8 replies to this topic

#1 babinsky

babinsky

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 11:50 AM

I live in So. California and just heard that today on the 4pm news on ABC they will be doing a piece on gluten free foods. The lady in the intro piece was describing how it feels like she is swallowing broken glass and they had a bunch of gluten-free foods behind her. Word is getting out!!!!!!!yay
Confirmed by endoscopy and blood tests October 2007

Donna

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 02:40 PM

Any news, is good news! ;)
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 02:55 PM

I live in So. California and just heard that today on the 4pm news on ABC they will be doing a piece on gluten free foods. The lady in the intro piece was describing how it feels like she is swallowing broken glass and they had a bunch of gluten-free foods behind her. Word is getting out!!!!!!!yay

Was she saying that eating gluten-free food feels like swallowing glass? :huh: That's weird!

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

#4 home_based_mom

home_based_mom

Operation Christmas Child

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 05:09 PM

Was she saying that eating gluten-free food feels like swallowing glass? :huh: That's weird!

That what I was thinking! :lol: On the other hand, something like that should put an end to the idea that people actually choose to eat gluten-free food as one chooses to eat vegetarian food or something! :blink: :lol:
Sandi ~ learning to live in a world obsessed and infested with wheat.
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" probably was not referring to us . . .
"For the love of money gluten is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." (apologies to 1 Timothy 6:10 (NASB)
The person we most dislike is still a soul for whom Christ died. (David Jeremiah)

#5 babinsky

babinsky

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 03:54 PM

No..she said that eating food with gluten is like swallowing shards of glass...it slices off the villi making it impossible to get the nutrients....interesting analogy...it was not what I was hoping for, but at least it is out there. They did say that healthy people should not stick to a gluten-free diet as they do not get enough fiber and B-12.
Confirmed by endoscopy and blood tests October 2007

Donna

#6 ShayFL

ShayFL

ShayFL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 04:09 PM

They did say that healthy people should not stick to a gluten-free diet as they do not get enough fiber and B-12.

Such poor information. B12 doesnt come from gluten foods unless they are fortified. Doh!!

And there is plenty of fiber in fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, other grains........

That is what I hate about these programs....filled with stuff that is only 1/2 right or not at all.
GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

#7 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 08:48 AM

Such poor information.

I agree!!! My kids are SOOOO much healthier than any other kid in their classes! We focus so much on whole foods that they are getting probably more fiber and vitamins than they need.

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

#8 mosaicmom

mosaicmom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 10:25 AM

I'm so glad someone used the word "glass". This is similar to what my daughter has said in describing her pain, glass, or blades, but it isn't in swallowing, it's usually by the time it's trying to digest.

#9 Treen Bean

Treen Bean

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 04:53 PM

I agree! I am so much healthier than most people because of all the fresh, natural foods I eat. (fruit, veggies, etc....) Since going gluten free 2 years ago, I haven't gotten sick once (with the exception of the occasional accidental gluten-ing)!
Treen Bean

A gluten free goddess in training! - 2 years and counting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: