 

Now, to be fair, the website (at least at the time) said basically there's a possibility for contamination and it's basically a bottle-by-bottle basis. So, this is not to say that everyone will react like this. But I had an unsafe bottle and it was not a good time.  

Archived