3 replies to this topic

#1 ham&ex

ham&ex

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 03:06 PM

Does anyone know of any ways to speed recovery after contamination? For example: Should a person eat more fiberous vegetables to flush the system? More protein? Should they just eat less?
I am self diagnosed and follow a very strict (and healthy) gluten-free diet, but very occasionally a hidden source of gluten will find its way on to my plate. Because I have a very simple diet it has been fairly easy for me to identify and eliminate sources of contamination, unfortunately my symptoms can linger for a while afterward, sometimes up to two weeks. My reaction usually comes on over a three day period beginning with under-eye circles, inability to focus, fatigue, irritability, a feeling of pressure in my sinus area and finally un-abating hunger and water retention. A few years back these symptoms were also accompanied by gastrointestinal problems i.e. gas, constipation, oily or loose stools, but I haven't had problems with that for a while.
I can imagine that it would be advisable to drink more water, but if anyone has any advice that extends beyond common sense I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 11:12 AM

It was suggested to me (by someone on this board) that the digestive enzyme glucoamylase may speed up the recovery time from a gluten accident. I don't know if it works, and I haven't tried it, but it can't hurt to try it, right? If it does work then maybe you can cut the recovery time.

God bless,
Mariann :)
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

#3 ham&ex

ham&ex

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 01:21 PM

Thanks for the advice. I did go out and buy enzymes although, not the one you mentioned, but I'll certainly look into it. I also went and got a massage which I think may be helping flush out my system (I actually felt a little nautious after it.)
It would be great if there was some way to recover more quickly, but a good thing is that each time I accidentally ingest gluten my reaction has been less and less debilitating.

Again, thanks for the advice, Sol.

#4 seeking_wholeness

seeking_wholeness

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 02:47 PM

That was me who mentioned the enzyme glucoamylase, I believe. I think it works best to prevent the autoimmune reaction from starting, rather than shortening the duration after it has begun. I am not an expert on enzymes, so I will just tell you that I read about it here, and let you draw your own conclusions. Other than that, I simply follow common-sense measures to support my body as it recovers from a gluten accident. I hope this helps!
Sarah
gluten-free since November 1, 2003

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: